Homemade tire carrier

Jeffcarpenter

I’m pretty sure there’s a lot of write ups on homemade tire carriers. Here’s how I built mine with free Craigslist stuff and a $9 pin.

Materials from Craigslist (free):
Bicycle
Square tube lumber rack

Materials laying around:
Old Jeep axle
Misc. metal

Remove pedal assembly
1B6019C9-C461-4B4E-9820-E33868C02B67.jpeg

0EF4BAB1-81B9-4563-A44A-70AB88F6FAFD.jpeg

Drill hole in bumper and weld
59F2B507-3D94-4E6A-BEDE-5BF5EC269A3F.jpeg

Measure and cut lumber rack
E92BB7ED-7D9A-44A5-A7E1-D6863F96990C.jpeg
1C58D340-343E-469B-B3CC-BE568443B0E6.jpeg

Wife’s old cutting board for support
image.jpg

Small angle iron to minimize sag when opened (or stupid ass friends wanting to hang on it)
image.jpg

$9 pin from Lowe’s and random Allen key I had laying around
image.jpg

Measure, drill and use studs from old Jeep axle
image.jpg

Drill and tapped for hi lift (will replace with studs later)
B3651617-1A81-405F-8F65-16DFED88B20C.jpeg

Factory tire bumps attached with self tap screws. Notice difference in thickness
image.jpg

Took a few hours to make but it was cheap.
Thanks to the poor air quality in Ca, it gave me something to do indoors.

I was just about to post a new threat asking if anyone had done anything like this. Thanks for the "blue print"!

Nice work. I need to get around to makining one. My Jeep came with a Chinese bumper/tire carrier and want to make a new one before it breaks. I like how you integrated the suicide jack. My hi lift is sitting in the garage right now as it was on the hood when I got the Jeep and I didn’t like that.

What was the seat post used 4?
What was the pedal assembly used 4?
I used the pedal assembly for the spindle. It’s tied back to my armor for more support because the spindle only has one shear point. The support bracket goes thru the armor and I have a fender washer (distribute weight) with nylok nut.
In the future, I will be replacing the ball bearings for roller bearings.

I used the pedal assembly for the spindle. It’s tied back to my armor for more support because the spindle only has one shear point. The support bracket goes thru the armor and I have a fender washer (distribute weight) with nylok nut.
In the future, I will be replacing the ball bearings for roller bearings.
Do you get much noise or "chatter" from things rattling around or does it not move much?

Do you get much noise or "chatter" from things rattling around or does it not move much?
Surprisingly, it doesn’t rattle at all. I’m assuming the rubber stop and wax/plastic cutting board prevent it. So far I have done freeway driving, speed bumps, crappy city streets and light trails with no rattle. Occasional chatter when going a little faster over speed bumps (10mph instead of 5mph)

Reactions: TreverStevens
That bicycle bottom bracket "hinge" conglomeration won't survive long. Keep an eye out for the cars behind you when they need to get out of the way of your carrier with a tire attached to it.