How does this happen? (double wheel failure on brand new Jeep)

Could have been doing a power slide in loose soil and hit the side wheels against something solid enough to damage the sides of the wheels. Then not knowing the centers were also damaged, he started driving it and they gave way.

I can picture him driving it like they do in the tv ads completely oblivious to beating the hell out of it.

Guys, c'mon. It's obvious what the cause was...
1688948925102.png

If I had to venture a guess, I'd say he hit something HARD! If the centers just "broke out" why is there damage that appears to be from it hitting something, like a curb?!?!. Yellow appears to be impact point...

View attachment 439864

Also might just be damage from them bouncing down the road going 70. But I don't know if I have less faith in people or Fiat...

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
Also might just be damage from them bouncing down the road going 70. But I don't know if I have less faith in people or Fiat...

JLs and JTs share the same wheel tire combos. One would think there would be be more than this one incident reported.. We all know everything negative gets blasted on the internet, so where's all the random wheel failures? The only thing I could find was JT and JLs having issues with lug nuts coming loose and studs braking, nothing about the wheel spontaniously braking.

JLs and JTs share the same wheel tire combos. One would think there would be be more than this one incident reported.. We all know everything negative gets blasted on the internet, o where's all the random wheel failures? The only thing I could find was JT and JLs having issues with lug nuts coming loose and studs braking nothing about the wheel spontaniously braking.

Yeah I'm definitely leaning towards the dude sucks ass at driving and doesn't want to pay for new wheels while also still getting some internet points. But weird failures like that are definitely possible. It's not like I was ever planning on getting a Gladiator though.

As someone who has work for an automotive manufacturer for over 35 years I will say there is more to the story. Not sure what it is because I have witnessed a lot but , there was is more to it.
We call it “JDA”!
“I was just driving along” and the the wheels fell off!
I will tell you that “Two” brand new wheels do not fail on the “same” side of the vehicle with out adverse outside conditions. They just don’t !
My 2cents

Problem with the curb theory is there should be 2 areas of severe damage to the rim then, otherwise the axles would have to clear each rim without dropping down and making contact. Not too likely.

I'm not understanding what you're saying.

All i know is in my experience doing collision repair,when there is significant damage to wheels and suspension it is a single hit to the rim.not two.

If there was a freak casting issue with a wheel it would only be one at a time.and the porosity or progression of the cracks would be easy to see.

Reactions: reddvltj
I'm not understanding what you're saying.

All i know is in my experience doing collision repair,when there is significant damage to wheels and suspension it is a single hit to the rim.not two.

If there was a freak casting issue with a wheel it would only be one at a time.and the porosity or progression of the cracks would be easy to see.

When the spokes snapped the center remains bolted on the wheel hub that had to drop down and contact the outer rim causing damage, so if there was also contact with a curb there would be 2 areas of damage on each wheel.

Just saying curb damage is not viable unless the wheel hit a curb and magically parted twice without contacting the rim.

When the spokes snapped the center remains bolted on the wheel hub that had to drop down and contact the outer rim causing damage, so if there was also contact with a curb there would be 2 areas of damage on each wheel.

Just saying curb damage is not viable unless the wheel hit a curb and magically parted twice without contacting the rim.

Theres a lot more than 2 areas of damage on those wheels.... but only one area on each outer bead indicative of impact.

It isn't magic.unless you're on magic mushrooms?

Reactions: reddvltj
The customer isn’t telling the who.e story. Slid into a curb sideways, trying to get warranty repairs. I would see claims like this quite often at the dealer. Everyone the rear ended some the “ brakes failed” I loved that one, I would ask the customer two or there times. Then I would visually check the fluid, drop the hood and let them know the manufacturer would contact them. (This was the manufactures directive). It would turn into a nightmare for them dealing with the legal department.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
Theres a lot more than 2 areas of damage on those wheels.... but only one area on each outer bead indicative of impact.

It isn't magic.unless you're on magic mushrooms?

Exactly only one area of severe impact damage and that could not have been caused by the hub center? Why not

As someone who has work for an automotive manufacturer for over 35 years I will say there is more to the story. Not sure what it is because I have witnessed a lot but , there was is more to it.
We call it “JDA”!
“I was just driving along” and the the wheels fell off!
I will tell you that “Two” brand new wheels do not fail on the “same” side of the vehicle with out adverse outside conditions. They just don’t !
My 2cents

Agree here. The odds of one vehicle getting TWO bad wheels and them both being on the same side of said vehicle are astronomical...probably more likely to be struck by lightning twice. The rigorous nature of automotive testing, plus the sheer number of those wheels that are out there not failing...Not all of this story is being shared. Don't know if the guy is trying to "get away" with anything, but not all of the story is being shared.

Agree here. The odds of one vehicle getting TWO bad wheels and them both being on the same side of said vehicle are astronomical...probably more likely to be struck by lightning twice. The rigorous nature of automotive testing, plus the sheer number of those wheels that are out there not failing...Not all of this story is being shared. Don't know if the guy is trying to "get away" with anything, but not all of the story is being shared.

it's funny how many commenters on that post claim to have seen this happen on Jeep wheels out of nowhere and are ready to call it a factory casting flaw.

Reactions: reddvltj and Rickyd
This guy doesn’t need to explain to the insurance company what happened. The adjuster will come out. They know what to look for. There will be fractures in the wheel that led to this failure. Fractures in it due to the owner hitting both wheels hard on an object.

Owner is just looking for a way out.