How to sound deaden the interior of your TJ

I'll let you know if it's any good. I just followed your link and ordered some. It's just the thing to cover up some ugly wires on the drivers side.

I'll let you know if it's any good. I just followed your link and ordered some. It's just the thing to cover up some ugly wires on the drivers side.
I installed these this week. I like it. Fit is pretty good and it covers the noico on the side panels. Also some wires with the help of the trim piece from eBay. Some before and after pics.
20200223_120952.jpg
20200304_001335.jpg
20200304_000314.jpg
20200304_000429.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Nickgsjeep
Did you guys use any spray adhesive to keep the carpet down? I'm using ACC thick pile carpet. And I'm sure it's going to need to be trimmed along the top lines of the carpet. And probably fit loosely on top of the sound deadener and the heat shield padding I am going to use. (Probably same thickness as your 170mm layer.)

I was wondering if one of the 3m spray adhesives was strong enough to keep the carpet down. But light enough that you could pull the carpet up if need be. Like a halfway shitty adhesive? ;) Your carpet is probably not sliding around due to the use of 170mm rubbery surfaces layer. Mine is like a foil over insulation type stuff. Like that foil insulation at HD. But better. I'm assuming my carpet is going to slide around on it a bit. Floor mats will probably help keep it in place. But was considering using a 3m adhesive between the carpet and the foil layer.

IDK. Maybe if I just spray it lightly and only in small places to tack it down. It might come up easier if I ever have to pull the carpet up. I don't know which 3m is the easiest to pull up. Maybe the General Purpose one?
I have the acc carpet as well + the rocker guards. I did the whole tub with the noico 80 then with the 150 or whatever closed cell foam. My carpet fits great and hasn’t moved at all. I documented it all in my build thread.

Reactions: motomick76
I have the acc carpet as well + the rocker guards. I did the whole tub with the noico 80 then with the 150 or whatever closed cell foam. My carpet fits great and hasn’t moved at all. I documented it all in my build thread.

That's really good to know. I just have to get the time to do it. I would like to do it in one day with help (Son, Friends etc). Or two days by myself. I also want to paint all the seatbelt plastic trim pieces. And anything else I come across. I also have new roll bar pads and covers to put on. Which means I have to take the old ones off. Which means more work than just the two layers of sound deadening. It's like one thing leads to another, which leads to another, which...

That's really good to know. I just have to get the time to do it. I would like to do it in one day with help (Son, Friends etc). Or two days by myself. I also want to paint all the seatbelt plastic trim pieces. And anything else I come across. I also have new roll bar pads and covers to put on. Which means I have to take the old ones off. Which means more work than just the two layers of sound deadening. It's like one thing leads to another, which leads to another, which...
I can relate. I did it by myself stopping in the evening and it took about 3 days. But I’m a neurotic perfectionist.

@mots I just joined this forum and really enjoyed this write up. It’s been a while since you did this so, how is it holding up now? Still using it, still love it?
I just got a 99 TJ a couple weeks ago that I’m still going through but this is definitely something I want to revisit!

I started on the passenger side and am working my way over. Was easier than I expected. The first 2 pieces I tried to line up the seams but this stuff is so thin it was better to overlap the seams. Goes pretty fast until you get to the little parts like around the jack mount, I think the driver side will be easier.

soundproof.JPG

Reactions: Steel City 06
Products like Noico 80 and Dynamat Xtreme, while they are butyl rubber with a foil layer, they are still not touted as waterproof, heatproof, or oil resistant. It is recommended to install another layer or liner on top that adds the particular type protection you need. In the Dynamat World, they are several choices (DynaPad, Dynaliner, DynaDeck etc.) to meet these needs. There are many other cheeper competing products as well that can do this job.

That said, for typical automotive usage, I wouldn't worry about water issues with the Noice. I have the full stock carpet and deep well mats on top of that just in case of an accident. But, for a Jeep that has the tub washed out with a garden hose, the risk would somehow be getting water into a sound mat seam and having it seep down onto the tub surface where it could get trapped and not evaporate quickly. It would be wise to just install a permanent (or semi permanent) waterproof layer on top to protect your sound deadening layer, if you wanted to try something like this.

For me, if I was mainly off-roading and not using as a DD, then the Bedrug liner or DynaPad looks attractive. However, with just the liner, you wouldn't achieve the same level and quality of sound deadening as with the professional quality butyl sound deadening mats.

Cool, thanks! I would like to know how the black Noico 80 works out if someone installs it. One reviewer said the black coating was coming off on their hands, so that was the only reason I opted for the silver stuff. The black would no doubt be better for spots where you can still see a bit of it peaking through. I'm considering installing some liner or velcro carpet pieces in two spots because of this (for a LHD Jeep, this is to the left of the drivers feet and to the right of passengers feet where the carpet does not go all the way up the side of the Jeep ). That said, it really doesn't bug me too much, it would just be a nice finishing touch.

