How do you drive on pavement?

I drive mine to work, which is roughly 30 miles round trip, about once a week. I'm in traffic most the time so I don't drive all that fast. On the way to a wheeling trip though I'll typically set the cruise around 75 mph going up to 80 if I'm running a bit behind. I've been up to 90 before without issue but at that point though I'm probably getting 6mpg.

I generally drive between 2800 and 3100 rpm, occasionally I go beyond that. I run 5.38's with 35" tires and just like @Alex01 I've been up into the 90's before.

Reactions: Alex01
I'm just curious, as a matter of conversation, how everyone drives on the highway!

I've got the 4.0 I6 with 35" tires and at 70 mph I'm at around 2500-2700 RPM, which is about as fast as I'll go. I've had it up to 80 with no weird vibrations or anything, but it doesn't feel very safe.

When accelerating, I don't usually let it go past 4000 RPMs if I'm accelerating hard, or 2800-3200 range for normal acceleration.

Just curious about everyone else's highway driving habits!
with my rubicon with 4.10 gearing, at 75 im around 2800 rpm. my old rusty 2000 TJ sport with 3.73 gearing, i got up to 98 and was scared out of my mind, never doing that again....

I'm with Andy G. Most of the time I'm on back roads. It helps being 25 min. from the closest town that shows up on a map. But I've finally learned that life is more enjoyable when not in the fast lane. 65 is the max thruway speed here so I rarely ever top that. I'd rather just leave a few min. earlier. Most shifts @3000 rpm or so. A few to close to 4000 rpm just to keep the carbon out.

First time I drove it to work today (32 Miles) and I left early to avoid the stop and go BS, and it did not disappoint. Basically 70-80 most of the way in. Definitely more comfortable and confident closer to 70, as short wheelbase and wider tires make for an interesting experience at high speeds. 4.0 liter 5 speed manual.

My sweet spot is 55-65 , higher is ok but most of my Jeep life is about relaxation, slowing down, being in the moment ...more about the journey than the destination.

I can run 75 + , but can tell I’m not going to be able to save it if something freaky happens.

Some of it is mood with me .

I like to shift on flat ground at 2800-3000 rpm.
I agree, whenever I'm in the Jeep never in a hurry. Lots of back roads around here. I'll hit the highway if I have too.. but don't like too. Going up bigger hills I have to pin it and keep 'er around 4400. That's about my limit though!

I guess I am an odd ball, I keep my eyes on the road and don't look at the tach...I just listen to the engine sing..
I don't look at it much either. But when my little 2.5 gets a screamin' I like to know where I'm at.

and it doesn't take much! ha!

My 2.5 turns 3000 rpm @ 70 mph on worn 31s with 3.73 gears.
I don't like to go more than 70 mph in my TJ from a safety standpoint.

If I'm at an I intersection on the front row, I anticipate the light turning green, then I make sure I'm the 1st off the line so everybody can get a good look at my TJ hehe 😎

It's fun in large intersections especially when you're 1st to take off in the left hand turn lane then everybody can't help but drool over your jeep.😎😎

I go pretty easy on shifting, probably the mid 2000rpm range. I keep it in 3rd/4th around town so it chugs along nicely without lugging. Still has plenty of get up and go. As a short stroke motor, it runs so smooth at higher RPMs that sometimes I don't even realize I've forgotten to shift out of third and I'm cruising along at 3500rpm.

Freeways I can safely do 80 if I need to get around something, though I'd rather not. 70-75 is great and I'm usually turning 2800rpm in 5th. Smooth as could be. I average 17-18mph with 255/75r17 (32") BFG M/Ts.

I think the key is you get to know your jeep and how it likes to be driven. No two jeeps are the same and you get to learn it's characteristics, or personality if you will. My brother asked me the other day if my jeep is a boy or a girl (he didn't ask me about the other 497 genders it could be, sheesh :rolleyes:). I told him I see it more as a dog. It just feels peppy and excited and ready for an adventure or a cruise.

Reactions: DrDmoney and KCsTJ
Usually between 70 and 80. But have hit 90 many times.

20161125_090200.jpg

4 spd auto 42RLE with 373s and 31s, I usually do a bit over 70 on the freeway which is only 2100rpm for me. On hills I turn off the overdrive to get up to the 3k range. I am fine at 80mph but most of the time when I'm not in a hurry I prefer to take back roads and drive 50-60mph with the window down.

Reactions: Kon
nice gauges. does the "GPS" next to "MPH" on your speedo stand for "gallons per second?" :)
My wallet says YES!!

The actual meaning of it is that the speedo works with its standalone GPS, it doesn't need any speed input signal from the vehicle.

Reactions: Mrgreg66
Tell me more about these gauges...where did you get them? etc etc. They look cool...do they come in electric lime green? Lol

These are SpeedHut guages that you can customize. And they do come in green! Check them out here: https://www.speedhut.com/gauges/

Not sure how hard it would be to replace your existing ones. I went with these since I did a V8 swap and didn't want to keep the Jeep's ECU.

Reactions: Greenmachine