How to find TJ manufacture date without a door sticker?

Mousy Orla

TJ Enthusiast
How can I find my Jeep's date of manufacture if my Jeep came with no sticker in the door? Just curious is all, as I want to know everything I can about my TJ even the most useless little things like this.

There should be some numbers scribed into the frame near the front shock tower.

I work at a dealership which sells Jeep, but what is a VIS and who at my dealership would I exactly need to see?
I work as a GM technician. We use a program called Global Connect. When diagnosing certain concerns, I may need to know if a vehicle has certain RPO codes (options)
I simply plug in the last 8 digits of the VIN # and get the vehicle build. The VIS(Vehicle Inquiry System) shows me everything about the vehicle, which includes the build date, the plant the vehicle was built at, components used, and all the RPO codes. It also shows the vehicle history, open/completed recalls and numerous other info about the vehicle.
Go the service dept and ask the writer to run a VIS or a vehicle build. Every vehicle manufacturer has the capability to do this. It may be referred to by another name depending on the manufacturer.

Last edited:
Is that how much gas the dealer put in it for test drives? Or the factory? Why would they record details to that level? Strange.

There is a LOT of info buried in there.

I looked up that reference to "UP, Rolla CO" in mine. Rolla is a Union Pacific Auto Unload facility in a suburb of Denver. Useless information, but somewhat fun.

Perhaps when buying a used TJ, looking this stuff up could be useful. Knowing if the Jeep was originally a dry southwestern vehicle or salty northeastern one could tell you things.

So glad mine had 4 springs as optional equipment 😜

C82B738A-9C6E-48B3-B6D9-FCB1ABA78E6F.jpeg