How the hell do I stop snoring?

Currently going through the same things. My wife says my snoring has increased significantly since I was in the hospital with Covid. I think she is just noticing it more since I was on oxygen at home for so long, I wasn't snoring when on oxygen due to the slight positive pressure in my airway and now the snoring is back.

Check into a sleep study. You might be surprised what is going on while you are sleeping.

Reactions: Squatch and Chris
My wife has been telling me for years that I snore, but I've stayed up to listen and haven't heard myself snoring yet, so I'm calling BS on her claims :ROFLMAO:

I used to snore really badly (allegedly:cautious:). A quality bed and head position are huge. We bought a Sleep Number a few years ago and it's made a big difference (not the one that lifts you up, but still an amazing bed). I also use one of those ergonomic pillows made of memory foam that's contoured to support your neck properly - cost like $50, made by Sealy and it's fantastic. She tells me that I still snore on rare occasion, but when I do, it's really minor.

Sounds like you have a good bed and caffeine's out of the question. I'd see if a contoured pillow helps and if not, have a sleep test done as others have pointed out. I have a buddy who checked all those boxes with no success, had a sleep test done and found out he had sleep apnea. After a getting on the right cpap system/program, says says he's not only stopped snoring but sleeps better and didn't realize how poorly he was sleeping before.

I had the same problem. Not overweight but enough snoring to cause a serious strain on our marriage. I had a sleep study done. Mild case of sleep apnea. You can try mouth pieces but a cpap will fix it. You may find that if your snoring is bad enough you'll sleep better too.

This. Do a sleep study.

Snoring could be the least of your concerns... If you have apnea (and you don't have to be overweight to have it), it's a slow and certain road to heart damage. Your heart doesn't like pumping de-oxygenated blood.

Last edited:
Yep, tell me about it. Apparently I need a sleep study done.
Get it in the works, healthcare is way behind like everything else. I have a referral request that has not been replied to in weeks trying to get an appointment. Doc says they are 3-6 months out on getting people through the process. Hope its not that bad where you are.

Get it in the works, healthcare is way behind like everything else. I have a referral request that has not been replied to in weeks trying to get an appointment. Doc says they are 3-6 months out on getting people through the process. Hope its not that bad where you are.

I need to find a place and then I'll get in the queue. How do these sleep studies work? Do I have to go sleep some place or do I take a device home with me?

I need to find a place and then I'll get in the queue. How do these sleep studies work? Do I have to go sleep some place or do I take a device home with me?
You sleep one night in the facility, its like a hotel. They monitor you and provide results and treatment.

You sleep one night in the facility, its like a hotel. They monitor you and provide results and treatment.

Gotcha! I look forward to it. The last thing I want to do is drive my wife nuts with my snoring.

Gotcha! I look forward to it. The last thing I want to do is drive my wife nuts with my snoring.
That's a great reason to do it, even better is the long term impact on your health. Even fit guys get apnea. Untreated it can really take a toll since your O2 level drops during sleep. Better to find out and take appropriate action.

That's a great reason to do it, even better is the long term impact on your health. Even fit guys get apnea. Untreated it can really take a toll since your O2 level drops during sleep. Better to find out and take appropriate action.

I absolutely agree! I'm all for taking care of my health and finding the underlying cause to things as oppose to just searching for band-aids.

Still, we'll see how that stuff @pagrey linked to works. It was only $25 so even if it doesn't work I won't feel bad.

Reactions: AMS417
I've had two of them over the years. One was just as @AMS714 mentioned, it's done in a hotel. Electrodes stuck to you and someone monitors multiple people at once (in different rooms). You may not sleep that great while you're going though it. The other one I've had was simpler. They sent a CPAP machine home for a few days and it records and adjusts then you take it back in the get the results.

The latter was through Kaiser and didn't take too long to go through the process. A couple of things to note. The first is you may get a discount on your electric bill if you send them your prescription and the second is once you've been diagnosed you should continue to use it unless you talk with your Dr about stopping it's use.

