Hood Louvre

JMT

Just another auto...
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
This week I had two unfortunate incidences. On Monday my son was throwing a rock out of the garage, it deflected off the raised garage door and hit the windshield. On Tuesday I was changing the oil and a crazy gust of wind threw my hood up to the windshield header. The windshield can be replaced easily but the bent hood is more pricey. It left a straight seam across the raised center section of the hood. I beat some of it out so it’s not horrible, but I can’t fix the part where our hoods slope down on each side. I’ll post pics here in a minute. Would a hood louvre like Rusty’s or Poison Spyder conceal it? Plus it would give my engine some ventilation.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078CXSNR7/?tag=wranglerorg-20

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KDO30LY/?tag=wranglerorg-20

16C5658D-B6FB-46A7-81A8-B4BFDAC39E1C.jpeg

B26D896A-CD5F-45DC-BCC2-18008826C7A2.jpeg

E961511B-D8A5-47F6-856E-0998E651C3A7.jpeg

I know a little hard to see, but look around the center of the pics for the damage.

Last edited:
It looks like those require cutting the hood. If you were considering a louvre before the damage I’d say go for it. If you’re considering a louvre to replace the damaged area I’d run it by a body shop and see what they would charge to straighten it back out before cutting the hood.

Reactions: KCsTJ and JMT
I had the poison spider on my JKU...for looks as is it was still under warranty so I did not want to cut the hood. I think they look better on a JK than a TJ myself but not horrible by any means. It could be a cheaper way to fix the hood and in TX it will let some of the heat out.

This week I had two unfortunate incidences. On Monday my son was throwing a rock out of the garage, it deflected off the raised garage door and hit the windshield. On Tuesday I was changing the oil and a crazy gust of wind threw my hood up to the windshield header. The windshield can be replaced easily but the bent hood is more pricey. It left a straight seam across the raised center section of the hood. I beat some of it out so it’s not horrible, but I can’t fix the part where our hoods slope down on each side. I’ll post pics here in a minute. Would a hood louvre like Rusty’s or Poison Spyder conceal it? Plus it would give my engine some ventilation.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078CXSNR7/?tag=wranglerorg-20

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KDO30LY/?tag=wranglerorg-20

View attachment 38032
View attachment 38033
View attachment 38034
I know a little hard to see, but look around the center of the pics for the damage.
I have a 2005 Jeep TJ Rubicon and recently had a Spider Louver hood cover installed. On the 05, there is a single brace running down the center of the hood, so there were two cuts, one on each side of the brace. I had planned to do it but just couldn't pull the trigger cutting my hood, so I had a nearby custom shop do it. They unfortunately didn't protect the windshield as well as they should have, so they gave me a new one the next day. All that said, I'm in Florida and it gets hot and the louvers do help dissipate the heat in the engine bay. They also look way cool (check out my avatar). Personally, were I you I would go with the louver.

JMT since u are able to repair some of the crease across the middle, you might consider the louvers that go along both sides of the hood (6" x 18" roughly don't know who makes them sorry) the side louvres might help conceal the side creases?
Your links may have showed these louvres, couldn't d/l pics today, grr.
If you have to cut into the hood, I say consider the side louvres only, it leaves more of your beautiful Jeep red color showing. You could always add the large center louvres later if u decide. :)

Reactions: JMT
One other idea may be to consider a shop that restores vintage vehicles.
They are in the business of repairing parts that are no longer made or are too expensive to purchase so they would understand the need to repair back to original condition.

JMT since u are able to repair some of the crease across the middle, you might consider the louvers that go along both sides of the hood (6" x 18" roughly don't know who makes them sorry) the side louvres might help conceal the side creases?
Your links may have showed these louvres, couldn't d/l pics today, grr.
If you have to cut into the hood, I say consider the side louvres only, it leaves more of your beautiful Jeep red color showing. You could always add the large center louvres later if u decide. :)
Yeah, I love the red and don’t really want black louvres. I’d paint it red if I got one. My son and I looked at it more closely and decided it’s too far on the slope on the left side for the louvre to cover. So, off to the repair shop to see what they can do.

