How to verify if a TJ is a Rubicon

Sometimes it takes all the effort we can muster to deal with someone who is being unreasonable. Still, in the end, if the little rig is likely a decent buy, it would be in your best interest to earn the seller's trust. Showing him that you have the resources to purchase, and you're not just a dreamer or a tire-kicker, will usually go a long way toward making the sale happen. However, if you have any reason to believe that the seller has something to hide regarding the Jeep's condition, I'd walk.
I have no reason to believe this gentleman is trying to hide something from me, his reason for not wanting to keep it was he didn’t want to have to hassle with driving stick anymore. He’s had the Jeep for 2-3 years, never used the 4x4, and hasn’t had any problems with it until the squeaking he said started 2-3 weeks ago. I made my approach about the inspection as respectfully and caustious as I could. The gentleman’s initial response was no because he said his wife wouldn’t feel right about having to go through it. But he wasn’t opposed to taking it to a shop the HE wanted to, which I’m perfectly fine with. I just want to be aware of what I’m totally getting myself into.
So what kind of cost are we looking at for repairs for either U-Joints or the Centering ball on the front drive shaft? Ball parks will work, $500/$1000/1500?

The corrosion on the mirror bracket of that red Jeep tells me that it might not be 100% rust free. Wouldn't expect to see that on a Jeep that hasn't been in the salt before. I'd inspect the inside of the frame before I made any firm offer on that Jeep. Everything else seems straight from what I could tell. If everything checks out, I wouldn't be afraid to buy the Jeep as long you can get a mechanic to look it over eventually.

Last edited:
I have no reason to believe this gentleman is trying to hide something from me, his reason for not wanting to keep it was he didn’t want to have to hassle with driving stick anymore. He’s had the Jeep for 2-3 years, never used the 4x4, and hasn’t had any problems with it until the squeaking he said started 2-3 weeks ago. I made my approach about the inspection as respectfully and caustious as I could. The gentleman’s initial response was no because he said his wife wouldn’t feel right about having to go through it. But he wasn’t opposed to taking it to a shop the HE wanted to, which I’m perfectly fine with. I just want to be aware of what I’m totally getting myself into.
So what kind of cost are we looking at for repairs for either U-Joints or the Centering ball on the front drive shaft? Ball parks will work, $500/$1000/1500?
Couldn't tell you on the cost of repairs, as I typically do my own work. And I haven't needed to do a set of U-joints in quite a few years. I think that on this forum however, the general consensus is to use Spicer joints, and not some cheap unit.

The corrosion on the mirror bracket of that red tells me that it might not be 100% rust free. Wouldn't expect to see that on a Jeep that hasn't been in the salt before. I'd inspect the inside of the frame before I made any firm offer on that Jeep. Everything else seems straight from what I could tell. If everything checks out, I wouldn't be afraid to buy the Jeep as long you can get a mechanic to look it over eventually.
Good advice on checking the frame for rust. Regardless of where the Jeep resides now, it may have done some time in an area that is known for salting the roads, or some such thing. Or along the coast, somewhere. Make checking for frame rust a top priority.

I guess that tripling the estimated cost of repair from your reputable shop placed it squarely in the range of what the dealership would charge for the same repair, huh? LOL Otherwise, I'd feel guilty about inflating the number that much, and just couldn't do it.
Stealerships never play fair, my old man taught me the ways of swindling used car salesmen. But I can’t really bring myself to doing that to an individual, dealerships are a different story. Sorry, hopefully none of you are used car sales men...

Reactions: Squatch
Good advice on checking the frame for rust. Regardless of where the Jeep resides now, it may have done some time in an area that is known for salting the roads, or some such thing. Or along the coast, somewhere. Make checking for frame rust a top priority.
Rust on the frame was not an issue for this Jeep

Rust on the frame was not an issue for this Jeep

Did you check the inside of the frame? Might not be on the outside, but the inside is really what counts. Never hurts to check. A Jeep can spend a year in the salt. If it never gets washed out, then the inside of the frame can rot away for years, with no other clues.

Last edited:
Did you check the inside of the frame? Might not be on the outside, but the inside is really what counts. Never hurts to check. A Jeep can spend a year in the salt. If it never gets washed out, then the inside of the frame can rot away for years, with no other clues.
I didn’t mean to sound so cocky, my apologies. “Foot enter mouth”. It will definitely require another set of eyes going over it before I can confirm the rust issues. Again, I apologize if i offended anyone with my “frame rust not an issue here” comment

I didn’t mean to sound so cocky, my apologies. “Foot enter mouth”. It will definitely require another set of eyes going over it before I can confirm the rust issues. Again, I apologize if i offended anyone with my “frame rust not an issue here” comment

No no! I wasn't offended at all! Hope I didn't come across that way. I'm just dealing with frame rot on my Jeep so I know the hassle. Don't want anyone else to go through that lol.

