How to disable emissions on a TJ without check engine lights

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Many of you have asked at one point how to remove your catalytic convertors, evap system, purge valve, etc, without getting a check engine light. Up until now many have thought it to be impossible, but this isn't true.

I had the privilege of speaking with one of the original Jeep / Chrysler software engineers today on the phone for an hour. He owns B&G Performance, and happens to be possibly the only guy in the country who can tune these PCMs fully.

One of the things he can do with is software is disable the emissions on your TJ. He can disable every emission system on the TJ which will allow you to remove all of your catalytic convertors, post-cat O2 sensors, evap system, purge valve, etc.

No more check engine lights from any of this stuff ever again, and it will run excellent according to him.

You can either send in your PCM to him using this form (mention that you want all the emissions disabled on your PCM) and he'll do it for $399, or you can buy the software from him for $599 to do it yourself (the software is locked to your VIN number though, so you can't go do it on all your friends TJs).

If you call them, ask to speak with Dave, and mention that Chris, the owner and admin of Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum sent you. Be sure to mention that, because he may hook you up with a deal. I don't stand to make a dime off of it, but I told him that I very much support what he is doing, and I'd be happy to point people his way using the forum.

B&G Performance can do more than just disable emissions as well. They can enable SKIM, take PCM from a manual transmission vehicle and turn on the automatic transmission module so that it works on an automatic. They can fully tune the fuel, timing, change when your cooling fan comes on, and edit just about every single parameter you could imagine.

Disclaimer: It is a violation of federal law to remove or tamper with an emissions system on a vehicle registered to operate on any public road. If your city has vehicle emissions testing and inspections, you will NOT pass with your emissions disabled. By disabling your emissions, you're doing it at your own risk. This post is not meant to encourage anyone to disable your emissions, it's simply to provide an option for those of us who use our vehicles for off-road driving only (which you can interpret any way you'd like).

@Jerry Bransford, I'm tagging you in this since you're a big voice in the TJ community. You should know about this guy just incase anyone ever asks.

Not a bad price for the software.

Not at all, and it does way more than just disable emissions. You have 100% control over everything. You can tune your air / fuel / timing curves and so much more.

Good information thanks Chris. I know one guy in particular you also know who may appreciate this info, I'll forward it to him.

Reactions: Chris
Good information thanks Chris. I know one guy in particular you also know who may appreciate this info, I'll forward it to him.

Good to know Jerry!

This is great for some of these dedicated off-road rigs. Being able to get rid of all that emission stuff can make life easier.

Just so everyone understands. It is a violation of federal law to remove or tamper with an emissions system on a vehicle registered to operate on any public road.

Reactions: skrelnik
Is there any legal ramification to disabling emissions systems on street licensed vehicles?

It's illegal. If you have to pass state inspections, you won't.

Fortunately where I live, there is no emissions or inspections, so I don't have to worry about it.

It's illegal. If you have to pass state inspections, you won't.

Fortunately where I live, there is no emissions or inspections, so I don't have to worry about it.

Actually you do. I know for a fact that the Oregon Highway Patrol will randomly check vehicles for emissions compliance and that dealerships and licensed repair shops are given incentives to report emission tampering violations. The fines are in the thousands not hundreds, so be careful.

In the mid to late 1980's, a Eugene, Oregon Cheveron station turned me in for putting leaded gas in my unleaded vehicle. 3 weaks later the California Highway Patrol showed up at my house, inspected my vehicle and impounded it. Before I could get it out of inpound, I needed to install a catalytic converter, pay a $500 fine to Oregon and a $500 fine to California. I'm pretty sure these were both federal fines. I'm sure that these days the laws are only stricter and the fines higher. To me, it's just not worth it.

Actually you do. I know for a fact that the Oregon Highway Patrol will randomly check vehicles for emissions compliance and that dealerships and licensed repair shops are given incentives to report emission tampering violations. The fines are in the thousands not hundreds, so be careful.

In the mid to late 1980's, a Eugene, Oregon Cheveron station turned me in for putting leaded gas in my unleaded vehicle. 3 weaks later the California Highway Patrol showed up at my house, inspected my vehicle and impounded it. Before I could get it out of inpound, I needed to install a catalytic converter, pay a $500 fine to Oregon and a $500 fine to California. I'm pretty sure these were both federal fines. I'm sure that these days the laws are only stricter and the fines higher. To me, it's just not worth it.

Possibly, but the odds of that happening are pretty much none. I've never once had it happen to me, nor have I heard of it happening to anyone in the local Jeep Groups I am part of. I've never heard of that happening to anyone actually. Maybe in the 80s when cops needed something to do, but I can tell you that in this day and age with the heavily increased amount of population and traffic, they don't have the time or resources.

Either way, I'm not encouraging people to break the law, but with a vehicle I personally don't drive all that often, I could really care less. It's less stuff for me to deal with, especially those crappy little plastic evap lines everywhere in the rear.

But if you really want to get technical, how would a cop even know you removed your emissions? If you left your cats in place, what else would they have to go off of?

Reactions: MaloStapalo
I agree , it most likely will not happen, but if it does ... oh man, look out.

Here in California the state will pay people to rat out their neighbors for any pollution violation, and Oregon is just California North now.

I personally don't care what people do. I just want those considering doing it to know it's illegal and the penalties are great.

I agree , it most likely will not happen, but if it does ... oh man, look out.

Here in California the state will pay people to rat out their neighbors for any pollution violation, and Oregon is just California North now.

Yes, I believe in California the Nazis are out to get you even if you spend too much time watering your lawn!

I personally don't care what people do. I just want those considering doing it to know it's illegal and the penalties are great.

I agree! I added a disclaimer to the original post. I most wanted people to know about this for off-road purposes anyhow. I know a lot of these built rock crawlers don't need all that stuff anyways, but until now I'm not sure anyone knew there was a way to do this.

Yes, I believe in California the Nazis are out to get you even if you spend too much time watering your lawn!

Watering lawns, What's that? Lol

I agree! I added a disclaimer to the original post. I most wanted people to know about this for off-road purposes anyhow. I know a lot of these built rock crawlers don't need all that stuff anyways, but until now I'm not sure anyone knew there was a way to do this.

It's a great solution for those vehicles for sure.

All it takes is a phone call to the DMV with a plate # and a complaint from some tree hugger in his Prius following you and you may find a surprise next time you go to register your rig for the year. I can't wait to move out of this god forsaken state! I bet this would be cool for those that want to do an AW4 trany transplant.