Hi guys I am just looking for a bit of help! I’ve let Jeep sit for a few years and now I’m finally able to drive it but the engine bay is caked up with dirt and oil! I need the safest way to clean such a mess! Anything will help !
wow that looks great I am impressed!!Here is what I do:
1. Cover the alternator and PCU with cling wrap.
2. Spray entire engine with degreaser (either simple green, or Meguires Super Degreaser diluted 3:1) and let soak.
3. Starting in small sections, agitate using a variety of brushes and rinse with the garden hose. No pressure. Continually spraying more degreaser, agitation and rinsing until clean.
4. After final rinse, I blow dry with a AirForce Blaster Sidekick Car and Motorcycle Dryer (leaf blower works well).
5. Spray a dressing (Sonus Motor Kote or CarPro Pearl). Our Jeeps don't really need a dressing, looks better on other vehicles.
Here is an old BMW I bought last summer. The gunkiest one I have cleaned. Took about 2 hours following what I described above.
View attachment 145047View attachment 145050
Same here. Never had a problem doing it this way. I do cover the air intake and PCM but that’s all.I clean engine bays like I have since I started driving in 1980. Self serve car wash, open hood, cover nothing, pressure wash everything with soap then repeat with the rinse cycle. Drive for at least 10 mins to thoroughly dry everything.
I’m going to continue using this method until the very first time it gives me problems.
Send the kids to grandma.On a day with good weather find some reason to ground your kids. Don't say why, just "you know what you did". If you have more than 1 be sure they know "one of you did it. And you all will pay for it unless you 'fess up to it". Then tell them there is a hose and bucket of soap outside. And if , after cleaning the Jeep no one comes forward you'll have mom to deal with. (She can use some help too.)