How illegal is your Jeep?

How many vehicle codes does your Jeep violate (where you live)?

• 1-2

Votes: 22 22.9%
  • 3-4

Votes: 14 14.6%
  • 4-5

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • 6+

Votes: 10 10.4%
  • None, I'm legit!

Votes: 43 44.8%
  • All of them, I'm not road licensed!

Votes: 2 2.1%

• Total voters
Do you guys not have annual vehicle inspections?

I mean, currently mine has a non-functioning rear fog light (suspect failed multifunction switch), but I’ll have to get that fixed or it will fail the next annual inspection, and theoretically it’s a violation to drive the car in a state which means it won’t pass, although minor things are rarely picked up as the police have better things to do. (But people do get stopped for illegal lighting etc.)
No inspections or emissions here.

The one off-road park will measure exhaust noise for compliance to use the park.

The one off-road park will measure exhaust noise for compliance to use the park.
I don’t mind a nice sounding engine, but have never understood the motivation to be excessive. I test drove a truck and it bugged me within minutes, how people drive that constantly is also beyond me.

I mean, currently mine has a non-functioning rear fog light (suspect failed multifunction switch), but I’ll have to get that fixed or it will fail the next annual inspection, and theoretically it’s a violation to drive the car in a state which means it won’t pass, although minor things are rarely picked up as the police have better things to do. (But people do get stopped for illegal lighting etc.)

It depends on the state you are living in. States back on the east coast seem to have safety inspections. It's more to make sure your brakes and stuff work. And then states like Calif have emissions testing where you have pass a smog test.
Here in Washington we have vehicle codes that a lot are NOT enforced by the State Patrol or city police. There are a LOT of rigs with tires that extend past the fenders or flares. And dealerships sell brand new trucks that don't have mud flaps in them so by the vehicle codes are illegal. If you happen to run across a cop who had a fight or whatever with their spouse or significant other they might be tougher on you.

It's the same thing as when driving on the freeway you are suppose to stay in the right hand lane except when passing another vehicle. But TONS of people hang out in the left lane and the State Troopers never enforce this.

I don’t mind a nice sounding engine, but have never understood the motivation to be excessive. I test drove a truck and it bugged me within minutes, how people drive that constantly is also beyond me.
My car is very loud but it’s rarely driven. I prefer the Jeep being quiet out in nature.

My car is very loud but it’s rarely driven. I prefer the Jeep being quiet out in nature.
I absolutely hate the bikes/quads/side by sides that run around the trails so loud you can't have a conversation near them... especially 'those' guys that sit there and repeatedly have to rev up their engines over and over and over... makes me want to cut their fuel lines.

3rd brake light not DOT
then just take it off, my recent research indicates 3rd brake lights are not required in Pennsylvania, that was a surprise to me. The only rub is that if you do have one it must actually work. Thus:

3rd brake light.jpg

PENNDOT Publication:

(e) Other Required Lamps - A vehicle specified under this subchapter shall have at least one red stop lamp on each side of rear of vehicle, which shall be illuminated immediately upon application of the service brake.

Reactions: Kevin Q
All I can think of is that the tires go beyond the flairs, I moved the 3rd cat 6" I think only 3" is allowed, and my front rigid lights aren't covered.

Reactions: Wildman
All I can think of is that the tires go beyond the flairs, I moved the 3rd cat 6" I think only 3" is allowed, and my front rigid lights aren't covered.
why would they have to be covered... isn't 'off' enough?

why would they have to be covered... isn't 'off' enough?

ARTICLE 2. Headlamps and Auxiliary Lamps [24400 - 24411]

( Article 2 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )

Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a vehicle may be equipped with not more than eight lamps for use as headlamps while the vehicle is operated or driven off the highway. The lamps shall be mounted at a height of not less than 16 inches from the ground, or more than 12 inches above the top of the passenger compartment, at any place between the front of the vehicle and a line lying on a point 40 inches to the rear of the seat occupied by the driver, shall be wired independently of all other lighting circuits, and, whenever the vehicle is operated or driven upon a highway, shall be covered or hooded with an opaque hood or cover, and turned off.

1) CAI, had to for fenders. BUT, the sticker added 14hp
2) non dot headlights
3) no or missing front license plate
4) No rear plate light
5) fenders don't cover tires
6) non dot marker lights
7) ABS delete?? I think it is required
8) Hi-lift jack (or maybe that is just a forum shame thing)
9) uncovered off road lights.
10) GPS attached via suction cup to windshield (THX BOOG)

I'll add as I remember.

Last edited:

ARTICLE 2. Headlamps and Auxiliary Lamps [24400 - 24411]

( Article 2 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )

Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a vehicle may be equipped with not more than eight lamps for use as headlamps while the vehicle is operated or driven off the highway. The lamps shall be mounted at a height of not less than 16 inches from the ground, or more than 12 inches above the top of the passenger compartment, at any place between the front of the vehicle and a line lying on a point 40 inches to the rear of the seat occupied by the driver, shall be wired independently of all other lighting circuits, and, whenever the vehicle is operated or driven upon a highway, shall be covered or hooded with an opaque hood or cover, and turned off.
I have actually had that ticket many years ago. Had some old school KC daylighters on the headache rack of my flatbed for work. BUSTED

One time I drove for almost 25 minutes away from town before realizing I forgot to put the dealer plate on my second jeep (it had no plates of its own), also I had no doors with no side view mirrors on. Also I passed two cops. I made a mad dash back home in my 4 popper, and that was the most illegal feeling I got while driving a jeep.

In New York there are yearly inspections, how strictly it's enforced depends on the shop...some less scrupulous shops will slap a sticker on anything. Then you have the shops that see the slightest frame rot and even it's tiny they go nope we can't inspect this, send it to the junkyard.

I dont think I'm violating any codes but in FL there are no inspections and the law enforcement officers don't seem to care. I can't think of a time where someone I know got pulled over for a brake light, anything.

Edit: I do know someone who forgot to put their renewal sticker on their license plate....for a year and never got pulled over.

then just take it off, my recent research indicates 3rd brake lights are not required in Pennsylvania, that was a surprise to me. The only rub is that if you do have one it must actually work. Thus:

View attachment 242278

PENNDOT Publication:

(e) Other Required Lamps - A vehicle specified under this subchapter shall have at least one red stop lamp on each side of rear of vehicle, which shall be illuminated immediately upon application of the service brake.
Good to know. I have the circle LED lights but I thought it had to be a certain height above the taillights.