How can I buy a replacement PCM?

Peter Panagakos

TJ Enthusiast
I have been dealing with the Jeep TJ PCM problem causing hard shifts from 1st to 2nd gear, 4.0 motor and 42rle auto trans. I have reset the PCM by battery disconnect. This stops the hard shifts for a while, but it comes back. I have seen in other posts that people have replaced the PCM to fix the problem, and if it is not fixed transmission damage will result. Can someone tell me how to buy a replacement PCM, and is this something I just plug in to replace? Where in the Jeep is this? I saw a reference to I assume a Company called FS1 that made a replacement PCM for the 05/06 TJ that fixed the problem for them. I want to keep my TJ as it is in great shape otherwise, has 118k miles , but vey well cared for. Could one of you point me the right direction to deal with this once and for all? I understand there are no more Mopar PCMs available, but other companies can provide a replacement. Any help is greatly appreciated.

This is one of those things that plague the 05-06 automatics. It happened to me and a few others on this forum. I replaced my PCM in Oct 18 and never looked back and over 9K miles so far. Mine was done by ECUteam. They are not having a good rep now and dont know why. FS1 has had alot of response on this forum both good and bad. Find and read any postings about PCM problems there are plenty on all forums. Its a crap soot for sure.