How to replace cracked rubber grease boots?

2001 Wrangler TJ - while assisting in installing a new lift kit, I saw a few of the rubber boots that get grease (sorry, non-mechanic here) were cracked and don't hold grease. This affects the steering and makes the jeep have a high pitch whine at 35 - 40 mph. I put grease in then realized some are cracked and greased leaked out onto my driveway and street.
How do I replace these? (and what is the proper terminology for these?? )

If you’re referring to the boots on the tie-rod ends and drag link, you’ll need new tie-rod ends.

However, the noise you’re describing has nothing to do whatsoever with those boots on the steering. That would be something else entirely. Likely a bad u-joint or unit bearing.

I believe Daystar offers these boots, not sure the fit and quality for sure but I’ve used them quite a few years ago on an old CJ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tell us more about your Jeep. Lift, tires, gears, lockers? Post some pictures of the “fittings you greased that the grease leaked out of” Did the grease get rid of the noise?

Tell us more about your Jeep. Lift, tires, gears, lockers? Post some pictures of the “fittings you greased that the grease leaked out of” Did the grease get rid of the noise?
I will post the pictures tomorrow when I have daylight. The grease did get rid of the noise and I recall using the grease gun and having 5 locations in the front of the jeep. 3.5" Metalcloak short arm long travel lift. Tires are 235/75 R15 but plan is to put 33" 10.5 on it. I am going to put the SYE/CV on 11/18. All gears and lockers are stock. I am doing this as a project with my 14 yr old so following Chris's thoughts from a few years ago to get the lift in first and then do some other things.
This jeep was in a wreck and salvaged. It passed inspection but I am not sure what was all changed as I am not mechanical and this is my first project vehicle ever.

Hey Russell -

I ran into the same issue a couple of weeks ago. I noticed 3 of my 15 year old rubber boots were starting to tear and weren't holding grease.

I searched high and low for a OE quality/factory fit grease boot. Boots from the factory are press sealed onto the end link and hold grease exceptionally well. Unfortunatly, any aftermarkets I've found won't hold quite as tight of a seal.

I pulled the trigger on a few sets of of the Energy Suspension poly dust/grease boots https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CN7B5C/?tag=wranglerorg-20

They are very easy to install (see video) and they work much better at holding grease than my old, failed boots did.

As mentioned previously, these boots aren't as "tight" as the OE press sealed boots that came on the end links from the factory. They DO hold grease and form a water tight seal, but it is much easier to overfill these boots pushing grease out the bottom.

At $3.50/set, it's absolutely worth the gamble before buying new end links. So far, mine have been working great.

I never worried about mine, I just pump them full of grease more often than not until I replaced the ends and then finally the entire steering setup with a currie.

Reactions: Daryl
Hey Russell -

I ran into the same issue a couple of weeks ago. I noticed 3 of my 15 year old rubber boots were starting to tear and weren't holding grease.

I searched high and low for a OE quality/factory fit grease boot. Boots from the factory are press sealed onto the end link and hold grease exceptionally well. Unfortunatly, any aftermarkets I've found won't hold quite as tight of a seal.

I pulled the trigger on a few sets of of the Energy Suspension poly dust/grease boots https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CN7B5C/?tag=wranglerorg-20

They are very easy to install (see video) and they work much better at holding grease than my old, failed boots did.

As mentioned previously, these boots aren't as "tight" as the OE press sealed boots that came on the end links from the factory. They DO hold grease and form a water tight seal, but it is much easier to overfill these boots pushing grease out the bottom.

At $3.50/set, it's absolutely worth the gamble before buying new end links. So far, mine have been working great.
this is Perfect. Thank you for the recommendation, link and video. See you on the trails.. :)

Reactions: ShredAZ
this is Perfect. Thank you for the recommendation, link and video. See you on the trails.. :)
Glad I could help! I bought a few extras just in case. I'm glad I did too. Once I started looking over the joints closely, I found a few other boots that were torn.

Whatever you do, don't hit the the thread of the end links. Give a few good whacks to side of the steering linkage with a heavy hammer to drop them (like in the video). Super easy.

Let us know if you have any questions!

I will post the pictures tomorrow when I have daylight. The grease did get rid of the noise and I recall using the grease gun and having 5 locations in the front of the jeep. 3.5" Metalcloak short arm long travel lift. Tires are 235/75 R15 but plan is to put 33" 10.5 on it. I am going to put the SYE/CV on 11/18. All gears and lockers are stock. I am doing this as a project with my 14 yr old so following Chris's thoughts from a few years ago to get the lift in first and then do some other things.
This jeep was in a wreck and salvaged. It passed inspection but I am not sure what was all changed as I am not mechanical and this is my first project vehicle ever.
Before with stock lift and tires, After with Metalcloak 3.5" lift with BF Goodrich AT 33" tires.
Jeep TJ no lift.JPG
Jeep TJ with Lift.JPG

Reactions: ShredAZ and b0xcar
The jeep looks great, Russel!

Also just realized you're an AZ guy... if you need any help with the end link boots, don't hesitate to reach out.