How long did fluid film last inside your frame?

ufatbasted

Curious for those who have used FF inside the frame. How long did it last?
I sprayed the inside of my frame Fall 2019 and when I stick my fingers in the frame holes the FF is till there. It's still slippery as hell in there.

I've been spraying the outside yearly but the FF on the inside sure seems to last a long time.

I pretty much always do it once in late fall/early winter and once in late spring/early summer. Even after flushing it out midway between seasonal applications, there's still plenty that lingers in there.

Is this something most of you jeepester do? I know mine has interior rust in the frame, but how do you really clean it and prevent it? I mean, the rust has been growing since 1997 and I am not sure living in the snow belt I can stop it. So is it really something that most of you do. I do not use my jeep as a rock climber, only on road driving. And if you do yours what is the steps and cost and is it worth it if the frame is/already has internal rust? thanks

Is this something most of you jeepester do? I know mine has interior rust in the frame, but how do you really clean it and prevent it? I mean, the rust has been growing since 1997 and I am not sure living in the snow belt I can stop it. So is it really something that most of you do. I do not use my jeep as a rock climber, only on road driving. And if you do yours what is the steps and cost and is it worth it if the frame is/already has internal rust? thanks

I can help ya with this. Mine is my DD, although it gets driven a lot less now that I'm permanent WFH. Short answer, yeah it's absolutely worth it.

Are you finding chunks and shit in there, or is it just not smooth to the touch? If chunks/flakes, best thing to start is to get as much out of there as you can. You can fish stuff out with extendable/flexible magnets. Personally, I drilled drain holes in mine in front of the LCA's to flush it out with hose water occasionally. You can also make a little flail tool to use with a normal power drill and stick that in there to break up chunks before you flush them out.

I recommend you look through this thread here - it has a lot of good info and goes into more detail about what I said above.

To your last question about it being worth it, I've used FF over existing rust, inside and out, as well as over clean, rust-free metal. It does what it's supposed to on both. I swear by it, not just for Jeeps either. There are cheaper alternatives for sure (e.g., used motor oil in the frame), but I just happen to like how it sticks around and works for long periods of time.

Mine is still gooey from last year. I don't plan on Jeeping in the winter again so I'm going to work at cleaning the underside. My Grand Cherokee still has a pretty good coat as well - I'm being lazy this year and not doing it.

Thanks for the replies. I ended up coating the inside of the frame again as I was doing the outside and underside of the Jeep anyway.

what TJ Addict posted is spot on. ! drilled drain holes at the low part f the frame as well . I also added a galvanized washer between the skid and the frame so I could keep that area clean and spray FF there.

Last edited:
Each spring and fall I hook a hose up to my frame on a hill and let it run for a while. I'll throw a few squirts of dove soap in half way through the process. This does harm the Fluid Film a bit but I find it really helps remove the dirt/salt from the frame.

I then drive it for a few days and follow it up with 3 cans in fall and normally just one can in the spring.

They just started salting our roads here yesterday.. So LJ will be seeing a lot less road use for the next few months. My 2017 Ram which I drive all winter had body panels now starting to rust fully out.. I really should have started to fluid film it when I bought it.

Hey, yes it's a big topic here. In case it's helpful, here are my notes on the topic, which include links to any tools I bought along the way.

Reactions: Not_Invented_Here_
I do mine twice a year, one day I will take the pressure washer with a roll around up sprayer to it, drive it for a day or two to dry everything out, then grab the sprayer and run about a quart of FF over the whole underside and inside of the frame. FYI, the sprayer and a gallon bucket of FF is way more economical and produces, IMHO, a better result than the spray cans.........

It won't make the rust go away but it will keep it from spreading. Like others have said, getting the stuff out of there, drill drain holes, and keep it lubed. I personally just blend used motor oil with a bit of diesel and shoot it in there with air compressor, costs me nothing.

the inside is a hard area to deal with. you need a few holes in the bottom of the rails to flush out the crap and rinse now and then. no matter what condition your frame is in, as long as your not wasting product on something that needs replaced, it's gonna help. it's gonna soak the rust that exists and help smother it's growth and then coat any area that hasn't started yet.

use the 360* wand extension tip and i tape that to a coat hanger so it doesn't just wind up in the frame and i can get a nice dispersal and know the length of rail it reached and treated.