High travel, high clearance & high octane, a streetable adventure LJ story

If you can fix the belt issue why would you want to do a swap then? And if you do a swap have you narrowed it down to Hemi or LS? I know we aren't talking apples to apples but while I enjoy my V-8 if I was to do it again I would go with a Hemi now instead of the magnum. I know there is a lot of debate over which is the better engine as far as the Hemi or LS. I think it just comes down to which ever you like/want.

Haven't gotten that far yet. If the belt is the issue of all of the problems, I still want more power just because it sounds fun and I'm having doubts that pushing the inline 6 to the limit is the best way.

Seems like a long shot, but do you think something is shifting under load to cause the belt to get thrown out of alignment?

I'm yanking on pulleys hard enough to move the jeep around and nothing so far moves. I need to refresh myself on how the boosted tech bracket attaches to the engine.

I'd start with the harmonic balancer with the engine running and see if it has any wobble at all.

With the engine running visually it appears that there's wobble but I don't think it's cast symmetrical? The other jeep is the same. I placed a feeler in the grooves (no belt on) and I can feel that there's slight variation.

• Wow
Reactions: Wildman
I verified that all of the pulleys do indeed have 6 grooves.

I notice that on the old belt all of the lettering is warn off. I also realized that this belt has only been on for 300 miles.

gotta belt route diagram with that kit? hard to tell the routeing in the pic. those black idlers with no rims might be my 1st suspects they are close and depending how the belt runs those being so close could be takin a tug from the booster thats just enough to jerk it out of balance across those?

anybody close with a dyno? ........you could run it good, and watch the belt.
or light it up bright under the hood and get a go pro mounted in there to watch for yah.

I've been putting all of the little updates about this issue over here so as to not clutter my build thread: https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/engine-experts-needed-chirp-vibe-pop-what-is-wrong.35101/

gotta belt route diagram with that kit?

Here's the routing from the instructions:

2020-05-12_17-21-02.png

those black idlers with no rims might be my 1st suspects they are close and depending how the belt runs those being so close could be takin a tug from the booster thats just enough to jerk it out of balance across those?

The 2 idlers on the SC side are installed in slots. I have verified that they have not permanently moved positions in those slots. I've suspected that they're the issue since the beginning and why I'm replacing the one after the steering pump that may have a mildly bad ball bearing.

anybody close with a dyno? ........you could run it good, and watch the belt.

That is a great idea however nobody does this far north that I've ever found.

or light it up bright under the hood and get a go pro mounted in there to watch for yah.

I'm one step ahead of you! I borrowed one and it's charging as we speak!

Reactions: someguysjeep
Finished! What a great build thread. I started lockdown with the intent of re-reading Larry McMurtry's Lonesome Dove quadrilogy (in chronological not publication order). I made it through Deadman's Walk and Comanche Moon. I picked up Lonesome Dove for the first time in 30-odd years, but didn't get very far before I wandered back into this forum for the first time in a while and stumbled upon this thread. Like Lonesome Dove, it is an epic tale of vision, struggle, commitment and triumph! Bravo @toximus. Well done. I've been inspired to take my rig to its own next level.

And much like McMurtry's masterful dialogue throughout his work, @mrblaine's liberally sprinkled salt made me laugh out loud throughout!

Reactions: toximus
Finished! What a great build thread. I started lockdown with the intent of re-reading Larry McMurtry's Lonesome Dove quadrilogy (in chronological not publication order). I made it through Deadman's Walk and Comanche Moon. I picked up Lonesome Dove for the first time in 30-odd years, but didn't get very far before I wandered back into this forum for the first time in a while and stumbled upon this thread. Like Lonesome Dove, it is an epic tale of vision, struggle, commitment and triumph! Bravo @toximus. Well done. I've been inspired to take my rig to its own next level.

And much like McMurtry's masterful dialogue throughout his work, @mrblaine's liberally sprinkled salt made me laugh out loud throughout!

This thread has been way more work than I ever envisioned to keep writing quality posts for and easily took 1/4 of the time it took to actually do the work of building on the Jeep. Don't worry, I suspect a sequel. ;)

I'll have to keep an eye on your build!

This thread has been way more work than I ever envisioned to keep writing quality posts for and easily took 1/4 of the time it took to actually do the work of building on the Jeep. Don't worry, I suspect a sequel. ;)

I'll have to keep an eye on your build!
I suspect a V8 fueled sequel. 🤔

I put a fresh belt on to do more diagnosing. The replacement idler pulley did finally arrive and I swapped it in but it didn't fix the chirping. I have talked to several people who are running this supercharger kit on the stock 4.0L with 42RLE transmission without issue. And removing the supercharger isn't a great option because then I don't have enough power to really enjoy the 37s. So I did more testing, borrowed a GoPro to watch the belt while driving and finally narrowed it down to the supercharger.

20200512_belt-wobble.jpg

I removed the SC and found that the rotors are damaged like a rock went through them:

20200514_blower-damage.jpg

It's headed back to BoostedTech for repair. They told me they have 1-2 day turnaround time once they receive it so hopefully I'll be back to driving really soon!

I'm convinced that it came this way because I cleaned all of my intake tubes before installing, pressure tested the intake for leaks, and I've only ran the engine with a filter on. And this has been a problem since day 1.

got my junk on the road today. went ok, but the steering is wonky. wants to wander, feels like a dead spot at center.

i see they pulled the toe out of yours at alignment, this was an improvement i assume?
wondering if i should go out and not in. presently i toe in about an 1/8 or so.

got my junk on the road today. went ok, but the steering is wonky. wants to wander, feels like a dead spot at center.

i see they pulled the toe out of yours at alignment, this was an improvement i assume?
It isn't that simple. Is there a head on pic of your steering somewhere? Dry steering test, then power?

I replied on your thread.

Toe was not adjusted during my alignment. It's still toe out by 1/2 turn.

Reactions: someguysjeep
BoostedTech isn't responding to me asking if they received my supercharger (tracking shows they did a week ago). They originally told me 1-2 day turn around time so hopefully that means it'll show up back at my house tomorrow... Or someday...

Thankfully I have other projects to keep me busy and decided to paint my way through Memorial Day weekend.

The Currie machined hubs don't have a coating like I originally thought and have started to rust. I sanded them down and shot them with 2 coats of primer and 3 top coats:

20200524_currie-rusted-hub.jpg

20200525_painted-hub.jpg