How reliable (or unreliable) has your TJ been?

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Given all the frustrations and unreliability that @jeep_boss has had to deal with regarding his TJ, this really got me thinking. For those of you who daily drive your TJ, how reliable or unreliable has it been for you?

I wish I could give my input on this, but my TJ is usually only driven on weekends, and there's no way we put more than 5000 miles on it a year (if that), so I don't feel I'm qualified to say. I will add that my TJ(s) have never once let me down, and neither have any of my past XJs. They've always been very reliable vehicles for us.

How about you folks?

I have owned my TJ for close to 13 years putting 125K miles on the clock. It has never left me stranded yet. Normal maintenance, a battery or 3, and the normal wear and tear items replaced. I'm at 156K and would have no problem hoping in it and driving 1000 miles to Moab for some wheeling, coming home, and daily driving it to work. The TJ truly is a workhorse.

April will be 2 years I've had my 99, 5 spd Tj and have put 16k on it. Bought it with 135k and it's around 151k. Beside a tune up, I've replaced the radiator, front exhaust pipe, muffler, tail pipe, battery and axle u joint. Knock on wood is been solid so far.

Reactions: Squatch and Chris
Good to hear this stuff! American vehicles usually get a bad rap for reliability, but I've always felt that pairing a 4.0 with solid axles and a simple drivetrain (in other words, the TJ or XJ) was a recipe for reliability. My TJ (and my past XJs) are the type of vehicles that I would never hesitate to drive all the way across the U.S. and back, without ever worrying about them letting me down.

I think it boils down to preventative maintenance, and how you use the vehicle. Sure, if you beat the piss out of it off-road, it's not going to last you as long as a mildly driven TJ, but that's just common sense.

Good to hear this stuff! American vehicles usually get a bad rap for reliability, but I've always felt that pairing a 4.0 with solid axles and a simple drivetrain (in other words, the TJ or XJ) was a recipe for reliability. My TJ (and my past XJs) are the type of vehicles that I would never hesitate to drive all the way across the U.S. and back, without ever worrying about them letting me down.

I think it boils down to preventative maintenance, and how you use the vehicle. Sure, if you beat the piss out of it off-road, it's not going to last you as long as a mildly driven TJ, but that's just common sense.

I pretty much neglected to do maintenance on mine besides oil changes and torquing the bolts but. I’m guessing it was ready for a good tune when I sold it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Squatch and Chris
Forgot to mention, my 92 XJ had 200k before I sold it, man do I miss it and never had any issues at all. That's why I went back to a jeep when I sold my Audi.

The difference between a Jeep and an Audi in terms of reliability is night and day. Well, I used to own an Audi S4 and had nothing but issues with that damn thing. I'll never again own an Audi or a VW... so many bad experiences with them.

But yeah, I've owned 5 XJs over the past, one of them with 300k miles that never once let me down!

The difference between a Jeep and an Audi in terms of reliability is night and day. Well, I used to own an Audi S4 and had nothing but issues with that damn thing. I'll never again own an Audi or a VW... so many bad experiences with them.

But yeah, I've owned 5 XJs over the past, one of them with 300k miles that never once let me down!

My wife had an 07 VW Passat. Loved it at first but gave us all kinds of problems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Chris
its been about as reliable as reliable as your local DMV or the cable company.
over the past year ive done clutch, slave cylinder, master cylinder, throughout bearing, pressure plate, stearing box, pitman arm, most of the electrical, radiator fan, axle ,u joints, tranny mounts, bearings, gears, 4wd linkage. and rn im looking at a transmission an oil pump a fuel pump a starter and many more. I think im not doing something right haha.

My 01 S4 was a pain, replaced the water pump around 8 times along with the timing belt and I'm sure you know how involved a timing belt job is with audi. Got to a point where I could do a timing belt job in my sleep, lol. Never ever will I buy a German car again.

