Holding back rust

Very good to know- I don’t have an impact, but I’ll get my mechanic to pop the loose with his next run I’m there. How bout tightening them again after - anybody know appropriate ft-lbs?
YES the nuts break off easy, and as soon as it spins with the nut, you are in trouble. Poor design, the nuts are tack-welded inside the frame.

I tacked welded 1/4" spacers on the skid plate itself so i did not have to fiddle with washers as I fit it back on. With the holes between the bolts it allows you to fluid film when the plate is off so you can get some all along the inside of the frame.
The above post from tj addict about power washing them after the trail makes sense as long as there are drain holes to clear the wash.I wish I was lucky enough to live in a dry climate as texas is and not the rust belt as I do. No frame problems at all.

I have my Eastwood’s internal coating ready to go, but would like to follow that with fluid film - where are you guys buying fluid film?

Amazon has it as well as lowes. I ended up shelling out some cash and buying the gallon kit to use with a paintbrush or compressor. Doing a LIBERAL application on a small pickup like the Taco took about 6-10 cans (60-100 bucks). The gallon kit usually lasts me 2-3 applications and is only 55 shipped. Worth the investment to buy the gallon.

Great ideas for frame maintenance on here so far. What about the ominous rocker rust that happens in the vertical panel under the door opening? What causes that? Leaks into the tub that accumulate and don't drain or is it coming up from the underside of the tub?

Great ideas for frame maintenance on here so far. What about the ominous rocker rust that happens in the vertical panel under the door opening? What causes that? Leaks into the tub that accumulate and don't drain or is it coming up from the underside of the tub?
On mine, the rockers rusted due to the factory "rock rails" trapping moisture. There are also a couple of blind, closed off areas near the front and rear fenders that will trap garbage.

You probably did say it before, and I wasn’t around for it. Thanks! Anybody else have .02$ to contribute on skid plate spacing?
That's fine to do. After a suspension lift, when people get driveline vibes, they often put spacers between the frame and skid plate in order to lessen the driveline angles and get rid of their vibes. They will often put up to a 1" spacer (or even more) in there. So it is totally fine to put a washer or two in there to leave it open to apply fluid film, etc...That is a common place for our TJ's to develop rust.

In addition, if you strip those nutserts out, just get some new one's from Black Magic Brakes. They're easy to install once you break the bolt free from the originals.

Can anyone comment on where they'd drill the front drain holes? I've got the rear finished near the lower control arm mounts but I'm not sure where to put the front ones in (auto transmission)

I'll upload a photo when I'm off mobile it's not loading at the moment

Nobody has mentioned it so I will.

At the two low points of the frame on each side (so 4) drill drain holes. These are right by the control arm attach points.

I have some fairly superficial internal rust and what there is is right at those 2 low points and where the ski plate attached.

Oh and Eastman Interior Frame Coating. Comes with a hose and a 360 nozzle so you can seal everything up inside.

Nobody has mentioned it so I will.

At the two low points of the frame on each side (so 4) drill drain holes. These are right by the control arm attach points.

I have some fairly superficial internal rust and what there is is right at those 2 low points and where the ski plate attached.

Oh and Eastman Interior Frame Coating. Comes with a hose and a 360 nozzle so you can seal everything up inside.

Yeah I've got all that, I think I have an additional bracket tho in front of the tranny skid because of the auto transmission. That bracket is bolted right behind the front lower control arms, the area you described. I'm wondering if it's safe to drill right between the two (where the frame dips and where that backet is bolted.

Adding a photo - I'm trying to confirm the recommended spot to drill the front drain holes. Can I go between this bracket and the front LCA mount? Or am I better off behind the bracket (between it and the tranny skid plate)?

Any comments appreciated....