I'm in the process of installing the black Noico 80 material in my TJ and would like to report the black coating is holding up with only a few small spots where the coating has come off. I'm not sure how it will hold up over time but I don't think it will be a problem for areas that don't have heavy use (i.e. foot pressure). I look forward to getting a before and after but since i'm running with the top off the difference might not be as noticeable.

I just installed some sound deadening material and heat barrier. I was looking to kill some road noise and keep my feet from getting to hot in the summer with top down.
I found this material at a local speed shop. It is about 1/4" thick and has a material layered with a foil on top. I had purchased two rolls and was just enough to cover the entire floor. For whatever reason one roll was foiled on two sides. I used a 3m adhesive that worked great. So far with soft top up it sounds as quiet as if I had hard top on.
61073463954__40BA4774-3064-43C4-8AC1-7802EE63810D.JPG
IMG_2596.jpg

IMG_2588.jpg
IMG_2589.jpg
IMG_2597.jpg
IMG_2599.jpg
IMG_2601.jpg
IMG_2602.jpg
IMG_2603.jpg

Reactions: skrelnik
I am so tempted to do this. Only reason whats holding me back is the fact that this is glued to the tub so if ever it was to come up it would be a nightmare.

I also wish I could see a before and after noise wise how much of a difference it makes. I find my LJ with the Hard Top on it quite but there is cabin noise from the engine roaring etc. the entire jeep just sounds RAW if thats a way to put it.

With the top down its almost quiet as there is nothing to bounce the sound around if you sound fanatics know what I mean?

I just finished the front area and put the bedrug over it. Haven't had a chance to drive it yet but can't imagine it won't make a big difference. The bedrug seems nice but the fitment is not as good as I was expecting. Installing the noico was much easier than I was expecting, it molds to the floor pretty well before the backing is removed and then lays easily with some care and forethought

Hmm... reading the reviews of the Noico product I'm not sure it will be appropriate for Arizona. The product can melt in high temperatures and will also release asphalt odors. A car's interior can get over 125 down here in the summer. Looks like I'll have to save up for the Dynamat as it appears to not have that issue.

I'm in Mesa. I am using it with no problems at all. There is no smell, it doesn't melt or run, even if left in direct sunlight on the hottest days. I also used it to improve the seal on my (black) hardtop where it meets the windshield. That area is too hot to touch all day. It hasn't moved. So give it a try.

I'm in Mesa. I am using it with no problems at all. There is no smell, it doesn't melt or run, even if left in direct sunlight on the hottest days. I also used it to improve the seal on my (black) hardtop where it meets the windshield. That area is too hot to touch all day. It hasn't moved. So give it a try.

I may, but if you read the MSDS it begins to off gas around 130 degrees. That's easily achieved inside a car here in July. You might not be able to smell it but it's there.

Last edited:
I may, but if you read the MDS it begins to off gas around 130 degrees. That's easily achieved inside a car here in July. You might not be able to smell it but it's there.

Yeah, Dynomat or Soundskins are the brands you want in your neck of the woods. No need to play games, but get the correct trim level. Good comparison here.

https://soundproofwiz.com/soundskins-vs-dynamat/

Yeah, Dynomat or Soundskins are the brands you want in your neck of the woods. No need to play games, but get the correct trim level. Good comparison here.

https://soundproofwiz.com/soundskins-vs-dynamat/
Yeah, I read a review noting that Noico was made of a different compound of rubber so I asked the customer service for the MDS. It's basically asphalt and as such can have different heat properties. Their product is less stable above 125-130. I'm still waiting for Dynomat to send the MSDS

I wonder what it says about second skin and others that are direct competitors of dynamat. There are alot of better sound deadeners than noico. That compete directly with dynamat. At a fraction of the cost. Dynamat is sorely overpriced.

I can relate. I did it by myself stopping in the evening and it took about 3 days. But I’m a neurotic perfectionist.
When I did mine this winter, I thought I was out of my mind taking three days, glad I am not alone. This was some of the best things I have done to mine. Made a huge difference in overall comfort.

I used Dynamatt, and I am quite happy with it. but up here in the PNW we don't have quite the temp issues :)

Previously in this thread someone asked if Line-X could be sprayed over the top of this to form the waterproof layer and the answer was no, why not? Line-X is very durable and does not tear, it is flexible and can conform to changing shapes (ie, if you step on the sound deadening in the footwell and it compresses slightly), to my knowledge (admittedly very limited) it adheres to anything you spray it on..... would it be counter productive to the sound deadening?