How do I get windshield bracket bolts off?

mattyice2

TJ Enthusiast
So I think I messed up guys. I just bought two windshield mirrors for my Jeep. So in order to put them on I have to remove the windshield bolts. However I didn't read the full instructions and used a t40 torx bit (for the JK) What tool do I use? Freakin upset. I think I striped one of the bolts.

Not sure what the correct size torx is, but most will need a bit a heat to break the factory thread lock. I used a couple quick touches with a blow torch with little to no damage to the paint. Others have used a hand impact driver.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I just removed mine to take off some crappy light holder thingy that was rusted fo course because it was some aftermarket crap. I could get them all off but two and for those I had to break out the hammer and correct bit. I tapped the hammer on the end of the socket. I had a very high quality bit however (Snap on) with replacement warranty. I broke a longer one, but was provided a super short one that could handle a pounding better. The vibration is very important as it loosens things up.

If you totally destroy one, relax. You can drill it out carefully. I highly recommend getting someone to do this if you haven't done it before because you are in for a bit of a mess if you over drill that hole and destroy the threads. You can retap and so-on. No matter what things can be fixed, so don't get too upset.

Reactions: mattyice2
Those things are on there TIGHT. What works every time for me is to hammer the torx bit in with a few hard blows. Once I do that I can get a big breaker bar and break them loose. Works every single time like a charm!

When you put them back in, make certain to use anti-sieze!

One time I had to drill one out that was stripped, which was no fun at all.

Well here comes an update and a rant. I got one out with the help of a hammer, but the other 3 bolts are stripped. This will be my last Chrysler vehicle. This is something that should be easy! They made everything difficult and imho have ruined Jeep. Anyway where should I go from here? Should I just give up on the project or what else do you guys recommend I do? Torch and drill?

Has anyone tried EZ Outs/Extractors once stripped? They are basically bits that have reverse threading so as you unscrew them they bite into the screw/bolt. On the right below:

cc8e8122cab4f8a21521b7f2612dee61.jpg

Reactions: KCsTJ
If your Jeep was a horse I'd have to shoot it hehe.!!! :emule:
Seriously though. This is nothing compared to what some Jeep owners go through. Yours still starts, runs , drives and stops so it cant be all bad..As @gg1 said its not the end of the world and relatively easy to fix.

Has anyone tried EZ Outs/Extractors once stripped? They are basically bits that have reverse threading so as you unscrew them they bite into the screw/bolt. On the right below:

View attachment 33968
Since the bolt head is boogered, get some heat into the bolt (soldering iron, hot screwdriver,...) Then use a left hand drill bit. The stripped bolt will come right out.

Seriously, heat is the answer for these bolts. Chrysler put thread lock on them, like it or not.

Reactions: skrelnik
Since the bolt head is boogered, get some heat into the bolt (soldering iron, hot screwdriver,...) Then use a left hand drill bit. The stripped bolt will come right out.

Seriously, heat is the answer for these bolts. Chrysler put thread lock on them, like it or not.

Yep I'm getting a blow torch

I had to resort to a propane torch for all the side bolts and 30 sec per bolt and they all came out easy. Just hit the center of the bolt with the blue flame and you'll be good. Now the front bolts are different! I tried to protect the windshield outer rubber trim with foil but it still melted as the angle of the flame kept touching it. So I don't know what to do there.

If I were to use heat I would use the heat transfer method by inserting the Torx bit and heating the bit. That way would almost eliminate any possible damage to the Jeep.

Reactions: divit250r
Those screws are held in with a permanent form of Loctite that is designed to loosen/release its grip only with the application of some serious heat applied down through the bolt so it reaches the threads and thus the Locktite. Going at it with anything but heat first, like trying brute force with an impact wrench, is just likely to cause damage somewhere. Especially if the torx bit breaks from the impact wrench which can make it dance out and into the surrounding paint.

Heat. Period. You can pass heat into the bolt by heating a torx bit placed into the bolt and heating it long enough with a heat gun or torch for the heat to travel down into the bolt to its threads where it will melt the Loctite and release the bolt. Then it will come out fairly easily and without damage. Heat. As CodaMan also suggested above.

Last edited: