How much lateral movement should be in the rear sway bar?

AceShooter

How much lateral movement should be in the rear sway bar? I noticed today that I can grab the rear sway bar and move 1/4”+.

Also noticed my axle end of my track bar as a slight amount of play in it. Frame side is solid. Question here would the play in the track bar be magnified in the steering wheel? I have probably an inch or slightly more play in the steering wheel and just trying to narrow things down.

Just did the ZJ tie rod upgrade and replaced draglink also.

I don't think 1/4" play of lateral movement is excessive for a sway bar. A quick google search found that the sports car guys are using sway bar locks to try and limit sway bar lateral movement to 1/8" of less. Their concern being a change in handling feel as they go through a corner. Sway bar is mostly about body lean.

Reactions: AceShooter
The sway bar bushings the may be worn. Grab hold of the connections and rock the Jeep side to side. If you feel movement then it is time to replace the links and axle bushings. This should noticably tighten up the ride.

I’ll give that a shot!

So next question. If PO swapped out the rear for a ford 8.8 would the sway bar match the rear end or the Jeep?

I’ll give that a shot!

So next question. If PO swapped out the rear for a ford 8.8 would the sway bar match the rear end or the Jeep?

You'll have to get under there and tell us. But the same concerns would still apply. :)

Nothing controls the lateral movement of the front or rear sway bar in the sway bar bushings except the bends in the bars themselves. If there is some lateral movement, it won't hurt a thing. The only thing to check is if you can move the sway bar up and down or front to back easily which indicates wear but again, that won't hurt anything and the sway bar will still function as it should but with a teensie bit of slop and maybe some associated noise.