How do you drive on pavement?

wolf1790

I'm just curious, as a matter of conversation, how everyone drives on the highway!

I've got the 4.0 I6 with 35" tires and at 70 mph I'm at around 2500-2700 RPM, which is about as fast as I'll go. I've had it up to 80 with no weird vibrations or anything, but it doesn't feel very safe.

When accelerating, I don't usually let it go past 4000 RPMs if I'm accelerating hard, or 2800-3200 range for normal acceleration.

Just curious about everyone else's highway driving habits!

89951D7B-C1A5-4991-92D4-CE7F2ACBE0E5.gif

I'll shift right at 5000 if I want to accelerate hard. Try it. Rev limiter stops you at 5200 so it's next to impossible to go too far.
If I want to hold speed up a hill generally I won't sustain more than about 4500 RPM for more than a few seconds. I'll gladly hold 4000-4500 for a few minutes climbing a hill.

I have the 6 speed, and almost always start from second gear except for steep hills. Mainly because 1st to 2nd is grindy, unless I pause in neutral for a whole 2 seconds, and also because 1st is too low for most use.

6 to 3 downshifts are great for passing people on 2 lane roads. 4th is useful to get up to 75-80 when merging. I frequently skip gears both upshifting and downshifting.

70 mph is my typical highway speed in both my heep and my pickup truck, mainly for safety and somewhat for fuel economy. At 70 I'm right about at 2700 RPM.

I'll sustain 80 if traffic around me is doing that speed. (90 is the fastest I'll admit to going in a TJ)

Reactions: wolf1790
I'll shift right at 5000 if I want to accelerate hard. Try it. Rev limiter stops you at 5200 so it's next to impossible to go too far.
If I want to hold speed up a hill generally I won't sustain more than about 4500 RPM for more than a few seconds. I'll gladly hold 4000-4500 for a few minutes climbing a hill.

I have the 6 speed, and almost always start from second gear except for steep hills. Mainly because 1st to 2nd is grindy, unless I pause in neutral for a whole 2 seconds, and also because 1st is too low for most use.

6 to 3 downshifts are great for passing people on 2 lane roads. 4th is useful to get up to 75-80 when merging. I frequently skip gears both upshifting and downshifting.

70 mph is my typical highway speed in both my heep and my pickup truck, mainly for safety and somewhat for fuel economy. At 70 I'm right about at 2700 RPM.

I'll sustain 80 if traffic around me is doing that speed. (90 is the fastest I'll admit to going in a TJ)

Yeah I wish I had the 6 speed. I still use 3 to pass and occasionally start in 2. But 70 for sure, it feels very comfortable where above that tends to feel like a stretch.

Reactions: Steel City 06
Yeah I wish I had the 6 speed. I still use 3 to pass and occasionally start in 2. But 70 for sure, it feels very comfortable where above that tends to feel like a stretch.
I like having 6 gears instead of 5. Easier to fine tune the RPM I'm driving at. I don't really care for the transmission itself. I wouldn't put it in a 5 speed jeep, but I also don't think I'd retrofit mine with a 5 speed if this one failed.

I baby it. Shift at 3-3500 max. Most of the time I shift at 2500 in town. Definitely don’t go over 60 until I find this freaking vibration. I want it to last

Reactions: JMT
Always 2 hands on the wheel, and I don’t like going any faster than 70...emergency maneuvers, even just the slight ones i’ve had to make at that speed, feel like the end of the world is coming. But I still love it lol.

Reactions: Kon
75 is comfy. 85 is doable. 90 is possible. Took some work and understanding to make it comfortable at these speeds.

I'd have to agree with this.

75 was always about the max I ever wanted to take it comfortable. Beyond that the poor aerodynamics of the Wrangler (especially one with big tires and a tall lift) can get quite scary, especially with a big headwind!

75 was always about the max I ever wanted to take it comfortable. Beyond that the poor aerodynamics of the Wrangler (especially one with big tires and a tall lift) can get quite scary, especially with a big headwind!
Awe Chris, the JK should be stable to 85 easiely.

Or when passed by a large truck!

My 98 se with 2.5, 3 speed auto, stock suspension, 235/75R15 is ok at 70-75. That's a little over 3k rpm. It just doesn't feel right much faster than that. It'll hit 4500 or even aporoaching 5k in 2nd with my foot on the floor getting on the freeway but 70-75 is my max.

My sweet spot is 55-65 , higher is ok but most of my Jeep life is about relaxation, slowing down, being in the moment ...more about the journey than the destination.

I can run 75 + , but can tell I’m not going to be able to save it if something freaky happens.

Some of it is mood with me .

I like to shift on flat ground at 2800-3000 rpm.

With a 3 speed auto and 4.88s I call 65 max cruising speed on the highway. I hit 70 today for a few minutes.