How do I remove the doors on my TJ?

Black and Yellow

Hey yah'll,

I am new the the jeep family with the purchase of a 2001 Wrangler. I tried to remove the doors, but it looks like they are not made to come off, and I was under the impression that all TJ's were. I could use some help or advice here. Thanks.

20210622_164724.jpg

20210622_164745.jpg

What from your pictures makes you believe they were not made to come off?
Well I have tried like hell to remove that bottom nut and none of the Jeep tool kit sockets seems to work either too big or small even though they say it works for a 2001 TJ. However before I began to preform something that can only be described as alchemy to get these things off, I wanted to reach out to see if I was incorrect about the doors being able to be removed. I have owned this jeep for about 72 hours so I presume there is a lot I do not know.

You are in the right place to learn about your new Jeep. The door nuts that need to be removed take a 13 mm wrench. The factory paint on the nuts can make it hard to fit a 13mm on it but that is the right tool. You will want an open end wrench for the job. Once you get the nuts off the doors may still be stubborn as it appears that the nuts have no marks in the paint indicating they have not been removed. Corrosion may have set in and the doors could be a challenge. Patience and google are your friends in that case.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
The fitment with the nut is because of the paint, you have to practically tap a socket on it.
......Then you open the door, and pull the Jeep downward while someone holds the door.

• Haha
Reactions: NashvilleTJ
You are in the right place to learn about your new Jeep. The door nuts that need to be removed take a 13 mm wrench. The factory paint on the nuts can make it hard to fit a 13mm on it but that is the right tool. You will want an open end wrench for the job. Once you get the nuts off the doors may still be stubborn as it appears that the nuts have no marks in the paint indicating they have not been removed. Corrosion may have set in and the doors could be a challenge. Patience and google are your friends in that case.
factory paint, really ???
because it is clearly a re-paint and the nuts aren't even threaded as far as they should be ...

Reactions: DWR
floor jack.
get it as close to the hinge side of the door as possible, hockey puck on the jack saddle, 1/2 pump and back it off swing the door a couple times. another 1/2 pump & repeat until it is free.
then replace the steel hinge bushings with a replacement set of delrin bushings from quadratec ...

The key for me was to swing the door while pulling up. I was able to pull the passenger door off without the jack. For the driver side I used a piece of 2x4 and a floor jack while swinging the door (just watch your fingers). Use plenty of PB blaster and you may want to just spray them a few days in a row before you even try to pull the doors off.

OMG that great advice than you soo much. I am off to get a 13mm wrench! I will report back. Cheers!

Why are you so sure it's a repaint?
Not my fight but obvious repaint. Look at first pic. Factory would never let that out with such an obvious drip in paint. Also factory doesn't paint threads body color. My 04 has factory paint and my door bolts are unpainted.

floor jack.
get it as close to the hinge side of the door as possible, hockey puck on the jack saddle, 1/2 pump and back it off swing the door a couple times. another 1/2 pump & repeat until it is free.
then replace the steel hinge bushings with a replacement set of delrin bushings from quadratec ...

Not my fight but obvious repaint. Look at first pic. Factory would never let that out with such an obvious drip in paint. Also factory doesn't paint thread
Not my fight but obvious repaint. Look at first pic. Factory would never let that out with such an obvious drip in paint. Also factory doesn't paint threads body color. My 04 has factory paint and my door bolts are unpainted.
Def not a factory repaint so cheers to you for catching it. The dealership repainted it.

I went to work in my stepfather's body shop from the time I Was 13 till I went in the military. I learned quite a bit about fixing cars and painting them.

More than one door has been bent using a floor jack. proceed very cautiously.

Don't be surprised if the threaded portion of the hinge pin breaks off in the nut. (may not be an issue for a non rust belt TJ)

On mine, I used an air chisel / hammer with a punch bit to start the pins moving and wiggled the door. This was after soaking with Kroil for at least a week and wiggling and lifting didn't work.

Reactions: Apparition
I laid a 2x4 across the bottom of the door and then put pressure on it with a floor jack. Didn't bend mine and I don't think I'd have been able to get them out any other way either.