How to re-key half-door lock cylinders

Same as many...wanting to key my half-door locks to my original jeep TJ keys. Is there a way to Re-key the lock WITHOUT removing one of the original lock cylinders? By using the key itself and working backwards to figure out the tumbler/wafer sequence? OR is there anywhere on the vehicle that tells you the tumbler/wafer code?
thanks
j
Yes you can do it working backwards with a key but is very hard and time consuming as I’ve done this in the past but with rekeying house locks when I worked at Home Depot, much easier to pull a cylinder and write it down somewhere for future reference.

This is a very good write up..!!

The only thing different that I'm going to do is to disconnect my interior lock toggle on the half doors so you can only lock and unlock them with the key.
My thought behind this is not to make it any more difficult to break in per say, but to make it much more difficult if not impossible to steal the doors. So even with the top and upper door windows off you won't be able to just reach in and unlock the doors without the key.
As far as people wondering about being able to lock them while driving/riding in it.......Really... the're half doors. So I don't see a reason to need to lock them from the inside. (Full doors, different story)

So again, a very good write up sir, well done.
Mcgard makes locks for the doors too

Sorry to revive an old thread. I have a 2006 Wrangler and recently purchased the earlier half doors for it. The doors came with everything except for the flat lever and plastic clips that connects the lock barrel to the actuator rod. The same lever on my full doors is more Z shaped than flat. I have had no luck finding these flat ones online or in local wreckers. Can anyone advise if the Z shaped ones will also work in half doors?

Sorry to revive an old thread. I have a 2006 Wrangler and recently purchased the earlier half doors for it. The doors came with everything except for the flat lever and plastic clips that connects the lock barrel to the actuator rod. The same lever on my full doors is more Z shaped than flat. I have had no luck finding these flat ones online or in local wreckers. Can anyone advise if the Z shaped ones will also work in half doors?
You could check with https://daveysjeeps.com/
They are usually parting out several vehicles.

Great post!! Thanks so much, and in I am like the early posts, in taking the rod off also. These doors have become a gold brick and I am scared to park mine for just a moment at the lake as I bet money they will walk away. Again, THANKS

Reactions: Viking Jeeper
Same as many...wanting to key my half-door locks to my original jeep TJ keys. Is there a way to Re-key the lock WITHOUT removing one of the original lock cylinders? By using the key itself and working backwards to figure out the tumbler/wafer sequence? OR is there anywhere on the vehicle that tells you the tumbler/wafer code?
thanks
j
That's not possible for sure but if there is a way to do that then it must be known to those experts who offer 24 hour emergency locksmith services.

There are tools that do this, but they are usually vehicle specific. I have not seen one for a jeep.

thanks
j
Yes. I just did this today. Same situation. Have key for full doors. Keyed half to match.

Use your key to ensure the wafers you insert into each position are flush. I started at the back of the key, inserted wafer 1. Wasn’t flush. 2, etc.

If you’re asking how to do without taking the half door cylinders out that’s not possible.

I have 2004 half doors and was able to get the large trim caps from the ebay seller that MountaineerTom listed. I just asked him if he could include two with my order and he charged me a couple bucks for them. They were good quality as well.

If the ebay seller is the one selling the wafer kit, that link is no longer active. I hope he's still around and it's just the listing outdated, because I also need the larger trim rings.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
If the ebay seller is the one selling the wafer kit, that link is no longer active. I hope he's still around and it's just the listing outdated, because I also need the larger trim rings.

I had a conversation with him when I purchased the wafer kit. Let me see if I can find any info that will be useful.

Here's his eBay store:
https://www.ebay.com/str/wolfsecurityhardware?_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2563

Here's the tumbler kit:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1432384844...d=link&campid=5337789113&toolid=20001&mkevt=1
Contact him for anything you need and he'll let you know if he has it or can get it.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Reactions: flyinfish
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
I did not see this thread till today but ran across one on You Tube last night . While I had the cylinders out getting the doors repainted I said what the hell go for it . I used the existing tumblers. I just did one at a time stuck the key in , made sure the tumbler went down flush if not swap it for another . I was able to use 5 of the seven tumblers untouched in no time . The 6th and 7th I used a Dremel to trim a hair off to make it end up flush so all 7 are back in . Sounds time consuming but went surprisingly quick . I had to order two new covers naturally , size wise they match my OE 99 full doors. Morris Jeep had them in stock Naturally living in Jersey I can have them in a day from Quadratec but out of stock there. . I did a set of half doors in the past and did't have any tumblers in it. Im not usually out of eye sight from the Jeep and it sleeps i the garage anyway . shop for the caps as the same brand at some places were 3 times as much , World has gone crazy.

I did not see this thread till today but ran across one on You Tube last night . While I had the cylinders out getting the doors repainted I said what the hell go for it . I used the existing tumblers. I just did one at a time stuck the key in , made sure the tumbler went down flush if not swap it for another . I was able to use 5 of the seven tumblers untouched in no time . The 6th and 7th I used a Dremel to trim a hair off to make it end up flush so all 7 are back in . Sounds time consuming but went surprisingly quick . I had to order two new covers naturally , size wise they match my OE 99 full doors. Morris Jeep had them in stock Naturally living in Jersey I can have them in a day from Quadratec but out of stock there. . I did a set of half doors in the past and did't have any tumblers in it. Im not usually out of eye sight from the Jeep and it sleeps i the garage anyway . shop for the caps as the same brand at some places were 3 times as much , World has gone crazy.

This is what I did,and bought 2 new face caps from a lock shop

Here's his eBay store:
https://www.ebay.com/str/wolfsecurityhardware?_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2563

Here's the tumbler kit:
[URL]https://www.ebay.com/itm/14323...d=link&campid=5337789113&toolid=20001&mkevt=1[/URL]

Contact him for anything you need and he'll let you know if he has it or can get it.

This is one thing that I never understood with Chrysler, you sell the lock cylinder but don't include the tumblers or springs in the kit.
Almost every other vehicle manufacturer includes the tumblers, springs, body gasket and face caps.

This is one thing that I never understood with Chrysler, you sell the lock cylinder but don't include the tumblers or springs in the kit.
Almost every other vehicle manufacturer includes the tumblers, springs, body gasket and face caps.

I'm with you!