High travel, high clearance & high octane, a streetable adventure LJ story

@mrblaine sent me a wonderful heat treated solid 4340 tie rod down from the rock gods. And boy does it look good!

20200525_solid-tie-rod.jpg

20200525_threaded-tierod.jpg

The other tie rod I made was fine and I'll be keeping it as a spare. This one however is nearly indestructible and the heat treating will allow it to spring back into shape when it gets pushed around.

@mrblaine sent me a wonderful heat treated solid 4340 tie rod down from the rock gods. And boy does it look good!

View attachment 164662

View attachment 164663

The other tie rod I made was fine and I'll be keeping it as a spare. This one however is nearly indestructible and the heat treating will allow it to spring back into shape when it gets pushed around.
Omgosh its wonderful.

Reactions: toximus
I have reached a dead end with fixing the chirping, vibrating and popping. BoostedTech is entirely unwilling to work on my unit even at my cost (I'm honestly not sure why they had me send them the unit if they weren't going to check the inner-workings of it). I have not found any reputable companies able to work on the M90 SC. To continue further will require throwing parts at possibly both the engine and supercharger until something sticks and fixes the problem.

My long term plans have been to build a supercharged inline 6 stroker to get 350-400HP. At that time I would need to replace the transmission to a "heavy duty" built 42RLE such as one from ATS Diesel. Since I'm also unhappy with the 2.72:1 ratio in the transfer case I've decided on an Atlas case which will require 2 new driveshafts.

And if I'm building up and spending money on the transmission, transfercase and driveshafts I want to be sure I actually want to stick with the inline 6 engine platform.
So far I'd say that I'm content with the power provided from the supercharged stock 4.0L on my 37s. It returns my Jeep on 37s to roughly feeling like driving stock on 30s and I can maintain highway speeds no problem. It runs 0-60 in 10 seconds and gets between 9MPG if I drive aggressively to 12MPG if I drive gently. Wanting more power is because I enjoy building and it puts a smile on my face.

Sticking with the inline 6 and 42RLE makes swaps and upgrades a plug and play weekend project and can be done incrementally which is convenient and I can still have my Jeep ready to go for trips. I also think the legacy inline 6 is kinda quirky and fun and how cool would a built I6 "LS killer" be?. But it's an outdated platform without a ton of aftermarket support like some other platforms have received. If I really built it up, it'd cost around $8000 for a 270HP 4.6L stroker, another $7000 for a supercharger with more volume than my current M90 to add another 75HP, plus a built 42RLE transmission for $3500 to handle it, which brings the total to $18,500 for less than 350HP pushing it to the limit with no room to safely add more HP. The downside is that this engine wasn't designed for high horsepower and pushing it that hard, especially in hot weather, may require meth injection which is not something I really want to get into since I'm looking for dead nuts reliability. Additionally after this past month of trying to diagnose my current issues I'm realizing that there just isn't much help out there for the inline 6 — and I fear that issues will come up going forward. I enjoy building, I don't enjoy diagnosing engine issues.

Which brings me to the V8 LS and Hemi platforms. These have a strong following and extremely good aftermarket support. Even 50 years from now these platforms will (hopefully) still be well supported. A low mile 350HP 5.3L LS engine including transmission costs less than $5000 with all of the required supporting parts, gauges, brackets, exhaust, etc to fit it into a TJ and do it right. Compare that to the similar horsepower from the I6 stroker build for $18,500. And from what I'm learning another 50HP can be easily added to an LS with reliable mods for only a few hundred dollars in parts and if I'm ever really itching for more HP a low boost supercharger can add another 100-140HP safely for $5000. Point being that for 2/3rds the cost of the 350HP I6 stroker I could have around 500HP and not even be pushing the engine to it's limit. The downside is that this means considerable time my Jeep needs to be stuck in the garage for in order to do it right which will be compounded due to the time it'll take for me to learn what I need to do (I've never swapped an engine before).

If I make the decision now, before upgrading my 4.0L further, I will not have wasted much time or money but if I start building what I have and later decide to switch it's going to be a very costly mistake. I have a lot of consideration to do.

That naturally aspirated LS swap seems like the reasonable and more reliable way to go to me.

