How is the factory Rubicon locker disengaged?

CodaMan

California Escapee
Supporting Member
How is the locker disengaged? Is it done by turning the pump back on for another shot of air or some other way? In other words, what happens when I press the switch to unlock an axle?

Like any selectable locker, it can only unlock when the pressure holding its two halves firmly engaged is removed. Like still locked together, as in when there is one side trying to turn faster than the other, even though its unlock button has been pushed by the driver. It unlocks only after that pressure is removed, like via a gentle S-turn or two, or after driving long enough to allow them to finally unlock after a gentle turn or two. There is no mechanism present designed to help it to unlock.

So hypothetically, if while the rear is locked I cut the rear air line the axle will unlock and the pump will continue to run? I have an idea to control axles independently without losing any functionality, including the dash lights but I have a couple things to figure out first.

I would have guessed a belleville washer, but with only 5 psi, I guess not. I follow you...what makes them disengage at rest.

So hypothetically, if while the rear is locked I cut the rear air line the axle will unlock and the pump will continue to run? I have an idea to control axles independently without losing any functionality, including the dash lights but I have a couple things to figure out first.
The pump will stop as soon as you shut the locker switch off or so long as the air system has 5 psi in it. If you cut the air line and turn the switch on yes the pump will continue to run. What I was trying to say above is the locker will remain locked, even with its switch shut off until you remove the loading on the locker with a mild S-turn or similar.

Reactions: CodaMan
There is a spring mechanism holding the two halves of the locker apart from each other.

The pump reaches whatever air pressure is needed overpower the spring mechanism to push the two halves of the locker together. The pump maintains that pressure. When the locker halves line up they will lock together.

The when the pump is turned off, it releases the air pressure. Then the spring mechanism will push the locker apart.

Reactions: AMS417
I have an idea to control axles independently without losing any functionality, including the dash lights but I have a couple things to figure out first.
Do you know about the factory override method by installing two switches. I'll try to find the thread but I followed it and installed independent switches. With the switches I can lock either axle independently regardless of transfer case position, speed etc and the dash lights will indicate when the axles are locked. The factory switch remains with the same functionality as from the factory.

I have an idea to control axles independently without losing any functionality, including the dash lights but I have a couple things to figure out first.

There’s some guides here to re-wire using the switch wiring to be able to control the axles independently. Doing it through the existing switch wiring adds two external switches (or bypassing it with direct power leads to the pumps, which is another option) keeps the independent lights and sensors where each will still blink while the lockers engage and remain solid while they’re engaged.

I did mine where either switch up engages either the front or rear at any speed, switch down stops the pumps and eventually they disengage (as Jerry mentioned they can sometimes take a little work to disengage).

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...-locker-bypass-use-your-lockers-in-4-hi.9241/

Last edited:
@psrivats figured it out

Reactions: psrivats
There’s some guides here to re-wire the switch to be able to control the axles independently. Doing it through the switch (instead of bypassing it, which is another option) keeps the independent lights and sensors where each will still blink while the lockers engage and remain solid while they’re engaged.

I did mine where either switch up engages either the front or rear at any speed, switch down stops the pumps and eventually they disengage (as Jerry mentioned they can sometimes take a little work to disengage).

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...-locker-bypass-use-your-lockers-in-4-hi.9241/
There is no way to lock independently with the factory switch.

There is no way to lock independently with the factory switch.

I should have clarified, this method adds two switches, either wired directly to the pump power leads or to the wiring connected to the existing switch. Following the link includes all that.

edited the original to make that clearer.

Reactions: jjvw
I just run my lockers with something similar to an S-pod. Works great and makes troubleshooting much easier.

I've been thinking I should do a video on troubleshooting and explaining how the rubicon lockers work.. It seems like a pretty common question.

Reactions: Viking Jeeper
There is a spring mechanism holding the two halves of the locker apart from each other.

The pump reaches whatever air pressure is needed overpower the spring mechanism to push the two halves of the locker together. The pump maintains that pressure. When the locker halves line up they will lock together.

The when the pump is turned off, it releases the air pressure. Then the spring mechanism will push the locker apart.
Of course but not when there's mechanical pressure holding it locked. Those small springs are not strong enough to unlock the locker/push-force the halves apart when there is differential (not air) pressure binding the two halves together.

Of course but not when there's mechanical pressure holding it locked. Those small springs are not strong enough to unlock the locker/push-force the halves apart when there is differential (not air) pressure binding the two halves together.

The mechanical bind between the locking plates is a given. Release that bind and the two halves of the locker will release via the spring force.

An S turn will do that, but it is far from necessary to create sufficient differential action.

The mechanical bind between the locking plates is a given. Release that bind and the two halves of the locker will release via the spring force.
That was the intent of my posts... that you have to assist the locker (with S-turns etc.) to unbind it before it can unlock on its own via its small internal springs. I assumed too much that everyone knew about the small internal springs but they can't force it (they're not strong enough) to unlock it when the locker is still bound up after shutting the locker switch off.

I show how to break the switches up without losing factory safety settings or dash light functionality in my build thread. See page 8 in my build thread.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/psrivats-2005-tj-rubicon-mild-build.14128/

Reactions: CodaMan and jjvw