Well my '05 A4 had 155K on the clock and it ran flawlessly the entire time. Only left me stranded once and that was the battery, so I can't be too upset by it. I put next to nothing in it and just took really good care of it. The 1.8T is a great motor and the 6speed was great. I did finally replace the clutch at 152K, but I live in a very hilly area, so it does wear the clutch a bit more around here.

I also had an XJ that had 150K on it when I sold it to a friend that still drives it with over 250K on it and it is running strong. Has a Rubicon 5.5 lift, Dana 44 rear posi with four wheel disk brakes and 35's on it. It is also a 5 speed and I bought it new. Loved it, so I am back in a Jeep, but still have an S5 for trips. The 13 or newer S4's and 5's are very good, but not the pre 13's. Love cars and have had a TON of them from Mercedes, BMW's, Alfas, old Vettes, Jags, 55 Chevy, 280zx and just so many cars. Back in a Jeep and can't wait to drive it. Hate waiting, but a month or so isn't the end of the world.

I have driven my TJ from the atlantic coast of southern Florida to the pacific coast of northern Washington with 160k miles on it and did not run into 1 issue on that journey.

Mind you that I have done some preventative maintenance prior in the hopes nothing would happen on that journey.

The biggest issue with mine has been rust, and that was all pre-existing in my situation.

Beat on most Japanese or European cars like we beat on our Jeeps and they won't last nearly as long or be nearly as reliable. It's the fiddly bits that fail on Jeeps.

The term most has to imply exceptions, and it's those exceptions (both Jap and German) that I have owned and driven HARD. Never have I been so nervous behind the wheel as I have been with my TJR though. I also do not know that the feedback here would accurately reflect the mass majority of overall Jeep reliability experiences. Most here seem to have positive experiences to report, but at the same time - I couldn't guess how many folks here have actually owned a reliable Yota to compare to in terms of maintenance and TCO.

All vehicles have personalities and can be uniquely reliable — or just complete dog shit by design (such as the 1980 VW Scirocco and 2000 Audi S5 I owned, all things VAG just SUCK).

If anyone here has been around long enough to own something that is an uphill battle to maintain from the onset, then you can feel my pain with this TJR. Murphy's law seems to follow this vehicle, and I thought I was getting into a "platform" that I could actually wheel, but JFC.

The problem is for a ~105K vehicle, it feels in many ways like 200K+ already. It had 92K and change when I bought it. Although it wasn't perfect, I never got the sense that it would be the disaster on wheels that it has been. I had spent over 3 months looking at Jeeps before I landed on this one. I saw a lot of junk projects, and many (most of the rest) weren't pretending to be running well. This one stood out from the pack and I bought it.

I never felt that it would leave me stranded until it did. A few weeks after I had replaced the head and finally wrangled my steering setup - I thought that things were finally looking up, but my god - there does not seem to be any end in sight to the problems or design flaws that my OCD will not let me just ignore.

I do not baby this Jeep, but I cannot in good faith wheel it like it's marketed to wheel. I do not see it being a daily driver without significant ongoing maintenance, and parts aren't anywhere near as abundant as they are for Toyota's (even those over a decade OLDER than my 05).

I don't know what else to say, there's just some bad juju. Maybe I'm too hard on it, maybe the Chrysler union folks were getting ready to strike the day they started putting mine together, I can't exactly say. Some of those fiddle bits that fail on these seem to be the difference from getting back home safe and sound.... or hiking on foot 75 miles back down a maze of NF roads with my 10yr old daughter, back towards civilization for a tow truck :(

With all of that said, the problem. The mother of all f**king problems that I have with this Jeep is that I still love it. I already have a ton of history with it, made more sacrifices than I should have, hell - my hands are TOAST from a bunch of work that I recently did to it, but I can look down at this giant blood blister under my thumb nail and all that I can think about is when is this going to heal so I can finish doing X, Y, Z to it LOL.

It's a sickness.