On a similar note, the hood could really use a repaint. I’ve known this since day one. I’ve spent considerable time working on it wool buffer and 3m buffing stuff to heat up the clear and move it around to fix some of the imperfections. Also, there was already two small dents on the large slope on the left side from the PO. So, it could really use the repair and paint job. Another option is a new crown hood, about $280. I could try to paint it myself or get the shop to do it. Really, though, I want to spend my Jeep money on upgrades, like regear, locker, et al, so I may live w this hood issue for awhile. Have to focus on prep for Moab next year

Last edited:
Reactions: KCsTJ
ya know, im thinking a hood louver would bring in cooler air and get rid of the under hood heat quicker. I guess my biggest quirk is the rain. Say your sitting in the parking lot or driving down the interstate at 65 and you go through a down pour, now all that water cant be good for the engine and all the under hood components??

ya know, im thinking a hood louver would bring in cooler air and get rid of the under hood heat quicker. I guess my biggest quirk is the rain. Say your sitting in the parking lot or driving down the interstate at 65 and you go through a down pour, now all that water cant be good for the engine and all the under hood components??
I wondered about the water too, as well as debris, pollen, et al. But I’ve never heard anyone complain about it. Of course, the vents are good for heat dissipation, and that alone seems to make it a valuable mod

Reactions: KCsTJ
I wondered about the water too, as well as debris, pollen, et al. But I’ve never heard anyone complain about it. Of course, the vents are good for heat dissipation, and that alone seems to make it a valuable mod

next time you drive in the rain, pull over, lift the hood and see how wet everything is from spray coming up from the road and the fan blowing all the water that comes in thru the radiator all over everything...don't worry about a louvered hood letting things get wet

I'm using the GenRight on my TJ as I didn't like the advertising on the spider branded one..I'm a MC fan :)
JVvyNJr.jpg

as far as covering your damage, the louver doesn't cover that entire raised section in the center of the hood, there is about a half inch of it that still shows around the edge of it

next time you drive in the rain, pull over, lift the hood and see how wet everything is from spray coming up from the road and the fan blowing all the water that comes in thru the radiator all over everything...don't worry about a louvered hood letting things get wet

I'm using the GenRight on my TJ as I didn't like the advertising on the spider branded one..I'm a MC fan :)
View attachment 38069

as far as covering your damage, the louver doesn't cover that entire raised section in the center of the hood, there is about a half inch of it that still shows around the edge of it
Thanks, that 1/2” is what I was pretty sure didn’t get coverage. Too bad, but it makes sense why it doesn’t. Off to the shop when funds allow. For now I’ll just wash it and buff and wax to see how bad it really is. Pollen’s falling now so it’s hard to tell what it might have done to paint

This week I had two unfortunate incidences.
On Monday my son was throwing a rock out of the garage, it deflected off the raised garage door and hit the windshield.
On Tuesday I was changing the oil and a crazy gust of wind threw my hood up to the windshield header.

Would a hood louvre like Rusty’s or Poison Spyder conceal it? Plus it would give my engine some ventilation.

And your wife bought both your conniving story huh?

Sorry for your misfortune. But get it fixed right instead of covering it up. I have a big stain on the top of my hood that looks like a big bird sh1t that the P.O. left on there to bake in the FL sun for months. It’s all the way through the clear and the color coat. I thought about these lovers and the black vinyl overlay to cover it up. But I would still know it’s there. So when everything else on my Jeep is done, it will be repainted along with the rest of the Jeep.

Just saw you're post about the stain on top of your hood. Am curious if it was from an overheating issue. I have a similar stain. Mine was that way when I purchased it from the dealer. So far not over heating but we're just going into the warmer weather.