How can I re-purpose this rear wiper circuit?

AndyG

Because some other guys are perverts
Lifetime Supporting Member
My 2006 project is factory wired for a hardtop.

At this point I don't think I will seriously consider a hardtop for this Jeep.

I want to use the rear wiper circuit to tap into for a storage compartment light behind the back seat... Basically hit the whip and I've got light in the back... Or at least be able to use the circuit for something... Right now I can only find a switched hot. All the fuses are in place.

I want to give a shout out to @Chief Brohician for hooking me up with the nice storage compartment set up that bolts into the Jeep... And @Hog for just giving me good ideas all the time and being a great sounding board.

• Love
Reactions: Chief Brohician
200.gif

I’m thinking something like this.

Are you just needing the pin number and/or wire color for the factory plug in the back?
If I could just get the wire color it would go a long way... I thought it was brown and light green but I can't get it to get hot.

Tell me what's going on... Or if I need to rethink this plan.

Could you also use the switch for the rear window heater for a rear light ?
You could, but with the factory harness I think that power runs through a relay that is controlled by a timer.

Another issue is you will have to have the key turned on to use the factory setup. Not ideal.

Last edited:
Thank you guys that's what I keep finding out that the wiring is more complex than it appears to be...@JamisonC got me dialed in to get power from my dome light circuit at the roll bar .. so I can control it with the multifunction switch. That's the plan so far.

You could, but with the factory harness I think that power runs through a relay that is controlled by a timer.

Another issue is you will have to have the key turned on to use the factory setup. Not ideal.
Good point. dam it

I added this switch in the rear. It taps into the door switch circuit to turn the interior lights on.View attachment 222919
I like that do you remember the the wires you tapped into... And does it require you to turn the interior lights on in order for that switch to have power to it or do you mean a constant hot

Could you also use the switch for the rear window heater for a rear light ?

That's what I did on another jeep. Nice, relatively heavy gauge wire running most of the way back there, had a relay, would shut down with the ignition. And, since I used it as a reverse light, it would shut off after 20 minutes if I forgot.

I like that do you remember the the wires you tapped into... And does it require you to turn the interior lights on in order for that switch to have power to it or do you mean a constant hot
The door switches turn the lights on by sending a ground signal to the instrument cluster (0 volts). So my pushbutton switch has one side grounded to the body, and the other side runs up to the door switch. On my 2006, I tapped into the violet wire. The ground side wire for the door switch (that you don't need) is Ylw/Grn.
So pushing the button is like opening the door. Lights come on. When you turn it off, they fade just like when you shut the door; and turn off automatically if left on.

Reactions: John Cooper
The door switches turn the lights on by sending a ground signal to the instrument cluster (0 volts). So my pushbutton switch has one side grounded to the body, and the other side runs up to the door switch. On my 2006, I tapped into the violet wire. The ground side wire for the door switch (that you don't need) is Ylw/Grn.
So pushing the button is like opening the door. Lights come on. When you turn it off, they fade just like when you shut the door; and turn off automatically if left on.
Thank you for taking time to post this,I really appreciate it. Every little thing like this really increases enjoyment of these, and folks like you are good for the forum.

Reactions: John Cooper