How can I remove this gasket type silicone?

Roel Salazar

The first owner of my TJ put some ugly chrome grill inserts, I remove them and the middle vent have some silicone directly to the paint (I think to keep the insert from falling)

The paint isnt in perfect condition but I dont want to damage it more as it isnt in my plans to repaint it, do anyone have some tips to remove that silicone / gasket maker?

16101388190563027454894019387354.jpg

that's gonna be the best way to get the bulk of it off, try some soft wood if your thumbs give out, something like a paint stir stick or popsicle stick, you can work it and not tear up the finish.

Reactions: Roel Salazar
Goop Off put some on a rag and work at it easy. It will take the wax off so you'll want to put some back on after.

$35 is a lot to spend if thats the only spot, you need the one with the mandrel but it would do it. if thats your only spot use a Popsicle stick to remove the biggest portion of it, then just dry rub it until its gone. it is soft rtv/silicone and not a hard epoxy right ? because if its epoxy you will have to chip it off....

$35 is a lot to spend if thats the only spot, you need the one with the mandrel but it would do it. if thats your only spot use a Popsicle stick to remove the biggest portion of it, then just dry rub it until its gone. it is soft rtv/silicone and not a hard epoxy right ? because if its epoxy you will have to chip it off....
Amazon has plenty of others with the mandrel for a lot cheaper. it just happened to be the first example I had found it doesn’t have to be 3M.

Reactions: tr21triton
I've had fantastic results using 'LectricShave' to get most anything off of paint. Even thick pine sap.
It's made for use after you shave to prevent skin burn. My father has used it for years 😱 on his face. It will even get poison ivy off your skin. I have used it to remove caulk from my hands, plus most any gasket that wouldn't come off any other way. It's cheap, and some claim it smells good too.