High mileage or full synthetic oil?

Agree with IronCity. My personal experience with my 04 with 72000 miles is when I changed to synthetic, my rear main developed a leak. Changed back to conventional oil with a quart of Lucas and after 300 miles, leak stopped. Will not be using synthetic in the Jeep in the future. Will see if no leaks when nothing but conventional oil is used at next change. Others on this forum have had the same experience.

I can't find that thread for the life of me. It was very informative. The bottom line is it doesn't make a difference, neither does brand make a difference. Modern oils are all superb. Just change it and the oil filter every 5,000 miles (we know the FSM says 3,000). The rest is marketing hype. The labs have been done. The only situation it's better to run synthetic over conventional is very cold climates where it will flow better. Just use 5w-30 or 10w-30.

Reactions: IronCity
Okay I just read the entire oil thread from the above link. Here's my 2 cents worth. Now a days, since the invention of multi viscosity oil, it doesn't much matter what brand or oil type you use. As was stated, changing it often with a new filter is the most important factors. I personally don't care what it costs me per year for oil changes. I change my own on every rig we own. I change mine every 3K not because anyone told me to, but because I have found the discoloring of modern day oil to occur around that many miles. I have done a bit of research on the matter and the discoloration is mainly due to contamination not oil break down. There are naturally occurring acids and carbons that result from combustion and they get into the oil. The build up and damage over time from contaminates are a bigger concern to me than the lubrication of todays oil. Clean oil, happy engine.

Reactions: UpperMI and JMT
X2, just change the oil and filter and you'll be fine no matter what oil you use. I don't believe in 3,000 mile intervals though, that short of an interval for normal driving didn't come along until Jiffyworld started pushing that interval for obvious reasons. I stick with every 5k miles and conventional motor oils which have worked well for me the last 50+ years, never an engine problem. Though if I lived where it got uber cold during the winter like upstate NY, Minnesota, Alaska, etc. I'd definitely pay extra to run a synthetic during the winter.

Reactions: JMT
X2, just change the oil and filter and you'll be fine no matter what oil you use. I don't believe in 3,000 mile intervals though, that short of an interval for normal driving didn't come along until Jiffyworld started pushing that interval for obvious reasons. I stick with every 5k miles and conventional motor oils which have worked well for me the last 50+ years, never an engine problem. Though if I lived where it got uber cold during the winter like upstate NY, Minnesota, Alaska, etc. I'd definitely pay extra to run a synthetic during the winter.

It seems that your belief in the Jiffylube marketing conspiracy is the reason to let your oil stay in your engine longer. As I said, my decision to change it out at 3K isn't based on anything other than my research and personal observations. I suspect if you visit a lot of threads like this you will find guys who say they change it every 10K and always get 300K miles out of their engines without issue. I just go by my own observations. Oil and filters are cheap compared to problems. I have yet to see any proof that changing oil more often hurts your engine.

I agree with this. I change my oil out every 5-6k miles and have for the past 10 years. I just use whatever oil I can find, as long as it's the right weight. I wouldn't ever waste my money on synthetic unless I had a high performance car (i.e. a Ferrari) where the service manual specifically called for it. Also like Jerry said, if you live in the places with very cold winters, then I could see a benefit to running synthetic. But other than that, I skip it altogether.

I think the 3k mile oil change interval is nothing but a myth. However, if you want to change it out every 3k miles, then by all means, do it. I'm simply saying that in my mind, there's no need to.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I agree with this. I change my oil out every 5-6k miles and have for the past 10 years.

I think the 3k mile oil change interval is nothing but a myth. However, if you want to change it out every 3k miles, then by all means, do it. I'm simply saying that in my mind, there's no need to.
Exactly. And if every 3k miles is better than every 5k miles, maybe every 2k miles is better yet. :D

I am a big fan of syn oils and have run it from the beginning in two of my vehicles; my Silverado has 150k and Honda Fit has 335K without issue. I bought my 05 SE with 101K and put in syn when I did a full maintenance routine on it. Within a few weeks I had a rear main leak that wasn't there when I bought it. I had read about changing to syn in older engines causing/accelerating leaks. Maybe purely coincidence, maybe not, but I switched back to conventional a few days ago so we'll see what happens.

I am a big fan of syn oils and have run it from the beginning in two of my vehicles; my Silverado has 150k and Honda Fit has 335K without issue. I bought my 05 SE with 101K and put in syn when I did a full maintenance routine on it. Within a few weeks I had a rear main leak that wasn't there when I bought it. I had read about changing to syn in older engines causing/accelerating leaks. Maybe purely coincidence, maybe not, but I switched back to conventional a few days ago so we'll see what happens.
I'm not a fan of synthetics except in extreme cold conditions but modern synthetics won't cause leaks like older synthetics earned a reputation for. The manufacturers started adding an additive to synthetics to help insure the seals stay swelled up and leak-free. RMS leaks are common enough that I'm betting it wasn't caused by having switched to a synthetic. :)

Reactions: Chris and Rob5589
RMS leaks are common enough that I'm betting it wasn't caused by having switched to a synthetic.

I'm sure you are right. I switched back anyway. Partially to hopefully avoid having to get under there and replace the rms :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
Check your oil during a fill up...if you can't see dipstick through the oil...change it. Been my philosophy for years and seems to be ok for me. Hell you may be able to go longer! I ain't no mechanic tho!

After being a synthetic oil fan for years, I jumped back on the dino oil band wagon, except for Mama's car. Her Z likes syn.

I haven't changed my Honda's oil with less than 7500 miles, which is where the "change oil" message comes on. I have gone as far as 9k on Castrol full syn. 335k and counting...

Our county fleet mandate is every 7500. And county gov vehicles are not treated nicely! Not a single oil related failure in the 12 years I've been working here.