House fire

Thanks everybody truly:

So I will try and answer all of the questions

The insurance is great they put us up in a hotel for about 2 weeks while we were looking for a place to rent. I started with my credit card, but before the second day the insurance had already deleted my card and took the bill. They offered up to us a company called Assured Relocation who found us a house to rent that is almost equivalent to ours. We are actually a couple miles from the house in a rental. They hired another company to take all of our belongings, and index them and clean them. I was able to salvage some clothes and wash them so we at least had some clothes. I haven't actually had to spend any money for anything so far.

We are responsible for hiring contractors, but they had some suggestions and we decided to go that route because we actually liked the company they offered up. They were better than anybody we knew and they asked if we wanted to do any modifications before they started. Of course Robyn raised her hand. We are going to lose a wall here and there, but it will be cool at the end.

They were they today tearing down all of the dry wall. They are going to re-wire the whole house including the cat6 en each room and the remote garage. It is actually pretty funny because I was showing him how the house was wired and he had never heard of cat 6 before so he kept calling it just 6. But he said that the insurance is going to take care of it, so that is good.

How it works is the Insurance company has 3 buckets. one for the house itself, and one for the items inside, and lastly for the cleanup. Well I guess 4 buckets because they are putting us up while the house gets rebuilt. We are only responsible for the utilities of our burned house and the mortgage.

They so far have been really good with everything. In fact they have been bugging me for weeks to open an account with them and my bank so they can deposit some cash for us, but we live within our means and don't really need it so I haven't set it up yet.

Our deductible is 500, and they are just reducing the the final price of the construction 500 so we don't have to come up with the cash up front, although it wouldn't break us to come up with it right now especially if I opened the account and used the money they put in there.

Honestly this would be super scary, but the insurance really has this down to a science. They have really got the ball rolling and taken care of everything. I was worried about my pool going south so they got out there in days and got some electricity to keep the pool pump going. That was really amazing.

When we were there today they already have most of the drywall gone and the floors were all ripped up.

Thanks everybody truly:

So I will try and answer all of the questions

The insurance is great they put us up in a hotel for about 2 weeks while we were looking for a place to rent. I started with my credit card, but before the second day the insurance had already deleted my card and took the bill. They offered up to us a company called Assured Relocation who found us a house to rent that is almost equivalent to ours. We are actually a couple miles from the house in a rental. They hired another company to take all of our belongings, and index them and clean them. I was able to salvage some clothes and wash them so we at least had some clothes. I haven't actually had to spend any money for anything so far.

We are responsible for hiring contractors, but they had some suggestions and we decided to go that route because we actually liked the company they offered up. They were better than anybody we knew and they asked if we wanted to do any modifications before they started. Of course Robyn raised her hand. We are going to lose a wall here and there, but it will be cool at the end.

They were they today tearing down all of the dry wall. They are going to re-wire the whole house including the cat6 en each room and the remote garage. It is actually pretty funny because I was showing him how the house was wired and he had never heard of cat 6 before so he kept calling it just 6. But he said that the insurance is going to take care of it, so that is good.

How it works is the Insurance company has 3 buckets. one for the house itself, and one for the items inside, and lastly for the cleanup. Well I guess 4 buckets because they are putting us up while the house gets rebuilt. We are only responsible for the utilities of our burned house and the mortgage.

They so far have been really good with everything. In fact they have been bugging me for weeks to open an account with them and my bank so they can deposit some cash for us, but we live within our means and don't really need it so I haven't set it up yet.

Our deductible is 500, and they are just reducing the the final price of the construction 500 so we don't have to come up with the cash up front, although it wouldn't break us to come up with it right now especially if I opened the account and used the money they put in there.

Honestly this would be super scary, but the insurance really has this down to a science. They have really got the ball rolling and taken care of everything. I was worried about my pool going south so they got out there in days and got some electricity to keep the pool pump going. That was really amazing.

When we were there today they already have most of the drywall gone and the floors were all ripped up.

View attachment 98150

View attachment 98151
I'm glad to hear you are being well taken care of. This is going to be a fun build thread.

Reactions: ac_ and Kiwi TJ
Great news that the Insurance company is coming to the party on just about everything...

Reactions: ac_
I'm really glad you guys are ok, even the cats. Please let me know if i can do anything at all, anything. Doesn't matter what, I'm willing to help and not too far away.

Hi guys,

Been pretty busy last few weeks. On the three day weekend on Saturday, wife was cleaning the garage and putting up Christmas decorations in the attic and getting ready to put her TJ hard top hanger up. I was out back working on her TJ swapping the rearend, and she started screaming. I ran to the front , and my neighbor was yelling her name. As I was running up, I could see flames coming out of the eaves and vents in the roof, so I ran into her garage and up into the attic, and knew it was too late. I ran down and moved her car out of the driveway while another neighbor ran in to get Robyn and find the cats. Once I got the cars all out of the way, I could see the neighbor and Robyn running out with the cats. Then the 4 adjoining cities each came with two fire trucks. It was mayhem.

