Higher horses, higher revs & even higher torque, a streetable LJ engine swap

Looks like you are missing A/C. All your other selections are great.

I have the provisions for A/C but I need to first figure out where there's room to place the compressor before mounting it on the accessory drive. That will also determine which pulley offset I go with.

I have the provisions for A/C but I need to first figure out where there's room to place the compressor before mounting it on the accessory drive. That will also determine which pulley offset I go with.
Check the Holly conversion set up. Works great for me.

Check the Holly conversion set up. Works great for me.
Do you have a link? If I remember correctly they have a compressor with the Corvette (CTS-V) offset and one with their own offset (which is massive). Unfortunately they place the other items such as the alternator in the way of my differential.

Do you have a link? If I remember correctly they have a compressor with the Corvette (CTS-V) offset and one with their own offset (which is massive). Unfortunately they place the other items such as the alternator in the way of my differential.
www.holley.com
Holley Accessory Drive Kit
Part Number 20-133

Mine works absolutely great with no problems.

I found this diagram of Holley's 20-133:

lowaccd1899.jpg

It looks like Dave's Customs Unlimited version is tucked in closer at the expense of requiring truck spacing:

DCU-LSACB-3__47181.1485843500.1280.1280.jpg

When I was researching the 6L80e I couldn't find any comparisons to the 42RLE so here's some more pictures with them next to each other aligned the same.

20201119_6l80e-vs-42rle-top.jpg

This picture is a bit deceiving due to the perspective, but the small area that shows through on top of the 6L80e is the biggest area of difference:

20201119_6l80e-vs-42rle-side.jpg

With the pans sitting on the same level surface, the centerlines (ie. input and output centers) of both transmissions are at roughly the same height.

20201119_differences.jpg

And lastly I washed the engine bay and my garage floor before pulling the Jeep back in:

20201119_washed-engine-bay.jpg

When I was researching the 6L80e I couldn't find any comparisons to the 42RLE so here's some more pictures with them next to each other aligned the same.

View attachment 204607

This picture is a bit deceiving due to the perspective, but the small area that shows through on top of the 6L80e is the biggest area of difference:

View attachment 204608

With the pans sitting on the same level surface, the centerlines (ie. input and output centers) of both transmissions are at roughly the same height.

20201119_differences.jpg

And lastly I washed the engine bay and my garage floor before pulling the Jeep back in:

View attachment 204609
Looks great. Is this trans swap not viable for a 4.0, 241 combo?

Reactions: Wildman
I was eyeing paddle shifters but I couldn't figure out a good way to do it and keep the air bag (priority since I don't want to wear a helmet everywhere). I settled on a tap shifter though.

That's kool I just know if I had a newer trans I'd be looking at this hard. I'd like to be able to tap shift it. The only thing I'd not like is going from drive or 1st to reverse in a hurry.

Looks great. Is this trans swap not viable for a 4.0, 241 combo?

If you had a way to adapt/bolt them together, I think it's possible that the 6L80e would physically package under a stock or even tucked TJ without modifying the tunnel (at least much). With a little development and talking to the right people, my understanding is that it would be possible to control the 6L80e with the 4.0L in front of it.

Obviously, that's my initial thoughts and I haven't actually fit it under my own Jeep yet...

Reactions: Wildman
That's kool I just know if I had a newer trans I'd be looking at this hard. I'd like to be able to tap shift it. The only thing I'd not like is going from drive or 1st to reverse in a hurry.

Reverse will still be controlled by the position of the shift lever in the gate and not by the tap shift. I have my own recipe I've been cooking for a modified rock gate so I can do a quick shift into reverse when necessary but still feel the positions in the gate.

Reverse will still be controlled by the position of the shift lever in the gate and not by the tap shift. I have my own recipe I've been cooking for a modified rock gate so I can do a quick shift into reverse when necessary but still feel the positions in the gate.

Never driving a rig with tap shifters I really don't know how they work other than watching videos of high end cars being driven FAST.

I just liked the idea of not having to take my hands off the steering wheel especially when wheeling. For me I'm not worried about the air bag as I've been toyin with the idea of removing them since mine is a 80-85% trail rig.

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
I haven't read through this completely but just want to offer a suggestion for accessories drive. I have two buddies running this set up (non Jeep applications) both had very tight engine compartments. From what I can tell in person, it tucks everything in nice, tight and high. The price is steep but may fit the build. There are various options avaliable.

https://www.holley.com/products/ls_...id_mount/complete_accessory_kits/parts/20-185

20-180_dim17341.jpg

Reactions: Nickgsjeep
I haven't read through this completely but just want to offer a suggestion for accessories drive. I have two buddies running this set up (non Jeep applications) both had very tight engine compartments. From what I can tell in person, it tucks everything in nice, tight and high. The price is steep but may fit the build. There are various options avaliable.

https://www.holley.com/products/ls_...id_mount/complete_accessory_kits/parts/20-185

View attachment 204685

I talked to Holley about their mid-mount (what you linked to) and the spacing is unique to their kit and is significantly more than even truck spacing. I expect I'm going to be moving the engine as forward as possible so that might be an issue. PSC sells a steering pump (I require a high flow pump) that may work with the Holley mid-mount kit but the minimal belt wrap is a concern.

I set the frame at ride height and placed the front axle at full bump and then lowered the new engine down:

20201121_lowering-LS3.jpg

I bolted up the transmission and am pretty happy with how it's packaging. The LS is definitely a different shape than the I6. I'll know a lot more how it needs to sit once I get the Atlas in the rear.

20201121_packaging-LS3.jpg

I need to find a cover to fill this gap between the engine and transmission:

20201121_flexplate-cover-needed.jpg

I was surprised by how much farther back the I6 was able to sit in the engine bay when compared with the V8 - due to the shape of the firewall. When I started mine I had assumed I’d have much more room up front given the shorter length of the Hemi - but nit so much.