No offense taken, I'm sure. I think everyone's wanting to make sure all the bases are covered so you get the best Jeep for your $$.

No offense taken, I'm sure. I think everyone's wanting to make sure all the bases are covered so you get the best Jeep for your $$.
Which is exactly why I sought for and found a forum just like this. I know with this amount input and guidance, I am sure I’ll be pleased with the end results. Thank you all again for your input and friendly conversations.

Personally, I'd walk away from this one.
He lied and tried to tell you it was a Rubicon, someone like that could be hiding other things.

To @SteamRollin : The seller's refusal to allow you to have his jeep inspected by a mechanic of your choice is a huge red flag. So is his lame excuse that his wife won't like it. Don't be fooled by the shiny red paint - there is nothing special about that jeep. Walk away and don't look back.

_________
P.S. - Be careful. Whatever you do, don't take shortcuts with the pre-purchase professional inspection by a mechanic you trust and who answers only to you. I detect the distinctive odor of money starting to burn a hole in one of your pockets.

Yeah, I'd be careful if the seller didn't want to let you take it to a mechanic of YOUR choice. That is important. You don't know what "arrangement" he has made with a mechanic of HIS choice. Always assume the worst...its YOUR money.

To @SteamRollin : The seller's refusal to allow you to have his jeep inspected by a mechanic of your choice is a huge red flag. So is his lame excuse that his wife won't like it. Don't be fooled by the shiny red paint - there is nothing special about that jeep. Walk away and don't look back.

_________
P.S. - Be careful. Whatever you do, don't take shortcuts with the pre-purchase professional inspection by a mechanic you trust and who answers only to you. I detect the distinctive odor of money starting to burn a hole in one of your pockets.
Yeah, I'd be careful if the seller didn't want to let you take it to a mechanic of YOUR choice. That is important. You don't know what "arrangement" he has made with a mechanic of HIS choice. Always assume the worst...its YOUR money.
^ this, if his wife won't feel good about it, she doesn't have to know. Tell her it's going to his mechanic and take it to yours. If he doesn't want to deal with a mechanic who amswers to you, walk away, something is fishy. Just show hi you have the resources to be serious about buying but it has to be your mechanic. There's lots of jeeps out there, it's not like you are hunting for a loaded LJ Rubicon, automatic, with low mileage. ;)

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

^ this, if his wife won't feel good about it, she doesn't have to know. Tell her it's going to his mechanic and take it to yours. If he doesn't want to deal with a mechanic who amswers to you, walk away, something is fishy. Just show hi you have the resources to be serious about buying but it has to be your mechanic. There's lots of jeeps out there, it's not like you are hunting for a loaded LJ Rubicon, automatic, with low mileage. ;)

I didn’t realize how rare those were until you pointed that out... I guess I’ll keep looking.

Yep, it'll be worth it in the long run.

Ok quick question, I know it might just be a personal preference to some but how crucial is having a manual over automatic? Will the manual just give you a wider range of control for crawling and what have you, or can you still have the same control in a auto. I found a ‘04 Rubicon that just post a few minutes ago. She’s not the prettiest and has had some work done to her.

Ok quick question, I know it might just be a personal preference to some but how crucial is having a manual over automatic? Will the manual just give you a wider range of control for crawling and what have you, or can you still have the same control in a auto. I found a ‘04 Rubicon that just post a few minutes ago. She’s not the prettiest and has had some work done to her.

Before the automatic versus manual debate starts again...

In many peoples mind, automatics are better for off-roading. Especially when it comes to rock crawling, if you want the best transmission for off-roading on hardcore rock trails, get an automatic. There is nothing wrong with automatic Jeeps. If you like the 04 rubicon you're looking at and want an automatic, I would go for it. If you want a manual, search for a manual. You'll never be happy with the Jeep if you think you'll be happier with the opposite transmission.

Just be sure to post some photos and information on the Jeep you're looking at up here in a new thread. I'm sure a lot of people will be able to give some insight into the Jeep and whether or not it would be a good purchase.

5861C1A3-7462-40D3-BBAC-D1EC8F88C9C7.png
Before the automatic versus manual debate starts again...

In many peoples mind, automatics are better for off-roading. Especially when it comes to rock crawling, if you want the best transmission for off-roading on hardcore rock trails, get an automatic. There is nothing wrong with automatic Jeeps. If you like the 04 rubicon you're looking at and want an automatic, I would go for it. If you want a manual, search for a manual. You'll never be happy with the Jeep if you think you'll be happier with the opposite transmission.

Just be sure to post some photos and information on the Jeep you're looking at up here in a new thread. I'm sure a lot of people will be able to give some insight into the Jeep and whether or not it would be a good purchase.
Ok, I can definitely start a new thread, since this one isn’t really turning out to be how to distinguish a Rubicon from them the Sport/X/Sahara. I’ll leave this thread with a snippet of what I’m looking at before we jump ships here. Thank you all again greatly.

Reactions: BlueRidge304