I feel your pain and know your frustration @jeep_boss. I really do. My Suburban loves me and hates my wife. It has never given me a problem, but she's destroyed a transfer case, blown up a front axle, and had various other problems with it. Why? Who knows. Her JKU pees on my leg every time it rains.

I hope you can make peace with your TJ eventually. A good TJ is a great little rig.

its been about as reliable as reliable as your local DMV or the cable company.
over the past year ive done clutch, slave cylinder, master cylinder, throughout bearing, pressure plate, stearing box, pitman arm, most of the electrical, radiator fan, axle ,u joints, tranny mounts, bearings, gears, 4wd linkage. and rn im looking at a transmission an oil pump a fuel pump a starter and many more. I think im not doing something right haha.
Oh...maintenance items! LOL But dude, it becomes a better vehicle every time you do that, so chin up. It's all good! :thumbsup:

The term most has to imply exceptions, and it's those exceptions (both Jap and German) that I have owned and driven HARD. Never have I been so nervous behind the wheel as I have been with my TJR though. I also do not know that the feedback here would accurately reflect the mass majority of overall Jeep reliability experiences. Most here seem to have positive experiences to report, but at the same time - I couldn't guess how many folks here have actually owned a reliable Yota to compare to in terms of maintenance and TCO.

All vehicles have personalities and can be uniquely reliable — or just complete dog shit by design (such as the 1980 VW Scirocco and 2000 Audi S5 I owned, all things VAG just SUCK).

If anyone here has been around long enough to own something that is an uphill battle to maintain from the onset, then you can feel my pain with this TJR. Murphy's law seems to follow this vehicle, and I thought I was getting into a "platform" that I could actually wheel, but JFC.

The problem is for a ~105K vehicle, it feels in many ways like 200K+ already. It had 92K and change when I bought it. Although it wasn't perfect, I never got the sense that it would be the disaster on wheels that it has been. I had spent over 3 months looking at Jeeps before I landed on this one. I saw a lot of junk projects, and many (most of the rest) weren't pretending to be running well. This one stood out from the pack and I bought it.

I never felt that it would leave me stranded until it did. A few weeks after I had replaced the head and finally wrangled my steering setup - I thought that things were finally looking up, but my god - there does not seem to be any end in sight to the problems or design flaws that my OCD will not let me just ignore.

I do not baby this Jeep, but I cannot in good faith wheel it like it's marketed to wheel. I do not see it being a daily driver without significant ongoing maintenance, and parts aren't anywhere near as abundant as they are for Toyota's (even those over a decade OLDER than my 05).

I don't know what else to say, there's just some bad juju. Maybe I'm too hard on it, maybe the Chrysler union folks were getting ready to strike the day they started putting mine together, I can't exactly say. Some of those fiddle bits that fail on these seem to be the difference from getting back home safe and sound.... or hiking on foot 75 miles back down a maze of NF roads with my 10yr old daughter, back towards civilization for a tow truck :(

With all of that said, the problem. The mother of all f**king problems that I have with this Jeep is that I still love it. I already have a ton of history with it, made more sacrifices than I should have, hell - my hands are TOAST from a bunch of work that I recently did to it, but I can look down at this giant blood blister under my thumb nail and all that I can think about is when is this going to heal so I can finish doing X, Y, Z to it LOL.

It's a sickness.

Agree, it is a sickness.

Heres the thing though, these vehicles are at the youngest 12 years old. You don't know everything about it's history (unless you've owned it from new) and as such there's going to be a period where you're going to be doing "lots" of preventative work. Basically a pseudo restoration.

I'm unsure of the parts statement with regard to Toyotas though, with the TJ, I've never seen so many parts available from so many vendors at quite reasonable pricing. I was racing a Lotus 7 replica with a Toyota 4age, T50 gearbox and sprinter rear end a few years ago and worldwide, parts were starting to get fairly scarce in the end.