How long did you look and how far did you go for your LJ?

freedom_in_4low

I'm a rooster illusion
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I've made some references to my plan around here, but at some point in the next few months I'm going to be buying an LJ. I expect it'll be one of those Jeeps that stays with me for a very long time, possibly for life, so I won't be making compromises when it comes to rust or previous-owner shenanigans like cold air intakes and bolt-on long arm kits. I plan to swap over most of my build from the TJ so I have a strong preference for as stock as possible. I suspect many of you around here are equally particular, so I'm curious about what is typical for length-of-search as well as how wide I need to cast my net, as well as any tips on what websites seem to be the most fruitful.

I was a bit impatient with mine and could've/should've looked longer and harder. But due to just needing a second vehicle at the time is why I didn't. But that being said, I looked for several weeks and ended up going about 2 hours away to find mine. Mine is a decent build as is which gives me a head start, but definitely leaves room for improvement.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
My wife suggested we get a Jeep after a trip to the desert the end of January. I started my research and pretty quickly decided I wanted an LJ specifically. We were waiting to hear back from a friend who knew someone who was selling an LJ. You just know that took months and didn’t pan out.

Then Covid hit.

The first pic I have on the phone is May 10

I joined this forum on 5/22/20

I found my current Jeep for sale on eBay. I bid, but didn’t win. The winner was a flake and so the seller offered it to me as second highest bid.
Flew from Southern California to Denver Colorado on June 3 to buy and pick up.

So 5ish months, a plane flight and a 1000 mile drive home. We did hit all 5 National Parks in Utah on the way home

I was searching for a wrecked LJ so i could build it a bit cheaper. I looked at insurance auctions in Spokane, Seattle, Portland and Alaska for about 6 months before finding my candidate in Spokane.

I searched 4 months and ended up going 100 miles for my TJ...If I had known of the amazing benefits an LJ at the time (I'm so much wiser now) I would have held out much longer and expanded the search area.

I went from a Yukon Denali to a TJ. I now pack much lighter since my fiance won't compromise so I would have loved a LJ :)

I was searching for a wrecked LJ so i could build it a bit cheaper. I looked at insurance auctions in Spokane, Seattle, Portland and Alaska for about 6 months before finding my candidate in Spokane.

interesting approach. I take it you have the skills and resources to repair damage? I could see taking care of some minor dents or replacing bolt-on body panels but I don't expect that's the sort of thing an LJ gets totaled for. I'd be at the mercy of body shops to do anything significant with tubs or the frame.

What really sucks is there's a super clean (in photos at least) red 05, bone stock with a hardtop and 105k miles IN MY TOWN for $15,900. I'd probably have bought it this week but I'm in the middle of a refi on my house so I can't make any big purchases until that's done. I told a buddy about it and he offered to front me the cash but there's somebody looking at it today before I'll get to, and I can't imagine it doesn't get bought. I'm telling myself it's for the best because it's an auto and I'd really much rather have a manual.

Searched for about two years, went to Denver to pick it up. Was hoping for the rubicon model but every one I tried to buy sold before I could grab it. Good Luck!!

thanks! I'm not even looking at Rubicons because they seem to cost more than what it does to mod a non-Rubi into having the same capabilities.

I hope it doesn't take 2 years but I like how many people are talking about buying in Denver because that's short enough that I could drive up there, leave my truck, drive the Jeep home, and be back for my truck 90 minutes later.

I looked for 6 months for my LJ, Washington, Oregon, Idaho.
Exactly what I was looking for popped up 1/2 mile from my house. I had called all the local dealerships in my area and told them what I was looking for. Older couple traded this one in that morning. Bought it site unseen.
Take your time, it's out there somewhere. Good luck.

When I started getting interested in a Jeep I started saving money and keeping a spreadsheet of interesting finds on the internet. It was probably about three months before this popped up here on this forum:
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/4200-lj-needs-transmission.28800/
It needed a new transmission, soft top, shocks, and general TLC. On top of those things it was just over $1000 to get it shipped from San Antonio, TX to my parents' house in western Kentucky. I live up in Michigan.

The two things that to me made it worth the distance and hassle were the price and the frame condition. And I don't mind fixing it because I learn some stuff, I still haven't spent what I could sell it for, and I don't feel bad driving it because it's not brand new.

thanks! I'm not even looking at Rubicons because they seem to cost more than what it does to mod a non-Rubi into having the same capabilities.

I hope it doesn't take 2 years but I like how many people are talking about buying in Denver because that's short enough that I could drive up there, leave my truck, drive the Jeep home, and be back for my truck 90 minutes later.
That's very convenient for you, always seems to be some good deals there for LJ's, I was surprised to find no rust on the frame and just a spot (small one) on the body. Plus the prices were very good compared to my area, I spend a lot of time on the western slope so It was no issue for me. I used a U-Haul carrier to get it home.

I just returned from a 5 week trip, did some stuff in the San Juan's, will be back next summer for a few months.

Close to a year, range was a 300 mile drive one-way.

Right as COVID hit, before everything closed, I found a dealer across the state that had a nice LJ listed. They were a little overpriced but I told them I'd be there the next day if they got it down. They called me back with an offer of $1 less than I asked for, total out-the-door. Showed up the next morning, signed paperwork with no games, and drove it home. I think it was close to 400 miles round trip. Well worth it.

I was watching them casually for about a year, then saw this one on Facebook and watched it as the seller kept dropping the price until I jumped on it. I'm quite happy with it for $12.5k and 108k miles. Lots of stuff to do to get it where I want, but it's in pretty good shape overall. I only had to drive from Littleton to Brighton for it.

interesting approach. I take it you have the skills and resources to repair damage? I could see taking care of some minor dents or replacing bolt-on body panels but I don't expect that's the sort of thing an LJ gets totaled for. I'd be at the mercy of body shops to do anything significant with tubs or the frame.

What really sucks is there's a super clean (in photos at least) red 05, bone stock with a hardtop and 105k miles IN MY TOWN for $15,900. I'd probably have bought it this week but I'm in the middle of a refi on my house so I can't make any big purchases until that's done. I told a buddy about it and he offered to front me the cash but there's somebody looking at it today before I'll get to, and I can't imagine it doesn't get bought. I'm telling myself it's for the best because it's an auto and I'd really much rather have a manual.

Actually my abilities are restricted to basically cutting with an angle grinder and welding with a mig. Mine was hit in quarter and i hammered It out as best as I could then out armor over it. Rear axle was broken so I put Jk Axles in. Basically the only things I repaired are the things I was planning to replace anyhow. It's in my build thread. I got it for 8500 so getting it wrecked paid for my axles essentially.

Looked for one on and off for approx 1.5 yrs. Saw plenty of over-priced and/or worn out ones. Would get discouraged and not look for a while. Finally decided to pull the trigger and found one within a month of starting the search again. Was approx 150 miles away, 100% Texas owned history. Glad I finally decided to purchase one. Just be patient and make sure it’s the one you want, buyers remorse sucks...