High travel, high clearance & high octane, a streetable adventure LJ story

A wrap could be a good idea.
Like a pixel camo wrap maybe?
FE5A1B02-8938-4EE4-82EC-CB185994472D.jpeg

Reactions: Apparition
Practicality says to keep it raw or paint a color that is easy to repair.

Reactions: Daryl
is that the GR fender brace?
how do you think that would work out around the OE flare contour? having done all the work to my front end it'd be nice to have some additional support panels, and eliminate my cheezy fender vents. not real expensive, i'd go for those if they fit.

did you have to grind down the JEEP logo?

is that the GR fender brace?
how do you think that would work out around the OE flare contour? having done all the work to my front end it'd be nice to have some additional support panels, and eliminate my cheezy fender vents. not real expensive, i'd go for those if they fit.

did you have to grind down the JEEP logo?

Are you referring to this?

20200617_front-armor-panel-mockup-jpg.jpg

I popped the Jeep logo a couple of times with a soft faced hammer. I cut the panel myself so it could be adapted to the stock fenders.

Reactions: someguysjeep
The new driver side half door sometimes wouldn't open with the exterior door latch unless I'd push the door in while opening. I took a look inside and adjusted the linkage so it opens perfectly every time.

20200708_door-latch-adjust.jpg

I've been meaning to get armor on the doors for a while now. During my first trip out back in May I tapped the driver's side door in against a friend's bumper going past him on a trail he was stuck on — he was okay with it but I wasn't quite ready for that kind of damage. The next trip out, just by luck, I narrowly missed the door again with a rock that jutted out on a hill climb.

I thought I was taking the easy route by buying Genright's half door armor. And you all know by now how excited I get with kits. Of course the kit had to disappoint me because it seems that they laid out the bolts using CAD instead of using an actual door except at the front where they had some fear of putting a nutsert into the "hat" so I had to place those myself.

20200709_genright-half-door-panel.jpg

20200724_half-door-nutserts.jpg

20200724_half-door-armor-installed.jpg

I had sneaked a little peak at this last month, but I finally finished the front fender area armor panels.

Template:

20200312_front-armor-template.jpg

I originally was going to tie into the windshield frame brackets but these are at a different angle so rather than risk a sloppy fit I shortened the panel:

20200617_6061-t6-front-armor-cut.jpg

I sealed off the radio antenna hole with 3M protective film:

20200524_3m-film.jpg

I popped the Jeep logo a couple of times to allow the panel to sit flush with the body. When installing it's easier to start with the bottom nuterts, bolt on the panel, and then work on the top nutserts.

20200726_front-nutserts.jpg

I made sure each nutsert was located precisely to fit into cavities on the body. If needed another could be added just below the seam on the tub (above the lower hinge).

20200726_shortened-armor.jpg

For countersinking all of these bolts I have found that a piloted through-hole countersink gives the nicest finish on aluminum and it doesn't require a drill press to get good results. https://www.mcmaster.com/2739A66/

20200726_countersink.jpg

This panel does firm up the front fenders and grill and prevents them from flopping around so much. I'd say the front clip now moves around about as much as with stock fenders. Some movement is needed up front so the body doesn't distort or crack when the Jeep flexes so hopefully I don't end up with unwanted side effects.

The result is true wheel to wheel armor so I can slide the Jeep along a rock down the entire length.

20200726_front-fender-armor-installed.jpg

I had sneaked a little peak at this last month, but I finally finished the front fender area armor panels.

Template:

View attachment 179681

I originally was going to tie into the windshield frame brackets but these are at a different angle so rather than risk a sloppy fit I shortened the panel:

View attachment 179682

View attachment 179683

I popped the Jeep logo a couple of times to allow the panel to sit flush with the body. When installing it's easier to start with the bottom nuterts, bolt on the panel, and then work on the top nutserts.

View attachment 179684

I made sure each nutsert was located precisely to fit into cavities on the body. If needed another could be added just below the seam on the tub (above the lower hinge).

View attachment 179685

For countersinking all of these bolts I have found that a piloted through-hole countersink gives the nicest finish on aluminum and it doesn't require a drill press to get good results. https://www.mcmaster.com/2739A66/

View attachment 179686

This panel does firm up the front fenders and grill and prevents them from flopping around so much. I'd say the front clip now moves around about as much as with stock fenders. Some movement is needed up front so the body doesn't distort or crack when the Jeep flexes so hopefully I don't end up with unwanted side effects.

The result is true wheel to wheel armor so I can slide the Jeep along a rock down the entire length.

View attachment 179687
Looks great.

Here is a few paint ideas to go with you new armor.
3695F91E-48FB-4A3F-809C-076D780AB6E4.jpeg

Template:

View attachment 179681

View attachment 179682

View attachment 179683

View attachment 179684

View attachment 179685

View attachment 179686

View attachment 179687
Hey what tool/method did you use to follow the profile of your carboard cutout so well on that tub armor. I'm going to do similars when i add the Savvy tub slider, try to get a single rub path like you have.

Hey what tool/method did you use to follow the profile of your carboard cutout so well on that tub armor. I'm going to do similars when i add the Savvy tub slider, try to get a single rub path like you have.

I traced the cardboard onto the blank panel and then followed up with calipers, scribe, straight edge, angle, to get the lines perfect before shaping with an angle grinder.

Reactions: someguysjeep