How to install gears in your TJ

This is a great write up. I've been thinking more and more about doing my own gears. Mostly because I don't know any shops around me that are trustworthy, or the one shop I've heard (tentative) decent things about doesn't allow customer furnished parts, only they're vender (Yukon).
I wouldn’t be concerned about the Yukon gears. QC hasn’t been what it was in the past, but if the shop supplies the gears and something goes wrong, there is good leverage for getting them fixed.

I wouldn’t be concerned about the Yukon gears. QC hasn’t been what it was in the past, but if the shop supplies the gears and something goes wrong, there is good leverage for getting them fixed.
i thought that as well, but reading the reviews online, there are a lot of people complaining about them trying to weasel out of warranties.. sometimes successfully.

We had so few issues with gear sets that I don't even recall one, even though that was a looong time ago. There are only a couple cutting facilities that cut most gear sets. The installer is more important than the name on the box.

This is a phenomenal write up. I started with an empty high pinion Dana 30 housing, sourced carrier and clamps from other ruined housings, and new gears. The first attempt looked NOTHING like it was in the ballpark. A couple of disassembly/assembly cycles and some detailed shim tracking and it's getting pretty close 🙂

Never done gears before but I'm glad I jumped in. Thanks for the phenomenal write-up!

15923464368297213511726418104170.jpg

15923464750075114680862302982920.jpg

This is a phenomenal write up. I started with an empty high pinion Dana 30 housing, sourced carrier and clamps from other ruined housings, and new gears. The first attempt looked NOTHING like it was in the ballpark. A couple of disassembly/assembly cycles and some detailed shim tracking and it's getting pretty close 🙂

Never done gears before but I'm glad I jumped in. Thanks for the phenomenal write-up!

View attachment 170302

View attachment 170303
What's wrong with this pattern? Genuine question here just trying to learn about gears.

What's wrong with this pattern? Genuine question here just trying to learn about gears.
The sharp cutoff on the top side indicates that the pinion depth isn't quite right. Using what little knowledge I have on gears. Its darn close to being correct though.