High travel, high clearance & high octane, a streetable adventure LJ story

I think you going would inspire you to figure out how to LS the Jeep! Very additive event even at a spectator level. If you can make it, take a helmet and you can ride in the autocross event. That's my fiancee favorite part each year.

It looks like LS Fest West was canceled this year but I might be able to make LS Fest East work. I'll look into that event.

FB marketplace
they were sweet............palleted brand new w/trans attached and gauge cluster as well.
and these were swap engines, with no predetermined designation. few listed around me now but nothin like those.

• Wow
Reactions: toximus and Wildman
I didn't expect my build thread to end like this; it's a well built Jeep that so far has been absolutely on point on the street and offroad — I couldn't ask for more in that regard — but it doesn't have enough power to drive on the highway well with the stock 4.0L.

It is very upsetting to me that there is the viable option of supercharging the stock 4.0L engine to get the power needed to move the 37s adequately. The M90 supercharger packages well, it runs great (aside from the issue I am having), and yet the company selling the solution has no clue how to support the product they're selling and moreover is unwilling to. In some ways this makes me hesitate even recommending 37s on a Jeep TJ/LJ because the stock 4.0L doesn't have enough power and the other supercharger and turbo options available just won't package with the build I've outlined here over the last 2 years. An engine swap being the best option is absurd.

I have decided not to stick with the inline 6 due to concerns of long term support. I will be LS swapping and getting all of the drivetrain parts I didn't touch already up to snuff. You heard that right! LS time!!

As I'm at the end of what I originally thought would be my build, I've been thinking back at the journey thus far and I am reminded that if you're not failing at something, you're not trying hard enough. Failing is part of it. If you're not trying hard enough to fail, you're in trouble, because that teaches you more.

20200508_goodbye.jpg

This is officially the end of my build thread in the sense that it's the end of an instruction manual. After this there will be minor tweaks and improvements of a few minor things I want to improve.

Because a lot of people have been referencing this build thread for their own builds (there has been over 172,000 views so far!) I have decided to start a separate thread for the engine swap phase of this build. Any updates to my build that are NOT engine related will continue to be posted here as normal. I still stand behind everything I've covered in this build thread so I hope it continues to inspire more great builds! As always, feel free to continue discussions and ask any questions you have! And I hope you follow my new engine build thread where I'll focus on how I chose my engine, fitting it in, integrating with the Jeep wiring, making it run, and how to do a clean install!

Check it out: Higher horses, higher revs & even higher torque, a streetable LJ engine swap

In the excitement of my engine swap I haven't forgotten about this thread!

As one last hurrah before pulling the engine I'm taking ol' Red to Apple Valley Farms for some fun in 2 weekends. I had totally forgotten about this event while dealing with the mess that is my supercharger and while ordering some LS brackets I put 2-and-2 together and realized that I was talking to a guy who's been following my build thread and he reminded me of the event. So we're meeting up!

I created a little to do list before the event:

• Remove supercharger and revert engine plumbing back to stock.
  • Rig up 2lb fire extinguisher within reach of the driver as per the rules (I've been meaning to do this anyway)
  • Buy 2" recovery strap per the rules (I gave mine away after upgrading to a real recovery rope) I talked to the event organizer and they're okay with my rope.
  • Check jam nuts and ziptie lines to front UCA.
  • If I have time left over I'll finish up rebuilding the half doors and get armor on them. I might also adjust the coilover preload to compensate for removing the supercharger.

Reactions: SubLime

As one last hurrah before pulling the engine I'm taking ol' Red to Apple Valley Farms for some fun in 2 weekends. I had totally forgotten about this event while dealing with the mess that is my supercharger and while ordering some LS brackets I put 2-and-2 together and realized that I was talking to a guy who's been following my build thread and he reminded me of the event. So we're meeting up!

• Rig up 2lb fire extinguisher within reach of the driver as per the rules (I've been meaning to do this anyway)
  • Buy 2" recovery strap per the rules (I gave mine away after upgrading to a real recovery rope) I talked to the event organizer and they're okay with my rope.
  • If I have time left over I'll finish up rebuilding the half doors and get armor on them. I might also adjust the coilover preload to compensate for removing the supercharger.

Wish I didn’t have to work that weekend, would love to see your Jeep

Will you run the rebuilt supercharger before yanking the engine? I’d think you’d want to know if it’s gtg or not for selling.

Wish I didn’t have to work that weekend, would love to see your Jeep

Unfortunately the entry fee $30 + $20/adult isn't conducive to stopping by, but if your work schedule changes let me know and I'm sure you'd be welcome to join our group! From what I understand, on Saturday there's open trails ranging from mild to wild, a hill climb style rock race to watch (or participate in if you're feeling wild), and a night trail ride.

Reactions: SubLime
Will you run the rebuilt supercharger before yanking the engine? I’d think you’d want to know if it’s gtg or not for selling.

I'd love to get to the bottom of it, but I don't have time to wait on it being returned. I never want to sell bad parts as good however. What I do know is that the stock engine/trans has been worry free for 15 years and 83k miles (and I'll be putting another 1k miles on without the supercharger before pulling the engine to verify) and once I get it back the rebuilt/replaced supercharger will be exactly the same as if you bought a kit directly from BoostedTech.

Reactions: Rick Flair
Unfortunately the entry fee $30 + $20/adult isn't conducive to stopping by, but if your work schedule changes let me know and I'm sure you'd be welcome to join our group! From what I understand, on Saturday there's open trails ranging from mild to wild, a hill climb style rock race to watch (or participate in if you're feeling wild), and a night trail ride.

I work 6pm to 6am all weekend, live in Chippewa, have been to AVF a few times.
They raised the price this year, It was cheap enough to show up for a few hours before.
The hill climb race is pretty cool. Have fun!

Reactions: toximus

i noticed the other day the upper is taking a lot of heat from the exhaust.
to the point i worry if zip ties will fail due to it. any notice of heat in that upper after running? maybe my steel is retaining it more than your aluminum?

to the point i worry if zip ties will fail due to it. any notice of heat in that upper after running? maybe my steel is retaining it more than your aluminum?
If you're worried about heat you could always go with metal zip ties or hose clamps.

I haven't noticed any degradation yet. I had removed the zip ties previously to adjust the UCA and now I need to tidy it up.

If yours are failing I'd be concerned about the fluids in those hoses.

I haven't noticed any degradation yet. I had removed the zip ties previously to adjust the UCA and now I need to tidy it up.

If yours are failing I'd be concerned about the fluids in those hoses.

i don't give a rats ass about those zip ties, they have not failed as of yet but the other day i did notice the temp of that link and i don't like it..........i'm more worried about the heat it's possibly transferring to the brake line.
the plastic locker air line might also not agree with hot temps, i may have to consider some heat wrap and standoff's

Ties are zipped and nuts are jammed.
Skids are washed and back under the Jeep.
The engine is converted back to naturally aspirated with some rigging.
I bungee corded down a fire extinguisher (I want to do a more secure mount in the future but I first want to see what I need to cut to make the new transmission fit).
Rear wheel well flaps are back in.
CB radio is back in.
Front tires are on.

With the slightly smaller alternator pulley and power steering pulley compared to stock, I found that the TJ length belt wasn't tensioned as high as I'd like so I replaced the belt with one size smaller (Gates K060878). It took the tensioner from about halfway between the tensioner markings to fully tensioned. This will also allows me to carry the old belt as a spare this coming weekend.

20200613_removed-supercharger.jpg