How do you organize your tools?

I have several of the Olsa socket rails in 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 and really like them. I also have some shorter plastic Kobalt one that I found on eBay as a lot of 10 or so. The individual socket holders slide around a lot less than the Olsa ones.
View attachment 308607

I have 3 or 4 drawers of various styles of wrenches on those little angles stands. Makes it easy to see if one is missing.
View attachment 308608

My pliers are in a couple racks.
View attachment 308609

Ratchets and the like are in cut out foam. Several other drawers with screwdrivers, hammers, etc and the same.
View attachment 308610

Then I have a couple drawers that are a complete piled up mess. 🤣

I‘m always on the lookout for small, sturdy containers for small stuff like taps, bits, blades, rivets, etc. I had a small plastic container that had a bunch of deck screws in it that turned out to be the perfect size to hold a metric and SAE set of ignition wrenches and sit in one of the shallow drawers and still be able to close it.
How do you like the plier rack? That drawer is a hot mess for me.

All the walls of my workshop are brown/tan pegboard. I bought my house in 2004 and if I remember correctly, the precious homeowner had the shop built in the mid to late 90’s. Some people don’t like pegboard, but I love it in my shop.
They're certainly useful. I had a hard time finding hooks that were worth a damn--lowes/HD/ACE etc.. had some available but every one of them were 1/8". You'd breath and they would move, move a tool and the whole thing would come off the board. I found some plastic holders, but then you'd lose the next available peg hole. I ended up finding a hundred or so used 1/4" hooks with plastic backers. Very sturdy and next to impossible to move without a bunch of muscle.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
I like pegboard for some things, and hate it for others. A tool chest is by far better and you really cant go wrong with the US General ones from HF. I've been using them for about ten years now and can't find a reason to upgrade to anything else.
I've been watching Craigslist and marketplace for a used set, whether US general, Husky, Craftsman, or any other one.

Reactions: jesseshoots
How's this?
Some are missing, others are 'in use'...;)
That means they are strewn across the garage, on the workbench, in a bucket, etc.

The socket organizers are from Griot's Garage & work very well.
Capture2.JPG
Fluxtool AutoWrite.JPG
freecat.JPG

That

I use the cheap harbor freight socket holders. I pop riveted a couple to the lid of my trail toolbox, they are beat on constantly and still work fine. These don't look pretty but they are going on 20 years old and at least 10 years full time in the Jeep. I guess like anything you can spend as much as you want but I do like the simple compact rail.

rail.jpg

I use the cheap harbor freight socket holders. I pop riveted a couple to the lid of my trail toolbox, they are beat on constantly and still work fine. These don't look pretty but they are going on 20 years old and at least 10 years full time in the Jeep. I guess like anything you can spend as much as you want but I do like the simple compact rail.

View attachment 308686
I used these for years out of my dad's tool box, but ever since getting my own box I can't find anything but the 1/4" available in the stores. They work great for sure

How do you like the plier rack? That drawer is a hot mess for me.
I like them. I used to have a drawer with cut outs and they laid flat. I ended up with more pliers than I had room though.

These racks were actually a little longer and I had to cut them down to get them to fit that direction and get the most use out of them. A few things are kind of tall and I have to lean them a little so they don’t catch when opening and closing the drawer. I’m happy with the set up.

I use these socket racks from Ernst. I also use the rails in the Jeep because the sockets lock to the rails with a twist.
36890577-CF88-4A01-8FBB-D87BA78BFB4E.jpeg

I also use their wrench racks.

04462DB0-440F-4A50-BED7-797400719FAC.jpeg

I’ve ordered through Amazon, and they are also available from Northern Tool.

They're certainly useful. I had a hard time finding hooks that were worth a damn--lowes/HD/ACE etc.. had some available but every one of them were 1/8". You'd breath and they would move, move a tool and the whole thing would come off the board. I found some plastic holders, but then you'd lose the next available peg hole. I ended up finding a hundred or so used 1/4" hooks with plastic backers. Very sturdy and next to impossible to move without a bunch of muscle.
I’ve used these for heavy items for the last 20+ years. Never broke one, never had one come loose.
https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/hardware/hooks/tool/50353-talon-hook-sets?item=93K0128
Dont need or use them for everything but they do work well.

Ive seen them sold other places but don’t remember where

Reactions: tworley