How do I determine which camshaft position sensor is bad?

Lowcountryearl

TJ Enthusiast
Check Engine light came on just when I was driving by Autozone, they helped me out with their decoder and it says camshaft or crankshaft position sensor.
How do you determine which one it is. BTW after I reset, didn't come back on

I believe that the crankshaft position sensor causes far more problems than the camshaft position sensor does.

I wouldn't get excited yet about the CEL not coming back on. Usually, when you clear the codes, it will take several drive cycles for the CEL to come back on.

Maybe think about picking up an OBD2 (code reader) scanner. You won't need to rely on Autozone and it will help you pinpoint what the CEL is trying to tell you.

Reactions: hear
If it acts up again I'd suspect the crankshaft position sensor before the camshaft position sensor. If you decide to replace it try to find Mopar or at least go with NAPA's best quality if you can't find a Mopar. Avoid other store brands like Duralast from Autozone!

Reactions: hear and Mike Z
The coil, distributor and spark plug wires were used until around Aug 99 when they were replaced with the coil rail and OPDA.
This is what is inside the distributor that performs the function of the CMPS.

4P1250__ra_p.jpg

Reactions: Jamison C
I've never noticed a spacer before..does it go under the sensor? I'm guessing it spaces the sensor up from the body of the distributor?
It's for the crankshaft position sensor that has the adjustment slot for its mounting bolt hole, not the camshaft position sensor.

It's for the crankshaft position sensor that has the adjustment slot for its mounting bolt hole, not the camshaft position sensor.
I'm confused I thought we were talking about a camshaft sensor..we must have switched gears to a crankshaft sensor or I need more coffee