Anyway, that is why I haven't been around lately. We have been homeless and now finally renting a new home while ours is getting rebuilt.

It was crazy, nothing I have ever experienced before. Lucky I have great home owners insurance so far. We have Amica and they just jumped right in and started taking care of everything including taking care of us and the cats. We are doing good despite everything. It is difficult working and taking care of everything. I haven't had much time to work on the Jeep and the temps are now into the triple digits so It is difficult but I am planning on getting under the Jeep this weekend stay tuned for updates.

Here is a couple of pictures of the devastation.

View attachment 98031

View attachment 98032

View attachment 98033

Hopefully I will have some good after pictures in a few months!

I am hoping now that we are finally in a house now, that I can come back here and play again soon.
Damn boss, i wish i was home to help you out. Ill be back in the end of July if you need any help.

Withholding the deductible until the job is done to your satisfaction was the advice I was given. We had a pretty good insurance experience, too, and they covered all four aspects just like you. Smaller fire for us but the smoke damage was extensive enough that we were out 110 days. If you take a pretty long view right now I’m thinking it’ll serve you well in a couple of months, there’s just so much patience required.

Oh man, just saw this thread. @ac_ so glad you and all your family including the furbabies got out in time. Fires are really no joke. You look to have good insurance, hopefully everything will come out better than before. Keep us posted.

Sorry to hear, but glad you are in good spirits and doing well. We actually just went thru an EF1 tornado, but we were "lucky" because we had no significant damage compared to our neighbors. But, I can say that neither the JKU or the JL leaked :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: (You have to have a little humor or you'll go nuts)

Thanks guys I really appreciate the nice messages. I bet tornados are no joke either. Yikes

Here is an update on the house, this is what it looks like now:

I had to go over yesterday and top off the pool in the back yard, but they had the water turned off so I had to fix wht they broke so I could turn the water on and fill the pool and as the pool was filling, I was in the back yard putting an new rear diff in Robyn's Jeep. Just so we don't forget this is a TJ forum, here is some TJ foo:

I didn't get it quite done as I had to do it all by myself with hand tools and it was triple digits outside. But I did get the old one out and the new one in, but still need to torque everything change the fluid and do the brakes and it is ready to roll. I guess that will be another Saturday!

Thanks again for everybody's nice thoughts and messages. That does actually help getting passed all of this. It also helps being so busy that I don't have time to sit and think about it.

Reactions: Artemis
wow incredibly lucky, awesome fire department response.
always good to hear about everyone being OK and great insurance.
best of luck with the rebuild.

Glad to see everyone is good (including the cats) and you seem in good spirits. Use the silver lining to make the house like you want it going forward, any changes you always thought about in past can happen now.

Reactions: ac_ and Artemis
@ac_ How did the rebuild go?
The rebuild was probably more stressful than the actual burn down. We had some problems. I mean not to scare anyone, we are back in the house, and have been for over a year.

There was a lot of redo's that had to happen, and some things had to be done more than once. In the end it is inhabitable. I mean it isn't like that bad, just things like shotty frame wood as framework, and walls that are noticeably not flat. They did a horrible job on the drywall, and they did a pretty bad job on the ceiling. I mean it is livable, but you can see a seam down the middle of the ceiling, and the walls in the hallway look like something out of Dr Seuss. When I complained they said I was being "nit-picky," and maybe I was, but it wasn't like that before the house burned down, and my house is 40 years old. So they must have done better work 40 years ago.

I don't really have much to complain about though, the house appraised higher than any other house on the block. Of course it is brand new, but between you and me, I would take a 40 year old house over a brand new one if this is the quality of new stuff. Although it has noticeable flaws the house is sturdy and totally livable, and I can still sell it at a competitive rate. Although we are not ready to move yet.

Things are back to normal. If you can help it by not burning down your house, I suggest that. It really isn't worth the hassle in my opinion.

They did a horrible job on the drywall, and they did a pretty bad job on the ceiling. I mean it is livable, but you can see a seam down the middle of the ceiling, and the walls in the hallway look like something out of Dr Seuss.
That sucks man. I did drywall once on a flip that we did back in FL years ago, never again.

My mom had a house built in NC - tray ceilings, lots of fancy angles. It's perfectly smooth. Every time I go there to visit I just stare at the ceiling. It's amazing what a great drywall guy can do.

That sucks man. I did drywall once on a flip that we did back in FL years ago, never again.

My mom had a house built in NC - tray ceilings, lots of fancy angles. It's perfectly smooth. Every time I go there to visit I just stare at the ceiling. It's amazing what a great drywall guy can do.
yeah I wished mine would have turned out as good. Always ask for references when hiring a contractor. I learned my lesson.

I'm living at my house at the lake, I can't seem to get an electrician to come and rewire my house after my shorting electrical drama.

My house is completely powerless, I know I'm lucky to have another house to live in. Part of me wonders if my house burnt down maybe it would've been better? I know I could get a new house put up.

I talked to the insurance adjuster again today hoping he could get the electrician moving. I don't want to live at the lake in the winter.

I hope you have better luck than me.