Horn Switch Wiring

Yes, multiple times. The horn relay starts the Jeep and the starter relay still doesn't make the horn sound. I've also tried other fuses and that doesn't do anything.
Well, sounds like you're in the same boat as the OP. Time to take the steering wheel pad off & see what's happening there.

Or just buy an air horn & keep it handy :D

How do I rule out the clock spring? I'm not getting any airbag codes...
The clock spring is just a ribbon wire that carries several wires - if you aren't getting any airbag codes that means the wires for the airbag are fine, but the ones for the horn may not be. The OP had a problem on the horn pad switch itself, and you may be in the same boat.

The clock spring is just a ribbon wire that carries several wires - if you aren't getting any airbag codes that means the wires for the airbag are fine, but the ones for the horn may not be. The OP had a problem on the horn pad switch itself, and you may be in the same boat.

Is there a good way to multimeter the clock spring?

Is there a good way to multimeter the clock spring?
I'd start first by checking from the PDC to pin 1 of connector C1 (I think I put pics of it earlier in this thread). If that checks good then your issue is between C1 under the dash, through the clock spring, For that you'll have to pull the pad off & look at the connectors on the actual horn switch like the OP did.

I borrowed long leads from my mechanic and it checked out ok. Is there a way to meter the switch pad itself when I remove it?
Yeah, look on the first page of this thread, I pasted in the TS steps from the manual.

All of this was great info, I have the opposite problem. Both of my horns did not work so I replaced them, now the horn is stuck on. Everything seems fine in the airbag area and I did replace the clock system. Any thoughts? I can pull the fuse and replace it and hear the relay opening or closing as I remove and replace the fuse.

All of this was great info, I have the opposite problem. Both of my horns did not work so I replaced them, now the horn is stuck on. Everything seems fine in the airbag area and I did replace the clock system. Any thoughts? I can pull the fuse and replace it and hear the relay opening or closing as I remove and replace the fuse.
What exactly did you replace? The clock spring?

(6) Check for continuity between the horn switch
feed wire and the horn switch ground wire on the
driver side airbag module. There should be no continuity.
If OK, go to Step 7. If not OK, replace the
faulty horn switch.

(7) Depress the center of the driver side airbag
module trim cover and check for continuity between
the horn switch feed wire and the horn switch
ground wire on the driver side airbag module. There
should now be continuity. If not OK, replace the
faulty horn switch.

Any specific details on how to do this?

For step 6, how do I identify those two wires?

For step 7, do I just connect the leads to the screw posts on the switch pad?
Look at the photo @Axeman posted in post #20 of this thread. You should be checking for continuity between the pin in the white connector on the back of the pad & the ground wire coming out of the other side of the pad.

That's step 7, right? Where are the connectors I need for step 6?
It’s the same set of wires for both steps. You put your leads across the two wires and you should get no continuity. When you you put your leads across the wires & press on the horn pad you should have good continuity (low single digits).

Reactions: Captain Phoenix
To save myself the trouble of replacing the clock spring (if that's what's bad) could I just disconnect the horn wires from the underside of the clock spring and wire them to a button on the dash? Would there be anything more complicated than that involved?

Yes, you could do that. You'd have to either pull the wire out of the backside of the connector or splice it into a leader going to whatever switch it is you want to use. Then you'd run the other side of the switch to ground somewhere.

C1 is your ticket according to the manual.

capture1-png.png

Nevermind. I figured it out.

Last edited:
Hey so I’ve got a similar issue but opposite a bit. My horn pad itself has an issue. It thinks it’s being pressed when it’s not actually being pressed. I pulled it open and ran some lines of scotch tape inside so that the copper would stop making a constant connection to itself. It works and now only goes off when I press. But here’s the thing I want to do in case this happens again. I’d like to install a cutoff so that I have the option of killing the circuit if the pad goes bad again or my tape wears thin before I can get lucky and find a replacement pad. I’d also like to install a backup horn switch in the dash as well. Any thoughts on how to go about this. I’ve picked up the switches. One for killing the current circuit and a quick toggle horn specific switch for my open slots in the dash.
Thanks in advance!