How do I cut this bolt?

Rcroane

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Trying to remove the cross member that holds the transmission pan skid plate. This bolt is spinning in its nutsert. I need to cut the bolt, but not sure how to go about it. My cutoff wheel won't fit inside the cross member. Sawzall between the cross member and the frame? Any help would be appreciated. I don't have any experience cutting bolts. Thanks.

IMG_1056.jpeg

^^^This is a good plan.

Sawzall between the cross member and the frame could work if you're able to loosen the skid first so that you're not cutting frame/ skid bracket across the entire cut. If you can see some daylight between the bracket and the frame then that means you'll only be cutting bolt material (muy bueno).

Reactions: Rcroane
@Rcroane An idea for next time.

As you use your die grinder in the future save the cut off disks as they wear down to various smaller sizes.
Even a disk as small as a quarter could be useful in a really tight spot.

A few of mine shown with a full sized disk and a quarter. (I need a few smaller than I have)
A8A4FC43-F684-4CFC-9884-2FD8A1910510.jpeg

I have a set of those, but I can't ever remember using them. That's more for a rounded off bolt head, which is a fastener failure I almost never experience. Won't help you with a spinning nutsert like the OP is dealing with.
ah-ha, good point - I missed the nutsert part. Ignore me, bolt extractors won't help at all in this case. However, in the event that you do have a rounded-off bolt head, then these are handy.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
I did this to my skid plate a week or so ago with a die grinder. Just ground the heads off and then dropped the skid. Replaced the nutserts with BMBs and all is good.

Reactions: Rcroane
I did this to my skid plate 6 months ago. Oxy-acetylene torch.

Glad you got yours off.

Highly recommend Black Magic's nutzerts and installation tool.

Proper torque and antisieze to keep it functional.

-Mac

I did this to my skid plate 6 months ago. Oxy-acetylene torch.

Glad you got yours off.

Highly recommend Black Magic's nutzerts and installation tool.

Proper torque and antisieze to keep it functional.

-Mac
Ordered the BMB kit and tool a few days ago. The new tool seems so simple but looks a heck of a lot easier than the old method of cutting notches in the lock nut. I'm assuming the tool will work on the transmission skid plate nutserts as well since that's my immediate need. I ordered the main skid plate nutserts as well, but will wait to install those when the weather improves since it is more of a preventative measure in my case.

Ordered the BMB kit and tool a few days ago. The new tool seems so simple but looks a heck of a lot easier than the old method of cutting notches in the lock nut. I'm assuming the tool will work on the transmission skid plate nutserts as well since that's my immediate need. I ordered the main skid plate nutserts as well, but will wait to install those when the weather improves since it is more of a preventative measure in my case.
The thrust bearing makes all the difference.

Reactions: SvtLdr
I can't seem to find the torque spec for the two crossmember bolts that hold the tranny pan skid plate. All I was able to find is the spec for the six bolts that hold the main skid plate. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

I can't seem to find the torque spec for the two crossmember bolts that hold the tranny pan skid plate. All I was able to find is the spec for the six bolts that hold the main skid plate. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks.
Is it a different size bolt?