Is there a economical way to make an LS swap work with the factory gauges? If not, then a Hemi swap seems like a better solution.

There isn't anyone who will work on that supercharger for you? That seems odd. Eaton superchargers are pretty common. But, you are thorough, as evidenced by this thread, so I'll take your word for it. Do you not have the patience to learn about the SC? There isn't really much to them. Clearances are the most important part. Can you get parts? Before I did anything as drastic and expensive as you're suggesting, I think I'd take a crack at figuring it out myself. What do you have to lose? The SC is already jacked up, so you can't really break it any more.

Of course this all assumes that the engine and transmission are good...

Reactions: Daryl and toximus
TJ parts vultures whenever toximus openly considers his next round of improvements. . .

Other than "because I can" why stroker + s/c instead of a na stroker?

Could you yank the supercharger and wheel the stock 4.0 for the summer season? Then make the LS/Hemi a winter project? Seems like a good way to find any bugs you have besides the engine, so then when winter hits you have a good plan.

That is an option, yes. I could either turn off OD and the supercharger doesn't chirp in that RPM range, or removing the SC and leaving it NA our local 55MPH speed limits are doable. Driving across the country with on ramps and higher speed limits could be problematic with the heavier beadlocks and 37s. With COVID still being a factor and towns/businesses/trails still closed and trail rides canceled I'm starting to think this summer may not be a bad one to build during. It would be fun to still cruise around topless this summer while I get a shopping list together.

I have put on 1400 miles since my build and went on some shake down trips offroad and I'm pretty confident that I've found most bugs and dialed in my build well. The only things remaining to do is finishing up the fuel filler neck and putting the rear coilover covers on, everything else is bonus type stuff I want to do like figuring out a good way to store my tools in the back.

Reactions: Alex01
Check out these guys as they offer both LS & Hemi swaps for your LJ.

https://redrock4wd.com/conversions
Believe me when I tell you I know all about the frustrations when you get done with a build and stuff isn't working like you want or is suppose to. This is exactly what I went thru with my TJ back on 2005/6 after I built it the first time. I got a few years of semi enjoyment out of it but it was never RIGHT and I threw a LOT of money at it trying to get it RIGHT.

I'd do a Hemi swap with a good auto transmission and Atlas and be done with it. You have more choices now with which transmission you can use. And you don't have to mess with the gauges. If the LS swap is more what you want then go for it but I would ditch the stock gauges and run aftermarket gauges if you got with the LS IMHO.

That naturally aspirated LS swap seems like the reasonable and more reliable way to go to me.

I think it comes down to what your goals are. An LS may be reasonable and reliable for me in the same way RJ60 axles are but I'd never consider any of this reasonable or reliable for a Jeep on 35s or if I planned to stay on forest roads.

Is there a economical way to make an LS swap work with the factory gauges? If not, then a Hemi swap seems like a better solution.

From what I've researched for the TJ, you can run 2nd Jeep sensors for the dash while the engine uses the GM sensors. The other option is to use aftermarket gauges in a custom dash panel.

There isn't anyone who will work on that supercharger for you? That seems odd. Eaton superchargers are pretty common. But, you are thorough, as evidenced by this thread, so I'll take your word for it.

I'm sure I can find someone. My concern is if they're reputable and will do it correctly. I have talked to several companies that are certified by Eaton for repair. One tried to help me diagnose it over several phone calls but ultimately said they'd need me to bring them the supercharger installed in the Jeep to go any further (they're 35 hours away so not really something I want to do at this point).

Do you not have the patience to learn about the SC? There isn't really much to them. Clearances are the most important part.

At this point I feel like my foot is already half way out the door do to concerns of future problems and having to deal with months of debugging all over again.

Of course this all assumes that the engine and transmission are good...

And that is a concern too. I do plan to figure out which end is the problem if I do engine swap and sell it.

I think it comes down to what your goals are. An LS may be reasonable and reliable for me in the same way RJ60 axles are but I'd never consider any of this reasonable or reliable for a Jeep on 35s or if I planned to stay on forest roads.

Roger that, I was thinking in comparison too lots of internal work and a very built 4.0.

But hearing Blaine that may not be true.