How NOT to check bumpstops

Yeah I don't support REI either. They donate big coin to the Sierra Club and as far as I'm concerned, they can go hike to hell.

I’m ready to go skiing. Waxed and tuned them today, first trip is booked. Now to wait.

I’m ready to go skiing. Waxed and tuned them today, first trip is booked. Now to wait.

I feel exactly the same way...except that I'm not going skiing, and I haven't waxed or tuned my skis recently. I do have a trip booked, but it doesn't involve skiing. I also don't own any skis, now that I think about it. In fact, I'm not sure that I even know to ski. Have I ever been skiing? 🤔

I feel exactly the same way...except that I'm not going skiing, and I haven't waxed or tuned my skis recently. I do have a trip booked, but it doesn't involve skiing. I also don't own any skis, now that I think about it. In fact, I'm not sure that I even know to ski. Have I ever been skiing? 🤔

Never to late to start....

Never to late to start....

All of my caps are tied up in stupid Jeep projects. Or stupid non-Jeep projects. Or stupid things that aren't projects at all. Point is: I'm on Ramen-thin ice over here, brah... so unless UNICEF is giving out free skis to underfunded morons, I'm going to be stuck at the bottom of the chairlift.

Fun Fact: I have an unreasonable fear of being stuck on a chairlift, cable car and/or Ferris wheel with an attractive woman that turns out to be psychotic after five minutes of entirely-too-successful conversation.

• Haha
Reactions: Igoo65
OMG YOU GOT STUCK ON A CHAIRLIFT?!?!
Yes in fact I did. We were up there for 2 hours at Mt. Hood waiting for them to fix the cable. When we got down they explained their factor 55 strap-on got stuck in the cable. Should have gone with synthetic and a safety thimble....oh wait wrong thread

Oh, and she spent all day Sunday driving over rocks. Lots of rock had fallen off the cliffs where we were at. Easy to drive around, lots of room. But no, my sweetheart drove OVER them. Used proper technique, but still. Going out of your way to drive OVER a rock in the road!? I've created a monster.

Edited to add: Savvy rocker guards are looking better all the time.

Your wife sounds like my wife. We both go out of our way to drive over stuff :)

Reactions: StG58
Dang, it looks like the wife's little escapade with flying Jeeps got a rear shock / mount and possibly a rear LCA and the rear track bar. I'll find out this weekend what the new clunk and noises from the rear end are. NOT HAPPY!

Bumps not set at hard limit??
Yup, they are. It looks like the rear drivers side shock is leaking. The passenger side upper shock mount bolts are suspect, but may be fine. Some of the rear bushings in the track bar and CA's may have given up the ghost, finally, from age and abuse. That was a hard hit.

There's a new clunk and some rattles developing that need further investigation.

The bump stops were checked metal to metal when I installed the springs a couple of years ago.

You guys have great wives, congrats! I wish mine enjoyed going offroad with me but she hates it and barely tolerates my Jeep.

So far as REI goes, we have a couple here in San Diego and I no longer go to them. Leftist politics and a true hate for us offroaders. I was in there to look at a GPS way back when Garmin's 60CSx was hot and when I said it was for my Jeep and offroading, the place took on a distinct chill and the salesrep suddenly lost interest in helping me. the chill was like I had just turned into the Grim Reaper. REI is pretty much anti-everything I enjoy.
I hear you Jerry! I refuse to spend one dime in a REI! I live in Colorado Springs and they are always trying to close trails and if you mention you're into 4 wheeling, they treat you like a Leper!

Igoo65

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Sorry I am kind of late to the party on this thread, but I wanted you to know that I am laughing my ass off! @Sundowner, dude you're cracking me up! Their is a serious lack of common sense at work today and I needed the laugh! Thanks!

Yup, they are. It looks like the rear drivers side shock is leaking. The passenger side upper shock mount bolts are suspect, but may be fine. Some of the rear bushings in the track bar and CA's may have given up the ghost, finally, from age and abuse. That was a hard hit.

There's a new clunk and some rattles developing that need further investigation.

The bump stops were checked metal to metal when I installed the springs a couple of years ago.

Gotcha, that’s too bad about broken stuff. Once you’re able to assess the damage maybe those some pics up. Good luck

Reactions: StG58
Coming out of the woods this weekend with the wife driving. 2nd gear, 3,000 rpm down hill. 4,250 lbs gvw, a full off road back country load-out. 31x10.50 tires at 28 psi.

There was a ledge in the road, maybe 10-12"? I saw it, the wife saw it and cruised right over it. Got fully into the front bump stops with no rubbing. The rear hit it, again, fully into the bump stops with no rubbing. The TJ launched probably six inches into to air with all four off the ground on rebound. Landed with aplomb, no rubbing. The bump stops are set correctly, it seems.

The wife laughed hard for probably ten minutes afterwards.

I need to check underneath to see if anything got bent or broken. If so, she's buying me axles!
You are lucky!

Sorry I am kind of late to the party on this thread, but I wanted you to know that I am laughing my ass off! @Sundowner, dude you're cracking me up! Their is a serious lack of common sense at work today and I needed the laugh! Thanks!

It's the only thing I'm good at; glad you're enjoying me. Also: phrasing.

• Haha
Reactions: Igoo65 and Ct_tj