How to install a subwoofer amp under steering column

Any updates?

I had to bend the L brackets in half and put it in place and then bend the brackets back up to get it on the bolts. It was super annoying but eventually i got it. I heated up the tubes and it seemed good, then I came back and i'm not sure it even did anything. I did keep the brackets bent at like a 75% angle rather than 90 so it gave me more room in the front. I did end up losing a little bit of tilt function, i can still put it all the way down but i noticed the board that i put the amp on was starting to bend. I generally like my wheel on full tilt down but i think i'm going to get seat risers so it should be fine. Either way, super happy with the turn out. Now i just need to finish upgrading by battery cables and installing my speakers and i'll be bumpin down the road!!

GY2R6ne6QGOx0leNm1IysQ.jpg

XKmIYRjETty9U3v9Qd9%qg.jpg

zL3hh5U1SDWmP13KVczc2w.jpg

VBH5yBiuQEKytp3qOmjWTA.jpg

Reactions: Akitadog
That looks good!

Thanks! went through the grommet behind the block, thought it came out pretty nice. Wires were a little close to eh break linkage but i think it'll be ok. Also said screw the fuses, and went with a breaker instead! only every blew out 2 amp fuses in like 12 years but can't hurt right? gonna put one more below it for my inverter.

6UrdeGzdTiKTHQsK%o2ECg.jpg

vbGxAfFDRYK2D9z6m+VdOw.jpg

MqWTFjSFSFSJDF3UMUXmTQ.jpg

ynCAQV1IRie1WAL%IWZP2A.jpg

Not sure if anyone is still watching this thread
I was planning on mounting a plate (probably cutting board) to the Satellite radio bracket on mine, has anyone tried that yet?

Reactions: Akitadog
I was planning on mounting a plate (probably cutting board) to the Satellite radio bracket on mine, has anyone tried that yet?
I’m not picturing what location the satellite radio bracket is. I used a plastic cutting board and I heated up the 4 bolts that the amp mounted on And counter sunk them into the cutting board. That way I could secure the amp with out needing to put tools behind it. It worked really good. I also counter sunk the bolts to the steering column so they didn’t interfere with the amp.
Add some picture as you go. I’m always excited to find new ways to squeeze more into the Jeep.

I’m not picturing what location the satellite radio bracket is. I used a plastic cutting board and I heated up the 4 bolts that the amp mounted on And counter sunk them into the cutting board. That way I could secure the amp with out needing to put tools behind it. It worked really good. I also counter sunk the bolts to the steering column so they didn’t interfere with the amp.
Add some picture as you go. I’m always excited to find new ways to squeeze more into the Jeep.

The Sat radio bracket attaches to the lower dash frame and drops down over the top of the A/C duct then comes back under A/C duct to the lower dash frame

The Sat radio bracket attaches to the lower dash frame and drops down over the top of the A/C duct then comes back under A/C duct to the lower dash frame
a picture is worth a million words my man. i don’t have satellite radio. just mind your spacing and make sure it has enough room to breathe.

that is brilliant i must say

I'm looking to upgrade my TJ sound and saw your write up and plan to copy it. I'm curious to know if you've had any issues/updates since you did your install last year?
Thanks

I’ve got a 02 TJ and I purchased the Kicker compt 6.75” 300wt peak 150 rms 2ohm sub, but what amp size works best with that sub? I’m just replacing the factory sub using the center console location, I need a smaller amp that won’t under perform or over whelm the subwoofer. The oem factory sub and amp bit the dust. I’m new to the audio wiring game so any good advice is much appreciated.

I’ve got a 02 TJ and I purchased the Kicker compt 6.75” 300wt peak 150 rms 2ohm sub, but what amp size works best with that sub? I’m just replacing the factory sub using the center console location, I need a smaller amp that won’t under perform or over whelm the subwoofer. The oem factory sub and amp bit the dust. I’m new to the audio wiring game so any good advice is much appreciated.

Depends on if you want a mono-channel amp to run just the sub, or if you want a 5-channel amp that can run the sub and all 4 speakers.