How hot is your heat?

I got the thermostat on without any leaks now. Engine does heat up to around 210 now which is good and the heat feels nice and warm when it's up to operating temp. The problem I'm now experiencing is that it takes the engine a solid 20 minutes of driving to get up to operating temp. If I turn it on and let it idle it will almost never warm up to that. It has been in the twenties right now in the morning so I expect it to take an extra minute or so but it just seems too long. I'm positive I have the t-stat in there correctly (spring side into the engine block) and it is a 195*. I've also checked to make sure I got all the air bubbles out of the cooling system. It sounds stupid but is there a chance I have too much coolant in there or something?

So I have been battling this problem for a long time. I went after everything else first. Thermostat changed with OEM. Run 200-210. New OEM radiator, new OEM water pump. Flush the system completely, twice. No leaks from heater core, no smell, no fogging of windows but air is still luke warm. I’m afraid it’s time to tear the dash off and replace the core. Thoughts anyone? I better find that damn 10mm socket!!!

Reactions: Head Lice
So I have been battling this problem for a long time. I went after everything else first. Thermostat changed with OEM. Run 200-210. New OEM radiator, new OEM water pump. Flush the system completely, twice. No leaks from heater core, no smell, no fogging of windows but air is still luke warm. I’m afraid it’s time to tear the dash off and replace the core. Thoughts anyone? I better find that damn 10mm socket!!!

Have you looked into the blend door? There's a door that directs air through or around the heater core and if it's not working correctly your heated air may be getting diluted by unheated air.

The factory service manual (available for download in the Resources subforum) should help you with the proper troubleshooting steps.

Reactions: Head Lice
I got the thermostat on without any leaks now. Engine does heat up to around 210 now which is good and the heat feels nice and warm when it's up to operating temp. The problem I'm now experiencing is that it takes the engine a solid 20 minutes of driving to get up to operating temp. If I turn it on and let it idle it will almost never warm up to that. It has been in the twenties right now in the morning so I expect it to take an extra minute or so but it just seems too long. I'm positive I have the t-stat in there correctly (spring side into the engine block) and it is a 195*. I've also checked to make sure I got all the air bubbles out of the cooling system. It sounds stupid but is there a chance I have too much coolant in there or something?

It's normal that a no-load situation will not heat up the coolant very quickly. My suggestion is get in and drive, wear layers.

Try the troubleshooting guide in the shop manual first. Most days mine is very hot after about 5-10 minutes driving. Haven’t tried it today at -10 degrees.