How to install a subwoofer amp under steering column

The Amazon link to the amp used in the write up isn’t working for me... does anyone know what model was used or what the largest size that will work in the steering column?

The Amazon link to the amp used in the write up isn’t working for me... does anyone know what model was used or what the largest size that will work in the steering column?
Kicker 42PXA2001 200W x 1 Moto/Marine Amplifier https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UG7AK66/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Try that link. Mine is working great. I made a bracket out of a cutting board and zip tied it to the air vent under the steering column.

Last edited:
This is a great way to install, and I did it similar to you but I splurged and spent $9 on a picture hanging kit with brackets, and I used the wire rope as a fail-safe to the brackets. My board was a 7" wide so it fit lower/closer to that air vent and then put velcro tape on the air vent to connect to the board?

I couldn't be happier with this method.

Great video by @Kedzie

I know this is old, but do you have a pic of what you did? I liked what @GaTechTJ did, but was worried about the board vibrating against the AC duct on the bottom. You put velcro tape on there and it stays put alright?

I know this is old, but do you have a pic of what you did? I liked what @GaTechTJ did, but was worried about the board vibrating against the AC duct on the bottom. You put velcro tape on there and it stays put alright?

The double sided velcro tape does a good job on that front part, but you must still secure the board in the back. I do not have a picture at this moment, but you can secure the rear of the board well enough such that the double sided velcro tape is effective on the front of the board. No vibration whatsoever.

Reactions: SSTJ
Here is the bracket I built to mount my Soundstream Picasso Nano. It bolts to the steering shaft mount under the dash. If you are interested, there is a write-up on how I did it over on my build thread, starting on post #1,087.

Jeep - Stereo Amp - 1-16-2022 (20).JPG

This is how I installed my Kicker amp under the steering column of my 2005 Wrangler X. I used an 8 gauge wiring kit and a 2-ohm DVC Kicker sub wired in parallel for 1 ohm for 400 RMS into the sub.

I created a mount using a cutting board. I trimmed it to size and drilled the mounting holes for the amp. I also drilled a hole in the center of the cutting board to mount it to an existing hole in the steering column.

View attachment 133965

I then screwed in the amp onto the cutting board using little nylon spacers so it would clear the bolt.

View attachment 133967

I zip-tied the long RCA cables, which I couldn't cut directly to length, to the steering column.

View attachment 133969

I mounted the fuse onto an existing bracket right next to the battery. I found a #8 bolt fits perfectly into the existing bracket.

View attachment 133968

To go through the firewall I used an existing hole normally used for the automatic transmission. I have a manual so it is just a plugged up hole in the firewall. I drilled a hole in the plug for the cable. A replacement part can be bought for about $8; part #2424864.

View attachment 133970

Here is the same plug (now a grommet) from the inside.

View attachment 133972

And that's it! The amp is grounded to an existing bolt on the right side of the driver's side floorboard; next to the center console. Here is a YouTube video:

I’m looking for the best place to ground the amp. Do you have a picture of this bolt? Was it under the carpet?

If anyone else has advice on an easy nearby grounding spot, let me know. I’m looking around but nothing jumps out at me. Would rather not drill a new hole in the firewall if not necessary.

This is how I installed my Kicker amp under the steering column of my 2005 Wrangler X. I used an 8 gauge wiring kit and a 2-ohm DVC Kicker sub wired in parallel for 1 ohm for 400 RMS into the sub.

I created a mount using a cutting board. I trimmed it to size and drilled the mounting holes for the amp. I also drilled a hole in the center of the cutting board to mount it to an existing hole in the steering column.

View attachment 133965

I then screwed in the amp onto the cutting board using little nylon spacers so it would clear the bolt.

View attachment 133967

I zip-tied the long RCA cables, which I couldn't cut directly to length, to the steering column.

View attachment 133969

I mounted the fuse onto an existing bracket right next to the battery. I found a #8 bolt fits perfectly into the existing bracket.

View attachment 133968

To go through the firewall I used an existing hole normally used for the automatic transmission. I have a manual so it is just a plugged up hole in the firewall. I drilled a hole in the plug for the cable. A replacement part can be bought for about $8; part #2424864.

View attachment 133970

Here is the same plug (now a grommet) from the inside.

View attachment 133972

And that's it! The amp is grounded to an existing bolt on the right side of the driver's side floorboard; next to the center console. Here is a YouTube video:

Curious how this installation has held up. Everywhere I check (including instruction manuals and manufacturer websites) say not to install an amp upside down for reasons that should be obvious: they're designed so that they can cool as heat rises away from them. Putting them upside down instead puts all the internal components in the expected path for heat to escape. Couple that with being placed right above a floor heating vent, and it seems like a recipe for trouble.

Has it given you any problems?

Curious how this installation has held up. Everywhere I check (including instruction manuals and manufacturer websites) say not to install an amp upside down for reasons that should be obvious: they're designed so that they can cool as heat rises away from them. Putting them upside down instead puts all the internal components in the expected path for heat to escape. Couple that with being placed right above a floor heating vent, and it seems like a recipe for trouble.

Has it given you any problems?

I'm only one year in, but mine is holding up fine. My amp is right-side-up, on a cutting board secured to the steering column. A pic is here. I know that several others on here have taken this approach.

Reactions: skrelnik
I'm only one year in, but mine is holding up fine. My amp is right-side-up, on a cutting board secured to the steering column. A pic is here. I know that several others on here have taken this approach.

Mine has held up with no issues since January of 2020. My amp is installed right side up on a cutting board as well.

Reactions: skrelnik and SSTJ
I have an Alpine PDX6 mounted upside down in this location. This amp is so efficient it has no fins, and they can be stacked if needed.
Now mine is mounted to a 1/4" thk, aluminum plate, which might contribute to cooling...