How much lateral movement is normal for a Johnny Joint track bar?

Sudo

TJ Enthusiast
Anyone know how much lateral movement if any is normal for a currie johnny joint (frame side) of a trac bar?

I'm trying to chase down a popping/clicking noise in the front end and noticed lateral movement in that specific joint. JJ's on my jeep have about 15k miles in 3 years they've been installed.

Also uncertain as to whether that is the source of clicking/popping noise. Noise exhibits more frequently or is more observable in 4wd either turning slightly left or right or tire on one side or the other bumping up over a rock.

With someone at the wheel trying to reproduce the noise, I can feel it most prominent at the steering gear box. I just don't see anything obvious yet. I could feel some popping in the trac bar and noticed the lateral movement at the frame side joint, hence the inquiry. I do plan on retorquing steering components etc and doing more steering component inspections.

Figured that popping or clicking noise would be odd for a Johnny joint but so far is the only thing I've observed that is "moving".

I figured I'd pull the joint out and take a look. Didn't realize the tool to pull them are 150 each. Ouch...

There is always a chance that a JJ could loosen some and a click/pop could be the result. While the tool makes service easier with a bit of ingenuity you can rig up a ball joint press or use some allthread and sleeves to make a tool. Also check out @jjvw thread on shimming JJs to tighten them back up.

Reactions: jjvw and Sudo
Yeah, did that on the trail yesterday. Just not long enough to be certain I haven't missed anything. So will be checking again. Only noticed track bar joint moving with housing. Just not sure if it's "normal".

.... Only noticed track bar joint moving with housing. Just not sure if it's "normal".

It is normal to the extent that there is a polyurethane race inside the Johnny Joint that can and will deflect a bit when steering force is placed upon it. If the internals of the joint are clunking, then the race either needs to be replaced or shimmed tight again. If the bolt is slipping, then it needs to be tightened or replaced if it has been stretched past it's yield point.

This is why it is wise to have the engine running during the steer test. The power steering will apply more force to shove loose things around than a human can at the steering wheel.

Might be a "red herring" in my case then. I'll check it and keep looking. Thanks for the reply.

Anything common in the steering box that could cause the popping/clicking ? I haven't observed anything there just is where I felt it the strongest. Hoping to have some time this week to diagnose further.

Anything common in the steering box that could cause the popping/clicking ? I haven't observed anything there just is where I felt it the strongest. Hoping to have some time this week to diagnose further.

Loose pitman arm.

Reactions: jjvw