How to bleed your brakes

When working on your TJ, it's inevitable that you'll eventually need to end up bleeding your brakes.

From personal experience, I can tell you that in invaluable tool to have when bleeding your brakes is a vacuum brake bleeder such as the Mityvac MV8000 vacuum brake bleeder.

If you happen to have one of those already, here's a great tutorial on how to use one to bleed your brakes:

So I have just replaced my rear calipers pads and rotors and I also just replaced my master cylinder and I made sure to bench bleed. But I have bled the brakes all around with the two person method but my brakes still go to the floor? Do I need to use this vacuum bleeder because I’ve heard it’s hard to get the air out of the abs lines. But when I’m bleeding the brakes there is no air coming out of the lines just fresh fluid. Also my brakes have always been really squishy and went to the floor and I wanted to fix that so I but a new master cylinder in but now they are worse. Please help lol. Thanks

So I have just replaced my rear calipers pads and rotors and I also just replaced my master cylinder and I made sure to bench bleed. But I have bled the brakes all around with the two person method but my brakes still go to the floor? Do I need to use this vacuum bleeder because I’ve heard it’s hard to get the air out of the abs lines. But when I’m bleeding the brakes there is no air coming out of the lines just fresh fluid. Also my brakes have always been really squishy and went to the floor and I wanted to fix that so I but a new master cylinder in but now they are worse. Please help lol. Thanks
Start with making sure the bleed screws are on top and report back.

Not on the bottom.
So do I have the calipers on the wrong side? And why would the matter?

5F290CC1-2DCB-4810-A7C9-E61FF922B6D3.jpeg

I was going to do front pads and rotors the next sunny day we have. The LJR is an 05 with 115k and thought it would be wise to flush the system since I don’t know the whole history. Can I just open the bleeders on the calipers starting in the rear and have my wife keep an eye on the fluid level or does she need to hop in and also depress the brake pedal?

Finally got around to this yesterday, and I'm really glad I did because the fluid was BLACK. I left the wheels on and used a bleed bottle with a check valve and magnet to get the hose angled above the screw.

I used an 8mm on the rears and a 3/4" for the fronts. I checked the FSM and don't see what size they should be, but it seems strange to have a mix of metric and SAE?

Finally got around to this yesterday, and I'm really glad I did because the fluid was BLACK. I left the wheels on and used a bleed bottle with a check valve and magnet to get the hose angled above the screw.

I used an 8mm on the rears and a 3/4" for the fronts. I checked the FSM and don't see what size they should be, but it seems strange to have a mix of metric and SAE?
Yeah someone probably replaced those calipers because This same thing happened to me when I replaced my front caliper. All of the oem bleeder values were standard but the new one was a metric size.

Reactions: RMETeeJay
Do not ever do the pump and hold method, all that does is aerate the fluid.
Open screw, pedal to the floor hard and fast, close screw, let pedal up, repeat.
Bringing back an old thread, I am a little confused specifically on the hard and fast portion. I have been under the impression from what I have read that too hard and fast could damage the master. On a side note how fast is fast in this case? Is it emergency stop fast or something closer to a car stopped a little quicker in front of you than anticipated fast?

Bringing back an old thread, I am a little confused specifically on the hard and fast portion. I have been under the impression from what I have read that too hard and fast could damage the master. On a side note how fast is fast in this case? Is it emergency stop fast or something closer to a car stopped a little quicker in front of you than anticipated fast?
Do you have to replace the master after an emergency stop?

Looks like I'm going to be in for a good time. I am replacing all the hard lines and flex lines in my '99.
Glad my wife likes working with me on projects.
Also, glad I do not have ABS to contend with!

I left my all tools and gas torch at home. I want to bleed the system but all bleeder screws are rusted and became one body with brake body. Can i just flush/bleed fluid from brake line hose as a temporal trick? I cant find any inch bleeder screw only metric.

Last edited: