How to wire a house receptacle

Never wrapped with electrical tape, but I just do basic stuff and would also never open a box that was still powered.

I have an old house, still have a few runs of the old aluminum two wire stuff, wrapped in black fabric. Asbestos I assume, lol. I've been replacing them as I find them and in the process have run across some really jacked up stuff. Shared neutrals for no apparent reason, really shoddy connections in junction boxes, all the usual nonsense. It's amazing that we have so few electrical fires in this country, especially in the northeast with many 100+ year old houses with original wiring.
Doesn't even have to be 100 years old - when we bought our current house (1963 built), I knew I'd have to deal with the amateur hour wiring done by Goddess only knows how many previous owners. Every time I get involved with the wiring, its always something - most often, disconnected grounds. There's a switch in the family room whose purpose is still unknown, and we've been here 5 years! At least I have yet to find any flying connections like our first house had - or better yet, a spliced electric range circuit that was both flying as well as sans any kind of wire nuts or other connecting devices!

I’m wondering if the tape or not to tape depends on the material composition of the receptacle box. Or commercial / residential requirements, maybe state or local codes.

Watching electricians rough-in residential house after house I’ve never seen electrical tape used on a receptacle to cover the screw terminals. And electrical inspection passes 🤷‍♂️ Though I do occasionally find empty containers of super 33 tape.

I can understand taping somewhat if it’s installed in a metal receptacle box, sure it’s just a little more insurance it won’t short if it somehow loosens up and contacts the box, but otherwise I don’t see the reason if the box is plastic.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve seen receptacles wrapped in tape before, maybe twice and I’m not saying it’s not correct.. I just don’t fully follow its purpose or reasoning. Personally can’t wrap my head around it.

I’d be more suspicious pulling a receptacle from the wall and finding it covered in electrical tape than pulling one without. And on top of it if pulling and hot swapping the receptacle I’d definitely be a lot more pissed if I had to unwind old tacky electrical tape to access the screwheads.

Reactions: Zorba
This is a non-taping electrical question(I am a taper btw), but my son’s ceiling fan is on the highest setting but only spins as if it’s on low. I’ve tried replacing the capacitor and switching out ceiling fans completely with the same result. I’m thinking it has to be some kind of wiring issue. Any ideas on what this could be? I’m not too electronically savvy, so if this gets too complicated I’ll have a pro look at it but would like to try and solve this problem myself.

Last edited:
This is a non-taping electrical question(I am a taper btw), but my son’s ceiling fan is on the highest setting but only spins as if it’s on low. I’ve tried replacing the capacitor and switching out ceiling fans completely with the same result. I’m thinking it has to be some kind of wiring issue. Any ideas on what this could be? I’m not too electronically savvy, so if this gets too complicated I’ll have a pro look at it but would like to try and solve this problem myself.
Measure the voltage at the fan while its on. I'm wondering if the wall switch (I'm ASS-U-ME-ing there is one) is defective, although they usually just fail completely, not partially. Odd problem!

Measure the voltage at the fan while its on. I'm wondering if the wall switch (I'm ASS-U-ME-ing there is one) is defective, although they usually just fail completely, not partially. Odd problem!

I have already replaced the wall switch but I didn’t check to see if the voltage between the switch and fan are the same.. I’ll start there

Never thought of the wall switch being the reason a fan won't spin. We have one that just stopped working all together (the lights work). Where would I measure the voltage? the wires going into the fan?

BTW back to taping, as @03coloradowrangler brought up a good point, my FIL was strictly a commercial electrician in the 60's through 80's and exclusively used metal boxes, now they are plastic.

Never thought of the wall switch being the reason a fan won't spin. We have one that just stopped working all together (the lights work). Where would I measure the voltage? the wires going into the fan?

BTW back to taping, as @03coloradowrangler brought up a good point, my FIL was strictly a commercial electrician in the 60's through 80's and exclusively used metal boxes, now they are plastic.
Anywhere on the load side of the switch that's accessible. If some idiot didn't tape the switch, you might be able to measure there, using suitable care.

• Haha
Reactions: cliffish
Tape around the receptacle is usually a sign of amateur work. Just sayin'. Completely unnecessary.
I’ve been an electrican for 25 years and licensed since 2007. Wrapping receptacles in cut in boxes is hardly a sign of amateur work. That’s a sign of someone who understands the trade enough to put a little extra time and effort to install a better product.

Reactions: bucky
I’ve been an electrican for 25 years and licensed since 2007. Wrapping receptacles in cut in boxes is hardly a sign of amateur work. That’s a sign of someone who understands the trade enough to put a little extra time and effort to install a better product.
Bullshit. There's nothing more annoying than having to deal with the tape that some idiot put on a device. COMPLETELY un-necessary - unless you're letting the device hang out of the wall on a pigtail. Otherwise, it certainly is NOT a "better product", its amateurism at its worst. If it was necessary/needed it would be in the NEC. It is not. Same goes for the morons who tape up wire nuts or ScotchLoks.

Bullshit. There's nothing more annoying than having to deal with the tape that some idiot put on a device. COMPLETELY un-necessary - unless you're letting the device hang out of the wall on a pigtail. Otherwise, it certainly is NOT a "better product", its amateurism at its worst. If it was necessary/needed it would be in the NEC. It is not. Same goes for the morons who tape up wire nuts or ScotchLoks.
Your opinion is duly noted and filed accordingly.

• Haha
I have already replaced the wall switch but I didn’t check to see if the voltage between the switch and fan are the same.. I’ll start there
have not dealt with fan switches, but is the fan wired for control by a fan speed toggle switch possibly or just wired for a regular toggle. food for thought.

No speed toggle on wall switch. Just the simple on and off switch and Dan speed controlled by pull chain on the fan itself

Let’s start another useless debate. Which way do you put the ground plug? Up or down?
NEC does not care and they are plenty of valid points for either orientation. The original outlets in my house were all ground up but as I replace them I am going ground down as some of new outlets I am putting in have additional features (USB etc) and they look funny with the lettering upside down.
OK, I will, do you keep the slot on the screw on the cover horizontal or vertical?:LOL:
Does not matter but you should at least care about your work enough to make them all match.

NEC does not care and they are plenty of valid points for either orientation. The original outlets in my house were all ground up but as I replace them I am going ground down as some of new outlets I am putting in have additional features (USB etc) and they look funny with the lettering upside down.
Dad always told me that it depended on the shop one was working for. He worked 99% commercial/industrial and apparently the vast majority of shops working in that sector oriented grounds up. I've seen cords oriented both ways - seemingly ground down for more residential use, and ground up for commercial, but I've seen exceptions both ways and have turned my share of receptacles around to accommodate.