How can I clean my TJ engine bay?

antonio

Hi guys I am just looking for a bit of help! I’ve let Jeep sit for a few years and now I’m finally able to drive it but the engine bay is caked up with dirt and oil! I need the safest way to clean such a mess! Anything will help !

AndyG

TJ Expert
Lifetime Supporting Member
Soak it in simple green, let sit , rinse with hot water , less pressure is better.

Gunk Gel engine cleaner is great also .

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Simple green (lots of it), a lot of thick bristle brushes, soap and water, and a ton of elbow grease (seriously).

Spend a few hours doing this and I guarantee it will look almost as good as new!

MutantNinjaTJ

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Any good engine degreaser, I like good old Gunk. Spray on, let sit, hose off. Then very important is to start it as soon as your done and drive it until it's dry.

If it’s exceptionally dirty (dust, not grease) I find it’s best to hit it with a bristle brush and shop vac before washing it with simple green. After washing hit it with a leaf blower then touch the plastic up with some detailer for that extra touch.

explorerlyon

Here is what I do:
1. Cover the alternator and PCU with cling wrap.
2. Spray entire engine with degreaser (either simple green, or Meguires Super Degreaser diluted 3:1) and let soak.
3. Starting in small sections, agitate using a variety of brushes and rinse with the garden hose. No pressure. Continually spraying more degreaser, agitation and rinsing until clean.
4. After final rinse, I blow dry with a AirForce Blaster Sidekick Car and Motorcycle Dryer (leaf blower works well).
5. Spray a dressing (Sonus Motor Kote or CarPro Pearl). Our Jeeps don't really need a dressing, looks better on other vehicles.

Here is an old BMW I bought last summer. The gunkiest one I have cleaned. Took about 2 hours following what I described above.

BMW Engine Clean.jpg
BMW Engine Clean 2.jpg

Goatman

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
On a day with good weather find some reason to ground your kids. Don't say why, just "you know what you did". If you have more than 1 be sure they know "one of you did it. And you all will pay for it unless you 'fess up to it". Then tell them there is a hose and bucket of soap outside. And if , after cleaning the Jeep no one comes forward you'll have mom to deal with. (She can use some help too.)

OP
A

antonio

Here is what I do:
1. Cover the alternator and PCU with cling wrap.
2. Spray entire engine with degreaser (either simple green, or Meguires Super Degreaser diluted 3:1) and let soak.
3. Starting in small sections, agitate using a variety of brushes and rinse with the garden hose. No pressure. Continually spraying more degreaser, agitation and rinsing until clean.
4. After final rinse, I blow dry with a AirForce Blaster Sidekick Car and Motorcycle Dryer (leaf blower works well).
5. Spray a dressing (Sonus Motor Kote or CarPro Pearl). Our Jeeps don't really need a dressing, looks better on other vehicles.

Here is an old BMW I bought last summer. The gunkiest one I have cleaned. Took about 2 hours following what I described above.

View attachment 145047View attachment 145050
wow that looks great 👍 I am impressed!!

Vinman

TJ Enthusiast
I clean engine bays like I have since I started driving in 1980. Self serve car wash, open hood, cover nothing, pressure wash everything with soap then repeat with the rinse cycle. Drive for at least 10 mins to thoroughly dry everything.
I’m going to continue using this method until the very first time it gives me problems.

ToddL

I clean engine bays like I have since I started driving in 1980. Self serve car wash, open hood, cover nothing, pressure wash everything with soap then repeat with the rinse cycle. Drive for at least 10 mins to thoroughly dry everything.
I’m going to continue using this method until the very first time it gives me problems.
Same here. Never had a problem doing it this way. I do cover the air intake and PCM but that’s all.

Jamison C

“What are you doing to it NOW?!”
Supporting Member
I just pressure washed mine once or twice a month. Soapy water, rinse, and then drive it around a little to let everything dry. Never had an issue and I never had to get in there with brushes or any kind of “shine” product.
F0159D8B-AB97-43C9-9FF5-1C3C44C4C431.jpeg

Reactions: Chris and TJ2

TJ2

TJ Expert
On a day with good weather find some reason to ground your kids. Don't say why, just "you know what you did". If you have more than 1 be sure they know "one of you did it. And you all will pay for it unless you 'fess up to it". Then tell them there is a hose and bucket of soap outside. And if , after cleaning the Jeep no one comes forward you'll have mom to deal with. (She can use some help too.)
Send the kids to grandma.
Ground your wife instead with music & booze and let her strip-tease-wear 2 piece bathing suit and shower with her in and around the TJ with soap.

Reactions: Blondie70