As someone who has used a C-PAP since 1996, I feel somewhat qualified to offer some advice, here. 😉

First, do the sleep study. When I had mine done, they hooked 23 electrodes to me, and told me to go to sleep. Riiiight. When I did fall asleep, they woke me up within three hours to say I my results were extremely bad.

Anything less than 92% blood oxygen saturation is considered critical. Their primary equipment would measure down to 60%. Anything lower than that, and they had a backup that would kick in. Well, my blood oxygen saturation level was at 47%!!! I was at risk if going into cardiac arrest. It was a bad situation.

I got a C-PAP machine within three hours (they expedited it). That night, I got my first full nights sleep in months. Even worked overtime that night at work. Prior to that, I would doze off while using the keyboard. In fact, I dozed off in mid-sentence while talking face to face with my boss. That’s what prompted me to get the sleep study. It was that bad.

On a side note, I would offer this advice. If you are experiencing drowsiness while driving, DO NOT ADMIT TO IT! In Washington state, the doctors are required by law to report it to the state, and they WILL pull your license until a doctor releases you as having successfully responded to the treatment. A friend told me this the day before my appointment. Sure enough, the doc’s questions started focusing on that, so I lied through my teeth. Told them I had no issues whatsoever, probably due to my taste in obnoxious music! 😉 Anyway, he bought it. The reality was that I couldn’t go ten minutes without starting to doze off behind the wheel.

Sorry this is so long, but getting the C-PAP was life-changing for me. BTW, muscle mass around the neck has the same affect as fatty tissue. It can constrict the airway. Get the test done, Chris. Nothing to lose, but a lot to gain.

As someone who has used a C-PAP since 1996, I feel somewhat qualified to offer some advice, here. 😉

First, do the sleep study. When I had mine done, they hooked 23 electrodes to me, and told me to go to sleep. Riiiight. When I did fall asleep, they woke me up within three hours to say I my results were extremely bad.

Anything less than 92% blood oxygen saturation is considered critical. Their primary equipment would measure down to 60%. Anything lower than that, and they had a backup that would kick in. Well, my blood oxygen saturation level was at 47%!!! I was at risk if going into cardiac arrest. It was a bad situation.

I got a C-PAP machine within three hours (they expedited it). That night, I got my first full nights sleep in months. Even worked overtime that night at work. Prior to that, I would doze off while using the keyboard. In fact, I dozed off in mid-sentence while talking face to face with my boss. That’s what prompted me to get the sleep study. It was that bad.

On a side note, I would offer this advice. If you are experiencing drowsiness while driving, DO NOT ADMIT TO IT! In Washington state, the doctors are required by law to report it to the state, and they WILL pull your license until a doctor releases you as having successfully responded to the treatment. A friend told me this the day before my appointment. Sure enough, the doc’s questions started focusing on that, so I lied through my teeth. Told them I had no issues whatsoever, probably due to my taste in obnoxious music! 😉 Anyway, he bought it. The reality was that I couldn’t go ten minutes without starting to doze off behind the wheel.

Sorry this is so long, but getting the C-PAP was life-changing for me. BTW, muscle mass around the neck has the same affect as fatty tissue. It can constrict the airway. Get the test done, Chris. Nothing to lose, but a lot to gain.
The interesting thing about me is that I never feel tired or lack of sleep. In fact, I sleep like a damn baby every night. I have such deep, amazing sleep that it’s almost unreal. Doesn’t mean something still couldn’t be wrong, but I can tell you I never ever feel like my quality of sleep sucked.

If you have sleep apnea they usually know during you first sleep cycle. They count the number of times you stop breathing and once you meet the threshold they stop and let you go home. Wife was done in 2 hrs.
Yes it is considered a medical device and you should inform your electric provider. I do not know about a discount but you will most likely not have your power cut off during a brown out. Also it is not counted as a carryon or luggage with the airlines. Wife always travels with hers.

Reactions: Squatch