Higher horses, higher revs & even higher torque, a streetable LJ engine swap

Got caught up a bit late here. Glad you got the case. How is it progressing?

Unfortunately no progress. I've been working 80-90 hour work weeks and am exhausted at the end of each day. I wrapped up a big work project last night at midnight and it's looking like my hours can return to normal. I also took the next 4 days off of work so once I recover I'll hopefully have some progress to show.

Reactions: Chris and Sj's TJ
Unfortunately no progress. I've been working 80-90 hour work weeks and am exhausted at the end of each day. I wrapped up a big work project last night at midnight and it's looking like my hours can return to normal. I also took the next 4 days off of work so once I recover I'll hopefully have some progress to show.
Gotcha. I got to wheel my new Atlas once and it was glorious and better than I imagined. My rear Dana 44 is bent and I think the extra torque help fully kill my ARB and axle shaft splines. So I'm on the hunt for housings as I already scored a Detroit locker and shafts from Blaine.

Gotcha. I got to wheel my new Atlas once and it was glorious and better than I imagined. My rear Dana 44 is bent and I think the extra torque help fully kill my ARB and axle shaft splines. So I'm on the hunt for housings as I already scored a Detroit locker and shafts from Blaine.
Were those the 44 shafts and locker?

First order of business is bolting on the accessories to the engine. My thought here is by doing so I'll have a good idea of the final physical size and get more familiar with the engine outside of the Jeep.

Because I'll be operating my Jeep (and thus engine) at various extreme angles I decided to add in rear steam vents to the block. This video helps explain the reason why LS engines need steam vents:

Later model LS engines like mine block off the rear steam vents with a rivet of sorts:

20plug%20or%20cover%20in%20cylinder%20heads_Page_1.png

20plug%20or%20cover%20in%20cylinder%20heads_Page_2.png

Reactions: 5632 and Indy

To get the plugs out I decided to place my engine on a stand and rotate it upside down to drill them out. This way all of the chips would fall out vs falling into the coolant passage.

I bought a cheapy Harbor Freight 750lb engine stand (which I would not recommend if you want to use it long term... it's very difficult to turn and doesn't feel very stable.).

To get the engine onto the stand I used a lift plate from Motion Raceworks (https://www.motionraceworks.com/products/gen-4-ls2-ls3-ls7-lsx-engine-lift-plate) and the hoist.

Intake removed:
20201025_ls3-intake-removed.jpg

After I removed the valley cover I bolted on the lift plate:
20201025_engine-hoist.jpg

The rear vent plugs:
20201113_rear-steam-vents.jpg

20201113_steam-vent-plug.jpg

I bolted the engine to the stand with class 10.9 M10x1.5 70mm long bolts (https://www.mcmaster.com/93474A228/). And then rotisseried the engine upside down and drilled the plugs out. I'm pretty sure GM pre-fills these crate engines with oil because a few quarts went all over my garage floor... :(

With the engine upright again I loosely bolted on a steam vent kit I bought from from Motion Raceworks (https://www.motionraceworks.com/pro...ossover-steam-kit-for-low-pro-plastic-intakes):

20201113_motion-raceworks-steam-vent-kit.jpg

For the front I decide to leave the OEM LS3 vents on for now. Once I have a better idea of how I'm routing hoses I'll make a decision if I'm replacing them for the billet ones like the rear.

20201113_ls3-oem-front-steam-vents.jpg

Reactions: Nickgsjeep and Indy
To give myself a head start with making my own motor mounts, I bought engine side plates from Kartek (KTK34191). Because the crate engine doesn't come with many of the necessary bolts, I decided to dress her up a little bit and attached the plates to the block with stainless steel bolts from ARP (434-3103).

20201113_motor-mount-plate.jpg

20201113_ls-mount-plates.jpg

That's always an amazing feeling when you yank that engine out. Have fun with the mock up to follow.

Reactions: toximus
Tomorrow's supposed to be a steamy 50F so I put off washing the engine bay and cleaned up the garage today and did some fun driveline comparisons instead. There is many size and proportion differences between the two and both aren't aligned the same in these pictures, and thus this comparison isn't meant to be exact science, rather just a brief look with rough measurements.

Measuring from the front of the accessory belt to the face of the rear yoke:
  • The total length of the stock 4.0L + 42RLE + NP231 is approximately 68-1/2".
  • The total length of the LS3 + 6L80E + Atlas 2 is approximately 63-3/4".

How that breaks down for the stock driveline:
  • 4.0L - 30-1/2"
  • 42RLE - 24-1/4"
  • NP231 (with SSSYE) - 13-3/4"

How that breaks down for the new GM driveline:
  • LS3 (with corvette belt spacing) - 24-3/4"
  • 6L80E (includes 4" adapter) - 27"
  • Atlas 2 - 11-3/4"

20201118_i6-ls3-compare-front.jpg

20201118_i6-ls3-compare-rear.jpg

20201118_i6-ls3-compare-top.jpg

The Jeep raised up quite a bit without the weight of the driveline:

20201118_jeep-side-no-engine.jpg

In this picture, the 6L80E pan gasket is on the bottom with the 42RLE pan on top. The 6L80E keeps the pan under the transmission while the 42RLE rotates the pan to be wider. Because of this I think I'll have some more room for the front driveshaft.

• 42RLE pan width: 14-1/2"
  • 6L80E pan width: 12"

20201118_42rle-6l80e-pan-size.jpg