How reliable (or unreliable) has your TJ been?

My jeep is 4 years old and I love it. My only issue is the warning lights come on for a few minutes when I turn the wheels sharp. This only started happening after we put a 3" lift and add bigger tires. Other than that I haven't had any issues. I drive my jeep everyday.

I used to dd my 06 LJ for work avarage about 60k km per year. I also wheeled it probably every other weekend in the summer. Before I got a Mazda (fuel economy reasons) the only things that let go not due to big tires and wheeling was the opda and the water pump. The opda dropped dead part way through the day of work so that was an issue. The water pump warned me it was going with a slow leak that I chose to hope would last the week when I noticed it Monday afternoon. It died on Friday causing a tow. Really everything else has just been maintenance or wheeling damage. (I count annual wheel bearings as wheeling damage)

Sent from my ASUS_Z012DC using Tapatalk

Reactions: Chris
My 2006 Unlimited (LJ) has 124K on the dial. I love it and lately have been driving it about 15K/year. It’s basically stock. (The most fun vehicle I’ve ever owned.) It has failed to start in my driveway twice in the last year. The first time was a dead fuel pump. Most recently a dead starter. Despite these two recent hiccups, I consider it to be extremely reliable. I’d drive it anywhere without a second thought.

Reactions: Chris
My 2006 Unlimited (LJ) has 124K on the dial. I love it and lately have been driving it about 15K/year. It’s basically stock. (The most fun vehicle I’ve ever owned.) It has failed to start in my driveway twice in the last year. The first time was a dead fuel pump. Most recently a dead starter. Despite these two recent hiccups, I consider it to be extremely reliable. I’d drive it anywhere without a second thought.

Nice! BTW, is fuel pump near the tank?

My jeep is 4 years old and I love it. My only issue is the warning lights come on for a few minutes when I turn the wheels sharp. This only started happening after we put a 3" lift and add bigger tires. Other than that I haven't had any issues. I drive my jeep everyday.
Unless you have a time machine, there is no such thing as a 4 year old TJ...

Unless you drive a JK, that is...:eek:

Reactions: jeep_boss
2004 TJ 2.4/auto/4.56s....bought new...In 110,000 miles, factory battery croaked in the first year, typical blower fan resistor popped, and towards the end of ownership the Dana 35 started a mild noise. Traded it off. Shoulda kept it. C'est la vie.
2006 TJ 4.0 w/ auto and Dana 44 rear. 3.73s. Bought used with 72K on it. 42RLE died at 101K. OPDA squealed like a pig two weeks ago. Only drove it a couple of blocks and got it back to the house, but cam still has marks on it so I hope the new Crown part doesn't chew it up worse. We'll see. (USB endoscopes rock by they way) Some minor stuff: Transfer case grommets have snapped twice and transmission linkage popped once in traffic. It helps to change it's own oil with the rear main drip.

Last edited:
My first TJ was a 1997 when the first came out in 1996. They were so new to ABQ that there were no Sports to be had. I wanted a TJ so bad I bought the only thing available, an SE. In the short time I owned it, I took that to a Jeep Jamboree in Ouray, CO, Camp Jeep in Vail, CO...on the way home from Vail, the oil pressure sending unit crapped out. That was the only trouble I ever had with it. But I only kept it for six months...couldn't stand the highway lack of getup and go. I wish I still had it, though. It could climb like a mountain goat. There's something about a 4-banger Jeep that just seems true to the WWII origins.

My first (and only) mod to it was on the way back from picking it up at the dealer, I stopped at Discount Tire for the next biggest tire size to be put on...

Reactions: KCsTJ
I have a 02 wrangler sport we bought used it now has 137k in miles and still running only parts in my owning of the vehicle to be replaced is front lower control arms by dealership don’t think old ones had any issues though engine computer cause it started to get corrosion in it tranny cause it started to go out at 105K reverse not working really and would slip gears on highway and wouldn’t want to shift out of first unless you dogged the gas pedal and only recent parts was oil pressure sensor rear U joints thermostat and water pump which failed during Harvey here in Houston also the starter has be replaced and when we bought it it has a cracked head but the 4.0 was known to blow that sometimes which was covered by the dealer ship and fixed I’m also about to replace the rear main seal and oil pan seal just I have a very very very small drip but it’s nothing serious to say most of the parts are still the factory parts and going is impressive to me