How does this happen? (double wheel failure on brand new Jeep)

freedom_in_4low

I'm a rooster illusion
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
says in the comments that he bought this brand new from the dealer 45 days ago, with factory wheels. He's had it to the dealer at least once complaining of a shimmy/wobble and they didn't find anything. Then this...

1688923260937.png

Newer Jeep quality...Some mom pulled up next to me at the grocery store with a massive tick. The Jeep was about seven years old. I wanted so bad to tell her to get that thing to a shop quick before she needed a ten grand engine

Why can’t people at least proof read when they post that stuff and make it so others can understand without having to think about it??? I mean, if you’re looking for help, make it easier for people to help… 🙄

That’s a crazy accident. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything like that. Scary

Reactions: reddvltj
Why can’t people at least proof read when they post that stuff and make it so others can understand without having to think about it??? I mean, if you’re looking for help, make it easier for people to help… 🙄

That’s a crazy accident. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything like that. Scary

Yeah the writing is pretty atrocious. Par for the course in that group I'm afraid. 🤣

While Fiat Jeeps are shoddily built, I'd expect that came from driving with loose lug nuts allowing the wheel to flex around until breaking.

Color me surprised that a Fiat tech wouldn't check the lug nuts if a complaint of shuddering was made.

That said, there may be a bonus...

7s126w.jpg

Lots of commenters pointing out what looks like impact damage but guy swears he didn't hit anything. No one but him knows whether he's telling the truth.

If I had to venture a guess, I'd say he hit something HARD! If the centers just "broke out" why is there damage that appears to be from it hitting something, like a curb?!?!. Yellow appears to be impact point...

View attachment 439864

Could be the result of the centers dropping down and hitting the rim after the separation since they both show similar patterns.

I'm also guessing they hit a square curb going full speed. In the edited pic with the yellow circle, there is a big chunk missing on the left rim next to the circled part.

Lots of commenters pointing out what looks like impact damage but guy swears he didn't hit anything. No one but him knows whether he's telling the truth.

Could be the result of the centers dropping down and hitting the rim after the separation since they both show similar patterns.

If it were 1 wheel, or even 2 wheels on opposite sides of the vehicle I might be willing to believe the owner, but 2 on the same side at the same time? Nope it's not a coincidence, as far as I'm concerned he hit something whether he knows it or not.

Reactions: MikekiM
It's just hard for me to believe somebody, even a borderline illiterate could be so clueless as to hit something hard enough to break centers out of two wheels and honestly not know how it happened.

Reactions: ColoJeep
It's just hard for me to believe somebody, even a borderline illiterate could be so clueless as to hit something hard enough to break centers out of two wheels and honestly not know how it happened.

Is it too hard to believe he could easily be lying and he's just looking for someone else to pay for the damages?

Is it too hard to believe he could easily be lying and he's just looking for someone else to pay for the damages?

That could be it. Requires a similar level of stupidity though. "Your honor I'd like to enter into evidence my Facebook post from after the incident that clearly proves I didn't hit anything". 🤣

I didn't see any photos to include the plate but if he's running expired temp tags 'cause he can't afford the taxes, it would definitely support your theory. 🤣

We pay our tax when we register, rather than at the dealership, so people get surprised a lot when they negotiate an "out the door" price and then a month later show up to the tag office and get hit with a tax bill bigger than the down payment they put up for their 84 month financing.

Could have been doing a power slide in loose soil and hit the side wheels against something solid enough to damage the sides of the wheels. Then not knowing the centers were also damaged, he started driving it and they gave way.