How much would you pay for a salvage title TJ Rubicon?

Well, assuming that it's not rusted and was repaired correctly, my thought has always been that a salvage title vehicle is always worth at most a little more than half that of the same vehicle with a clean title.

Generally speaking, a salvage title tanks the resale value of a vehicle, hence the reason it has to be priced much cheaper.

Well, assuming that it's not rusted and was repaired correctly, my thought has always been that a salvage title vehicle is always worth at most a little more than half that of the same vehicle with a clean title.

Generally speaking, a salvage title tanks the resale value of a vehicle, hence the reason it has to be priced much cheaper.
And as Jerry pointed out you are at risk for repair/replacement if stolen or damaged with no insured value in most cases.

Reactions: reddvltj and Chris
The crux of value for a salvage vehicle is getting it registered and that process is state function, not federal so you need to research what that will cost. The fact it is being sold on a salvage title says the buyer was discouraged by the process and wants out.

I'll bid $1.00 if you cover shipping.
This is very true. My daughters Mazda 626 was rear ended, totaling hers and the other vehicle. Hers was a damaged license plate. I got a thousand from the insurance company and kept the car. It cost me almost the full thousand to put it back on the road legally. Inspections and the like. The sticking point was the license plate lamp was out. I ultimately fixed it, bad ground. But, was frustrated at what I had to go through. I knew there were cars out there with one headlight and it was held on with duct tape facing the stars. And here I was making my car perfect to be allowed on the road. Mind you, no frame damage and no body damage, including the bumper.

Since I just bought an 04 TJR about a month ago from a dealership with 64,000 miles ont it for $10,400, I would assume one with a salvage title would be worth a lot less. Maybe 7-8k at most. I personally would look for one without the title issues.

Mine only has paint issues from being wheeled along with a few digs a such. Which doesn't bother me at all. I can't stand when people look at Jeep's and the only thing they talk about is the paint job.

Reactions: reddvltj
Thanks for all the input everyone. I am not seeing clean title TJRs for under 12k these days..especially on the west coast rust free, its hard to find them even for around 15k.

Thanks for all the input everyone. I am not seeing clean title TJRs for under 12k these days..especially on the west coast rust free, its hard to find them even for around 15k.

I don't live in one of those areas either. Clean Wranglers here are not cheap, if they are they are gone in a couple hours.

Last edited:
A salvage title makes it practically worthless as a vehicle. Only value to me would be parting it out. So being 'repaired' adds little value to me other than having a few other parts to sell. A totaled vehicle without any frame damage would be an oddity. The frame may have been straightened.
I’m no expert on this matter but I can say a vehicle can be totaled without frame damage. I own a car that has a salvage title due to lots of hail damage on the hood and a few other spots on the body. Zero frame damage.

The frame rust on many of these Wranglers should probably result in salvage titles and people naively buy them every day.
In BC if you import a vehicle with a rusty frame, it will not pass inspection and you won't be allowed to register it. Yet BC never requires an inspection if the vehicle has a current BC Registration.

opposite end of writing a vehicle off.... my buddy had brand new MB and got t-boned. The b-pillar was past the passenger seat. They repaired it.... he sold it the day he got it back.

I drive with PL & PD, no collision, no specified perils, no comprehensive. If I have an accident, they'll never know and I'll fix it. That saves me maybe $500 a year, 40 years later, I can buy 2 more TJs with the insurance savings.

In that case,
$9300
paid 9300.00 for a 2006 Rubicon
Auto with 80,000 miles and a salvage title ..it had been stolen and the VIN removed on the dash, thats all.

Worked out great .

Am I pro salvage title? Not really , it depends on the situation, condition, mileage and plan for the vehicle . If you go that route , you really need to know what you are looking for in a TJ , enough people get burned on non salvaged ones.