High travel, high clearance & high octane, a streetable adventure LJ story

I definitely should re-gear down to 5.13 with my 5 speed, but considering I have 230k on my 4.0 and I don't know what I'm going to do when it blows, I'm holding off for now. Jeep doesn't wheel all that often anyways. Put about 500 miles on it since last summer.

Oops! I didn't realize you had the 5 speed. I'm not as familiar with it so take my recommendation with a grain of salt.

I've been dabbling in stroker builds and while you could build one for $8000, you could build one for half that with great reliability. I'll be putting one together in the next year for sure. It seems many who have built strokers are stuck on 87 octane which for me, I don't care about running 93. The inner child in me says V8. The reasonable adult side says keep it as simple as you can. That's why I'm sticking with the stroker.

As far as costs, sure you can build a top dollar stroker with roller rockers etc, but there are well documented, reliable 275+ HP strokers being built for under $3k if you do everything yourself minus machining. If you want boost, you can do up to 8psi or 10 psi on a lower cost build without issue. Personally, that's the progression Ill be looking to take

the business with the SC sucks.
but you drive like you stole it and the v8 will give you what you want.

the business with the SC sucks.

Exactly this. If I go to a stroked inline 6, that's the end of the road.

I will not boost it because there is only one company that sells a SC that packages under my hood. And I refuse to do any more business with them even if their product was to be in good working order.

but you drive like you stole it and the v8 will give you what you want.

I think I shared 1 video of me driving it hard 0-60 and now everybody seems to think I beat on the poor little 4.0l. :cry: 🤣

Seriously though, with you guys talking about never going above 4k rpm you all make me sound like some sort of monster. I never would have considered myself driving it like I stole it.

• Haha
Reactions: TJ Starting
I think I shared 1 video of me driving it hard 0-60 and now everybody seems to think I beat on the poor little 4.0l. :'( 🤣

Seriously though, with you guys talking about never going above 5k rpm you all make me sound like some sort of monster. I never would have considered myself driving it like I stole it.
I drive all my cars like I stole them.

I think I shared 1 video of me driving it hard 0-60 and now everybody seems to think I beat on the poor little 4.0l. :cry: 🤣

Seriously though, with you guys talking about never going above 4k rpm you all make me sound like some sort of monster. I never would have considered myself driving it like I stole it.
I've never gotten into one of mine and taken it out of the driveway that it doesn't go to 4K at every shift until I get up to the speed that I'm after. That isn't even hammering on them, just slightly enthusiastic driving about 1/2 to slightly more throttle.

I've never gotten into one of mine and taken it out of the driveway that it doesn't go to 4K at every shift until I get up to the speed that I'm after. That isn't even hammering on them, just slightly enthusiastic driving about 1/2 to slightly more throttle.

That's what I was thinking. I know for sure that I've held it around redline on more than one occasion with no adverse effects.

Reactions: Apparition
LS exhaust has always been a wildcard for me. Space is so limited already adding double the manifold / header seems difficult. I have always preferred to look at straight options vs V but obviously people do it all the time

It took me a minute to find it but I came across this idea the other day:

https://www.pirate4x4.com/threads/brave-motorsports-4500-tj-build.2122146/page-5
I'm not sure that it's what I'd actually want to do, but does show outside the box thinking.

15000591_10206529208303507_8224786663736506722_o_zpssahkrlam.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: TJ Starting
i'm not knockin ya, if you can't have fun why bother.
i don't baby mine. thats why i got it, it's a tractor sized go cart.

starting to lean heavily toward tractor.

• Love
Reactions: toximus
Sounds like for your needs an LS is the way to go. I understand the desire of some to go with a Hemi since it’s in the family, but the aftermarket support of putting an LS into something it doesn’t fit in is incredible.

If I was to swap a motor from stock or had the need for more power in any vehicle my first consideration would be an LS. Used, ~100k mi, with transmission and ecu can be had for about $2k.

That's what I was thinking. I know for sure that I've held it around redline on more than one occasion with no adverse effects.

Im consistently pushing mine hard and cruise 75-80 every time Im on the highway. Its kinda required around where I live but even with 226k it doesn't skip a beat.

I have only seen videos. Some crazy builds there!
I think you going would inspire you to figure out how to LS the Jeep! Very additive event even at a spectator level. If you can make it, take a helmet and you can ride in the autocross event. That's my fiancee favorite part each year.

wish this was 3mo ago there were 3 crate LS's for sale brand new with trans and comp and harness........they went for 5k ea.

• Wow
Reactions: Wildman