How bad did I f@#k up?

99sahara99

Hey folks, I just returned from a salty trip to Tahoe and wanted to get the salt on my TJ cleaned off but was on a time crunch before work so I opted (stupidity) for the automatic wash instead of the analog one. The second the process began I realized that I most likely made a huge mistake because I was rocking a bestop soft top. I haven't gone through a auto car wash before and once all the crazy soaps started coming down I realized I might be doing some damage to whatever protective coating is on the bestop. I'll never make this mistake again, but what can I do to remedy the situation/ how much damage did I potentially do? It didn't leak or act any differently but I'm worried about long term effects of residual soap and the like.

Thanks in advance!

You can thoroughly rinse off the soft top and treat it with the 303 or Bestops clean and preserve treatment, but I would be more concerned with what the heavy beater brushes might have done to the windows and soft top material; assuming that is the type of car wash you are referring to..

Reactions: 99sahara99
Thanks for your input, the brushed were silicone ribbons if that helps.. no water leaked in at the time. Won't make that mistake again. Will purchase preserve treatment for sure. Should I hose It down to maybe get residual soap off?

Hey folks, I just returned from a salty trip to Tahoe and wanted to get the salt on my TJ cleaned off but was on a time crunch before work so I opted (stupidity) for the automatic wash instead of the analog one. The second the process began I realized that I most likely made a huge mistake because I was rocking a bestop soft top. I haven't gone through a auto car wash before and once all the crazy soaps started coming down I realized I might be doing some damage to whatever protective coating is on the bestop. I'll never make this mistake again, but what can I do to remedy the situation/ how much damage did I potentially do? It didn't leak or act any differently but I'm worried about long term effects of residual soap and the like.

Thanks in advance!
I don't think CA uses salt on the roads I think it's more like sand :unsure:

To my knowledge there is no protective coating to lose on a Bestop top, and most of the drive thru car wash soaps are pretty mild and highly diluted (I used to sell them). They foam a lot and have dye added for visual drama, but they are diluted beyond belief- like one cup will make 55 gallons of solution that is further diluted as applied. The color and foam got your attention, but your daily shower is likely far more aggressive.

Remember that tops endure road salts, chemicals, oils, exhaust and all manner of carbons, dirt, grime and smut.

Ironically, touch free car washes are worse for paints typically, because they basically use much higher strength cleaners to get the job done. Something has to take the place of the agitation.

I’m with @CharlesHS on the windows. He’s like @Jerry Bransford , East Coast style.

We aren’t going to fine you or write you up this time, go and sin no more.

Reactions: sfexeter and pagrey
That's why I always pay extra to get my Jeeps hand washed. ;)
Jeep carwash.jpg

Thanks for your input, the brushed were silicone ribbons if that helps.. no water leaked in at the time. Won't make that mistake again. Will purchase preserve treatment for sure. Should I hose It down to maybe get residual soap off?
I’d suggest some Aerospace 303 protectant. It’s good for the vinyl and the stitching, lot of protection from the UV exposure. Dont use ArmourAll!

Reactions: AndyG
I’d suggest some Aerospace 303 protectant. It’s good for the vinyl and the stitching, lot of protection from the UV exposure. Dont use ArmourAll!
303 is really exceptional.